• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

Summer in reveiw

hookset

Now that hunting seaon is getting ever closer. It is time for me to hang up the rod for another long, long, winter. How was everybodie's season on the fly? I didn't get out as much as I would have liked, and there are a few places that I didn't get to. But all in all when I did get out I always had a good day. Zonker streamers really worked well for me. From a size 12 to size 2. The trout couldn't get enough of them. I would have liked to try more dry fly fishing. Streaming the zonkers fast close to the surface provided lots of ariel assults and endless entertainment. I already have started planning my fly box for next year.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I did well for steel. Alright for specks, decent for bass and pike, and really good with pinks. Only fished out of a boat a few times. Lots of river action. Good year for me. No such thing as fishing enough though.

brookiebuster

My best season yet. Lots of trout action and some bass and walleye on the fly. Recently lots of pinks. Don't hang up the rod yet! I'll be fly fishing till December for bows starting at the end of the month.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

johnr

So.......focussed on fly fishing exclusively the month of June. Had an incredible month of brookies and small mouth. I am a novice fly fisherman that has been "dabbling" for many years and finally committed to an honest effort! I had, in the past, caught specs on dry presentations using royal coachman and various muddler minnows but found they were effective only periodically during the dog days of summer. I began June throwing my usuals and progressed [due to zero action] to a variety of streamers until I found a "grey ghost" that drove them crazy! I wore out 4 or 5 until the pattern stopped. I then switched to a wet coachman [after tying and retying many more minnow imitations ]drifted along the bottom. They slammed it for another week until that pattern as well stopped! The fishing was so good I picked up a lighter fenwick rod and reel with a drag due to losing som brutes! I have now advanced to learn that I can catch fish on flys when they are starving or there is very little other food available but am back to square one when the hatchs begin! I will exclusively commit to the fly for brookies next spring and may even pick up a book or two this winter........ I get the affliction!

Clewis

Hey guys. i know this is an old post but i was wondering if 

On October 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM, johnr said:

So.......focussed on fly fishing exclusively the month of June. Had an incredible month of brookies and small mouth. I am a novice fly fisherman that has been "dabbling" for many years and finally committed to an honest effort! I had, in the past, caught specs on dry presentations using royal coachman and various muddler minnows but found they were effective only periodically during the dog days of summer. I began June throwing my usuals and progressed [due to zero action] to a variety of streamers until I found a "grey ghost" that drove them crazy! I wore out 4 or 5 until the pattern stopped. I then switched to a wet coachman [after tying and retying many more minnow imitations ]drifted along the bottom. They slammed it for another week until that pattern as well stopped! The fishing was so good I picked up a lighter fenwick rod and reel with a drag due to losing som brutes! I have now advanced to learn that I can catch fish on flys when they are starving or there is very little other food available but am back to square one when the hatchs begin! I will exclusively commit to the fly for brookies next spring and may even pick up a book or two this winter........ I get the affliction!

Hi. i know this is an old post but I've just started getting into fly fishing more often for rainbows and specks, i was wondering if you've ever fly fished the mackenzie under the highway or higher up. It looks very fishy but i haven't heard much about it. if not, do you have any small streams for catch and release fly fishing for little natives you wouldn't mind sharing? i just can't seem to find any little streams that hold brookies that aren't over fished. Thanks, 

Cohen

johnr

Hello....The Mackenzie is worth the trip. The fish are "educated" due to extreme pressure from the falls, which are located just upstream of the highway down to the lake. I seldom fish downstream of the falls anyway due to very slippery rocks and traffic! If I take you at your word to keep it on the down low..... drive to the mackenzie station road [just before the river from town] and turn left. You can access the Mackenzie above the falls from the power lines that intersect it. The river will be within 1-2 km of the road all the way up. As well, fish the feeder creeks that flow into it that cross the Mackenzie station road. They all have specs! Googlle earth will identify the roads, creeks and river......Good luck