• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

Remington 870

Buck 120

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the following:

Remington 870 Express

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum

Remington 870 Wingmaster

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

crisop

Model 870™ Express® Combo Features

All of the great features and benefits of the 870 Express line

Versatility of a 23" fully-rifled cantilever barrel and a 28" Vent Rib barrel (Mod. Rem Choke included)

Black oxide finish and durable black synthetic stock and fore-end

Fully rifled 23" cantilever scope mount barrel for unparalleled sabot slug accuracy

Shoots both 2 3/4" and 3" magnum loads with equal efficiency

Model 870™ Express® Super Magnum Features

Pump action reliability with 12-Gauge 3 1/2" shotshell capability

Full coverage Mossy Oak® Break-up™

2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" capability with Hi-Viz® bead sight

Includes matching camo sling

Model 870™ Wingmaster® Features

All of the great standard features of our famed 870 Wingmaster

Both the 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge will cycle 2 3/4" and 3" magnum shells with equal efficiency

Semi-Fancy Claro Walnut high gloss stocks and fore-ends

Pheasant and duck game scenes engraved receiver with gold plated trigger

Silver grip cap with raised Remington® script “R” logo

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest Patch

Express is cheaper, not quite as smooth as a Wingmaster. Wingmaster is obviously more expensive, but I'd say worth the money. Depends on how often you use it, what you use it for, ie. the Express is more prone to rusting without a lot of care whereas the Wingmaster is a little more forgiving.

Guest The Duck

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the following:

Remington 870 Express

Remington 870 Express Super Magnum

Remington 870 Wingmaster

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

The express and the wingmaster have the same side ejection action. This action is awesome...easy to clean (really easy to take apart and put back together) and it will NEVER fail you. It's a MUCH easier to action to maintain than the bottom ejection Browning BPS.

The express is not blued like the wingmaster is ( that is why it is a little more prone to rusting if you are not careful. The wingmaster is also made with walnut, while the wood on the express is birch. This makes a difference to the feel of the gun. The wingmaster is a much "nicer" (and more expensive ) gun, because of the way it is finished, but no less reliable or effective than the express.

Express versions also come with black synthetic stocks. Basically this gun feels like plastic. A synthetic stock feels incredibly COLD on your hands in a duck blind. ( I'm serious ). The birch wood 870's are much nicer than the synthetic models. ( in my opinion).

As for the "super magnum " versions.....The difference is they take 3 1/2 inch loads. Regular "magnums" take 3 inch loads. Shooting a 3 1/2 inch high velocity load through a pump action gun isn't much fun and it's unnecessary. 3 inch loads are cheaper, often faster ( 1450 to 1550 fps ) , easier to shoot, .... And they kill birds just as well as 3 1/2 inch loads. ( again in my opinion )

You don't need the super magnum version. If you feel you do, then... "knock yourself out". It will shoot either load.

You cannot go wrong with an 870. I'd get the express with wood ( birch ) in a 3 inch action for a duck gun in a second. I'd stay away from the cheap feeling plastic stock. The Wingmaster is a beautiful gun but it might get a bit "used" hunting ducks a lot.