• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dirttracker18

Where are we in the deer rut?

Dirttracker18

Maybe this can be an ongoing thread where people update but for now I am wondering if anyone has seen or heard any signs to point to where we are right now?

Anyone see or hear any sparring yet? Even light stuff? See any bachelor groups?

I have not had a lot of time to scout so hoping some info will give me some ideas on what to expect and my best chance calls.

Any thoughts?

The Great Outdoors

ghart

read the fall magazine

http://nwoutdoors.ca/

Page 22 .....

Timing based on biology and local observations.

Have a good month before calling starts to work.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

randomheroj

I've just seen button bucks and smaller point bucks play fighting... only does are grouping up now from what I've seen on my cameras

Dirttracker18

read the fall magazine

http://nwoutdoors.ca/

Page 22 .....

Timing based on biology and local observations.

Have a good month before calling starts to work.

Calls work from early pre rut, to pre rut, rut and post rut. Knowing where were are in that (what stage) would determine what might work.

As you noted, looking for local observations.

Randomheroj

I have started seeing the button bucks and tiny spikers coming around too. Change is slowly starting.

The Great Outdoors

ghart

Has anyone had luck rattling in these parts?

I've never heard a fight, have tried rattling a few times with no results.

Have grunted in a few big bucks with a tend grunt/doe can call combo the last few years.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Dirttracker18

I cant say I have but I am relatively new to deer. My understanding is that rattling is a bit of an art. It has to be used subtly and very conservatively. Listen to some fights on you tube and gauge the sounds and duration to help develop a rattle that works.

Like you, I have called in bucks with grunts and doe calls.

Here's an interesting article about calling!

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/tactics/rut/huntingtactics_wt_transitional_1208/

The Great Outdoors

Guest 2112

i had a buck come right up to the stand i as hunting last year. first deer i ever shot. it left a doe to come challenge my rattle so it must work

Dirttracker18

Not sure what you're getting at? Once the season opens we are just wasting time away if we are not focused. I figured this local forum is the place to share info.

Also, October is right around the corner.

The Great Outdoors

Guest fish9876

I was just saying that it is still early for the deer rut. Still the time of year to focus on food and bedding. End of october is usually when things pick up in pace for the rut. I have however used deer grunts to arouse curiosity out of does in early october. Between 3 and 5 short grunts.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Has anyone had luck rattling in these parts?

I've never heard a fight, have tried rattling a few times with no results.

Have grunted in a few big bucks with a tend grunt/doe can call combo the last few years.

I find rattle is best for big bucks. Surprisingly effective before mating starts.

I've heard bucks lock antlers many times . I can't rattle anywhere as loud as they were. Unreal. I was shocked they can make that much noise.

Last year had over 10 come in to rattle alone. I use real horns

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

walleyewarrior

Real horns are key. I also stomp the ground while rattling. The extra pounding on the ground really seems to bring bucks in

gsambray

Does have been coming into calls but the Bucks seem to only be moving when it's dark. Hopefully they start to stay out longer and come out earlier soon. Saving my antler less for when I'm on holidays and it's getting harder and harder to not squeeze the trigger when they stand broadside I front of me

naden

Have any of you had any luck using the rattle bags for calling in deer? Im refering to the mesh bags with the plastic sticks in them.

Ive tried them a few times and managed to only call in a curious doe.

Nnev

Went out to check the cams and replenish the feed that I put out last Friday. 5 new ground scrapes popped up so I guess things are starting to get going.

Gwhunter99

Have any of you had any luck using the rattle bags for calling in deer? Im refering to the mesh bags with the plastic sticks in them.

Ive tried them a few times and managed to only call in a curious doe.

I have success with them. Surprisingly they are louder than real antlers. So keep that in mind

naden

I have success with them. Surprisingly they are louder than real antlers. So keep that in mind

Thanks for the reply, I too was surprised at how loud they are. Do you see that as advantage over real horns or are they too loud? I like that they are small and that I can tuck them into my pockets

Gwhunter99

Thanks for the reply, I too was surprised at how loud they are. Do you see that as advantage over real horns or are they too loud? I like that they are small and that I can tuck them into my pockets

I feel they work the same. I start quiet and if nothing, I hammer them for 30sec plus. I prefer having the small and convenient size of the rattle bag
  • Like 1

Monks

Checked out a few of my areas yesterday. Scrapes and rubs started, not being hit to hard yet but this next week they should be on the move more. Grunt tubes and some rattling should be working well drawing in the curious bucks.

post-675-0-42129900-1445731826_thumb.jpe

post-675-0-27545600-1445731921_thumb.jpe

Dirttracker18

Same here. Oddly though I am finding many more scrapes than rubs at this point.

Exciting to try and find some time this week to get out and try to work some of these areas.

The Great Outdoors

Nnev

I've found about a dozen ground scrapes but no rubs. Where about's is your hunt spot Monks? No details needed. just general ie Towards the border, Murillo, Oliver Paipoonge. I hunt 2 spots towards the border and Oliver Paipoonge and sometimes see a difference of 2 weeks between the rut start and end in the two areas.

Jayfishin

Usually around Halloween we have had pretty good success with rattling as the bucks seem to be cruising as the rut starts up. Lets hope the temps stay cool for next week when we head west! ;)

TroutHunter

Watched a small 8pt chasing around 2 does tonight for an hour or so. He was eating some feed when he noticed them, his head dropped and he was hot on those girls! Chased them around the woods and back to my bait pile 2 or 3 times in an hour or so. I still think it may be a bit early yet IMO.

• Like 1

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Buck fever has set in. !!!?

Hunting a new stand today . small buck walks into call. Like on a string. Stood up to draw on him at like 10 yds. Fall arrest Tree strap too low !!! Couldn't stand up . half standing i drew bow tried to lower sights. No room!!! bow limbs on my legs . trid to lift and let down bow. Legs got shakey had to sit. Somehow ejected my knocked arrow. Lands under me

Buck takes 2 steps to my left still 10 yds. Reload Draw. No shot for like 45 seconds. Let down bow . cam hits armrest . Ting!!! ..... Ahhhh. Lol

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President