• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dirttracker18

Where are we in the deer rut?

The deer on my property are not acting like they normally do, and my neighbour found an eaten up deer carcass in the woods last weekend. He also has wolves in his yard. Definitely and odd year.

Fishbum
On December 3, 2015 at 3:26:39 PM, Nnev said:

This is exactly what's happening to me. From 6PM - 2AM there is anywhere from 6-10 different bucks alone or up to 4 coming to my feed pile. No does, no fawns.. just night bucks. It's super frustrating.

EXACTLY!!!!   The same situation here 5 different bucks on camera every night for past two week. There always there 2-3 at a time but nothing in day and not one doe or fawn ?!??   However did shoot a big 8 the other day that was following a doe in a different area tho 

gsambray

Definetely hard to pattern this year. So far I had one good day where there was rut action going on and the rest of the season been hit or miss. I've noticed that the colour of the deer I've seen so far have been a lot more brown then there usual grey this time of year

TroutHunter

Getting frustrated on passing up on does earlier in the year! Give me 45min more of shooting light and I'm sure i can get one!  Hop outta the tree around 5:20, check cams when i get home, deer are there around 6:00... sooo frustrating!!! 

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Nnev
On 05/12/2015, 17:50:48, TroutHunter said:

Getting frustrated on passing up on does earlier in the year! Give me 45min more of shooting light and I'm sure i can get one!  Hop outta the tree around 5:20, check cams when i get home, deer are there around 6:00... sooo frustrating!!! 

Checked this weekend. 6-615 they show up with bells on and enjoy the evening in front of my cam just like every other day for the last 3 weeks.

I set up my cams on the entrance and exit routes to my food pile before I left on Sunday to find out which way the favour coming in. I'm going to set up upstream depending on what time they're coming in this weekend for my one last hurrah and try to catch them before dark.

Dirttracker18

I had at least two moving in last night but they would not come into view.  Same as always, as soon as it gets dark they are in.  They were staging in the thick stuff just out of view.

I may have to set up a blind farther up the trail for next weekend.

The Great Outdoors

hunt or be hunted

Well I'm a firm believer in that no deer is nocturnal, at some point they move during daylight hours it's just a matter of find where their safe zone is that they are comfortable doing this is in, finally last week I grabbed all my cameras and moved them deep into the woods to find movement and sure enough in the deepest nastiest cover I could find they were moving during daylight hours, took a lot work to get into their safe zones and sneak around as undetected as possible but it worked and filled both my doe tag and buck tag in 2 days of hunting. 

PRO V

..........you can manipulate when deer come into your stand, not sure how or when you guys lay your feed. I will only lay feed in the morning hours, deer are creatures of habit once you set a time frame you can almost set your watch to it. To me laying  feed  at night is a waste, it's ok for a bit  to see what the camera picks up, if I like what I see        

I'll change to day time feed only. We shoot the majority of our deer between 9am and 1pm. For the posters above if deer are coming in after you leave and this is an ongoing issue the deer are staging and are watching you leave you should set up a  stand or two  in the staging areas and trails they are using to come into your main stand to get one step ahead. or change up when you lay feed.

Mike

• Like 1

Dirttracker18

My issue is I hunt on relatively small private land and the deer are coming in from other private property.

I am sizing up my options but they are limited.

The Great Outdoors

Nnev

PRO V - That is a lesson I've taken from this year. I'm a new(er) big game hunter and there will be no more flying out to my stand after work weekdays to drop feed. I only blame myself:( I won't be hunting my feed pile this weekend and my cameras are moved to find the staging areas right now,

hunt or be hunted

Not sure what reason or cause for it but yesterday late afternoon had the bucks on their feet pretty good, seen 2 nice bucks one 8 pointer and beautiful 12 pointer right out in the wide open clear cuts near my home, also got a call from a fellow hunter that him and his buddy both filled their bucks tags yesterday between 3/430! Defifintly an odd year no matter where u are, what ur doing, how ur feeding, everything is just off.

scandiman
11 minutes ago, hunt or be hunted said:

Not sure what reason or cause for it but yesterday late afternoon had the bucks on their feet pretty good, seen 2 nice bucks one 8 pointer and beautiful 12 pointer right out in the wide open clear cuts near my home, also got a call from a fellow hunter that him and his buddy both filled their bucks tags yesterday between 3/430! Defifintly an odd year no matter where u are, what ur doing, how ur feeding, everything is just off.

Doesn't surprise me that your buddy and his friend filled their tags yesterday. Secondary rut right now ish. 

Dirttracker18

Snow storm to start Sunday, I am hoping the pressure drop gets them moving on Saturday evening.  I am also prepped to go Sunday morning in case the storm is a little slow moving in.

Last kick at the can, good luck everyone.

The Great Outdoors

Dirttracker18

Out last night and this morning and moved up trail.

Nothing but lots of overnight tracks.

Calling for a storm on Wednesday so I will make one last try Tuesday evening.

The Great Outdoors

Walked around in the woods today, on my way out saw tracks that werent there on my way in. Mixed deer and wolf tracks.

That says everything you need to know about my season.

TroutHunter

arrowed a nice doe about 20min ago... ran inside to change clothes and then its time to track! i was giving up hope on the season and then this happened... pressure is FINALLY off!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

TroutHunter

I found HIM after a great blood trail and 30yds of tracking (fresh snow sure speeds things up a lot)... turned out to be a nice button buck. was difficult to tell from up in the tree stand.  They all taste great regardless!! good luck to everyone else over the next 2 days. Hopefully this snow gets them moving around!  

Dirttracker18

Congrats!

The Great Outdoors

Nnev
17 hours ago, TroutHunter said:

I found HIM after a great blood trail and 30yds of tracking (fresh snow sure speeds things up a lot)... turned out to be a nice button buck. was difficult to tell from up in the tree stand.  They all taste great regardless!! good luck to everyone else over the next 2 days. Hopefully this snow gets them moving around!  

Congrats!

PRO V

Did you change anything up.? or did you put the time in, in your current stand.

Mike

Dirttracker18

Well I went out for the final evening and finally had a deer come in, 6 point buck.

He came in twice but I couldn't get a shot.

See ya next season 6 pointer.  Maybe he'll be an 8 by then.

The Great Outdoors

TroutHunter
14 hours ago, PRO V said:

Did you change anything up.? or did you put the time in, in your current stand.

Mike

I changed things up a bit. Switched from baiting after work (4:00pm) to late mornings, and i let the stand rest a bit as i hunted it pretty hard the last month or so. I'm not sure if it was the switch in baiting, or the snowfall/temp drop last wknd... either way i'm happy i have a full freezer.  thanks for the advice, i'll definitely remember that for next year. 

Dirttracker18

Seems like lots of guys found this to be a tough deer season.

I guess I can't complain as I harvested a doe early in the season so we have some meat in the freezer.  No buck though and my wife harvested nothing.

Big plans and dreams for next year.

The Great Outdoors