• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishman1

Scent lock suits and scent away sprays

fishman1

It amazes me at how many hunters think they become invisible after using these products.

People using shampoo, deodorant, cooking, fueling vehicles etc, and then thinking they can spray themselves down or put on a suit and become invisible.

I own such a suit and have used these spray products and when an animal gets downwind from me, he has never been fooled.

I I can only see that. These products are nothing more than a waste of money designed to make a hunters wallet lighter.

Any thoughts?

toma-hawk

You are right what you said about the wind. Wind is the most important.I use the spray on my boots and legs when I walk to my stand.I also drag a deer scent behind me.Also I hang deer scent around my stand,I believe this helps mask my scent better.I've done this for many many years it works for me.I rifle and bow hunt. I do not own the scent free cloths.But I know lots that do and if you believe it helps go for it even if it just helps your train of thought. That may be enough to give u the advantage. good luck hunting.

Rick

walleyewarrior

Do they mask your scent 100 %...not a chance. I am a firm believer that they work though. My father and I hunted out of the same blind last year. I always wore the scent proof clothing and he never did. Didn't believe it worked. He never saw a deer no matter how many hours he sat in that blind. I on the other hand shot two with my bow. One at 12 yards the other at 23 yards. I also saw at least another dozen during that time. Even if the scent proof suit only helps reduce your scent I'm looking for any advantage I can get. Well worth the money in my opinion.

hunt or be hunted

Well u are right that they don't cover ur scent 100% and playn the wind is a MAJOR factor hunting whitetails, but if u wear the proper clothing, yes use the shampoo and the works, keep the clothing in air tight sealed containers it definitely ups ur game to better covering ur human scent u give off. I never used to use any of those products and I would see deer fairly often in the tree stand but nothing compared to how many I see now using and following a scent control suit, shampoo, air tight containers, and of course my OZONIC's !!!!! But if ur gonna hunt in a covered box blind for deer that are 100 plus yards out then all this doesn't fully apply to you in the same sense as being up close and personal within less then 50yrd of ur animal! Curious to hear what others think and say as well! Cheers boys and happy hunting !

Dirttracker18

Do they mask your scent 100 %...not a chance. I am a firm believer that they work though. My father and I hunted out of the same blind last year. I always wore the scent proof clothing and he never did. Didn't believe it worked. He never saw a deer no matter how many hours he sat in that blind. I on the other hand shot two with my bow. One at 12 yards the other at 23 yards. I also saw at least another dozen during that time. Even if the scent proof suit only helps reduce your scent I'm looking for any advantage I can get. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Agreed and have seen the same thing. Those of us scent locked get deer and those that do not see no deer.

You are certainly not invisible but I will take all the advantages I can get and I believe it works as intended. Like anything else it is not the end all be all but rather another piece of the puzzle.

The Great Outdoors

Fisherman08

Well! I am a firm believer in scent cover up sprays. I use it all. Last weekend I had 7 deer come into my stand. They came in from behind me walking right underneath me. There looking around feeding and noses up and in the air sniffing away. For sure I am going to have an Ozonic's for stand next year as well.

I can't wait till this weekend to see what comes in.

luckmedic

I agree with most of the comments so far. Optimally I wash my hunting gear in scent free detergent, hang it outside and keep it in an airtight container once dry. I also wash up in scent free detergent and change into my hunting clothes once I get to the stand so I don't get my truck's scent on the outside of my gear. I can tell a significant difference in the deer's behaviour from when I do these steps compared to when I'm a little lazy and go for a quick hunt. On a windy day and in a poorly placed stand these steps won't help as much, but if it helps mask my scent a bit and make the deer a little more brave I'm more than happy to do it. We spend so much money on equipment and so much time in the field, why not reduce the human scent we bring out there. Lather up with Axe and Head & Shoulders if you want to, I'll stick with Tink's.

:smiley-sport020:If you wanna blow smoke, go have a dart. :fishing:

fishman1

thanks for the reply, it could just be coincidence, if the deer weren't in the area, you won't see them no matter what you wear.

It's like fishing steelhead, one angler fishes a pool that has no fish in it. He fishes for hours and gets nothing using yarn.

His partner is using roe, enters a pool that has 20 fresh run fish in it.

He slays them.

The anglers then determine that roe is much more effective when in actuality, it had nothing to do with it.

Some years you can sit in a stand and see very few deer, then the next day the stars align, and they are tripping over you.

Was it the scent spray we used????

Guest Beamer

I will put it this way, do I use scent reducing products and clothes? yes, do I believe they work? well I will say they are part of my success just like all of my gear. I put and chose my hunting gear for overall success and anyone who sprays scent killer on and used scent control clothing then ignores basic hunting practices like using the wind in your favour is just kidding themselves. Using these products with good hunting skills can only help your overall success and I believe in them as part of my overall success.

Monks

Science has proven the amount of carbon in scent lok suits is completely ineffective. Many studies on it and the temperatures it takes to make it effective again, not possible. As for the sprays, you can make your own at a fraction the cost. Anything that says "replicated human odours" on a bottle really is telling you it's crap. Anyways... I practice scent control for deer, I wash my hunting gear in a vinegar baking soda wash and add some UV soap. I try and hunt my stands for the correct winds but thermals and such are not as predictable. I see a lot of deer every year, down wind etc. I no longer use commercially sold clothing that claims " scent proof or the such" or any of the sprays. Based on my research they are made To sell the hunter and not the deer. I do wear non breathable Rivers West hunting clothing which is quiet, waterproof and warm which all keeps me in the stand longer.

Hey if you want to believe scent lok clothing works and it improves your hunt great, do it.

Most of all be confident in your hunting skills and knowledge of the surrounding terrain. No amount of scent control will fool a deer, but knowing the elements that will give you away will. Good luck everyone, the Rut approaches :).