• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

Smoking while deer hunting

gsambray

google has so many websites with there ideas on the topic if cigarette smoke hurts your chances while out deer hunting. I have read through a lot of them and decided to post on here to see what my fellow hunters opinions are

ghart

Ever see a deer smoking?

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

gsambray

Actually yes. My buck I shot last year was taken while having a smoke lol

fishman1

According to some here, as long as u have a scent lock suit on and have used scent away spray, your good to go.

gsambray

Ha ha lol. Apparently. I try not to smoke but sometimes I do and if that's the case I try to play the wind game

toma-hawk

I was bird hunting Friday on my quad.Can around a corner and smelled cigarette smoke about a min or so a jeep was coming the other way with 2 young guys in it one was smoking the wind was in my favor. I would think the animals can smell it also ,if the wind was in there favor.

Rick

hunt or be hunted

Well I deffinitly wouldn't say ur good to go smoking with a scent lock suit and spray on lol have one lit up when ur deer shows itself at 100 yards and see what they do, would be a good little experiment to try and actually see what the outcome is ? I mainly only bow hunt whitetails and ID be hard pressed to see them not affected by the smell at 50yards and steer the opposite way if not smelled even further away

Gwhunter99

I personally don't smoke, but this sept I was hunting elk in Alberta and my buddy smoked flavored cigars everyday while we called in elk after elk. He called it "wind checking" lol. And I'm a firm believer in scent control and wind direction. Maybe smoke isn't that unnatural??

Thefishleclair

Shot deer with a smoke in my mouth a few times. Know another fellow who has gotten nice deer while smoking as well. Deer need to be educated to danger smells first to avoid them.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Fishbum

The way I see it a good friends of mines dad said he would always smoke a cigar moose hunting .. If he had a cigar he'd see a moose with it lit more often than not .. Who knows just saying

But ... Deer and moose have 3 key senses smell, sight and hearing if all they do is smell something with no visual or sound to confirm what they smell or vise versa then they may not be so spooked if just a "weird" smell they may be cautious more but if u can keep still and quite they won't so as much alarm .. Just from my experience...

gsambray

I remember an old timer I was talking to out hunting telling me he smokes while deer hunting all the time. I try not to but he said that deer are very curious and that a new smell to them will make them come in to investigate what the smell is.

fishman1

Anyone that thinks smoking attracts deer or any game animal is only fooling themselves.

Deer attracted to cigarette or cigar smoke?? Seriously??? Did your deer come in downwind from the smoke???

I hardly think so.

They do have scent sticks on the market, but I have yet to see a cigar scent stick.

Perhaps that is the cause of our demise of the moose herd, they ran into the forest fires instead of away from it.

• Like 1

scandiman

In my opinion there are obvious situations where smoking a cigarette would hinder your chances at harvesting a deer. One such situation would be wind direction. If you don't play the wind correctly, then I would venture to say that deer will never present itself for a good shot.

That said, I know many sucessful hunters (over 30 deer harvested on average) that smoked while hunting. That being said, they were all rifle hunters and played the wind correctly.

If you are a bow hunter, I am going to say its a completely different story, as you are requiring that deer to come into a much closer radius, that even with wind control, I would say you're going to be busted 9 out of 10 times if youre smoking on stand or blind.

Also, with respects to the whole scent control idea, do you think the old school hunters that harvested many animals before us were using scent control?! I bet not lol.

In my opinion, if you are going the scent control route, don't waste a ton of money on scent control products. Baking soda (make sure you mix it up first) works wonders for washing your hunting clothes and then keeping them stored away from everyday regular smells that might spook deer, will go a long way.

Play the wind in your favour and you'll be sucessful.

Dirttracker18

In my opinion there are obvious situations where smoking a cigarette would hinder your chances at harvesting a deer. One such situation would be wind direction. If you don't play the wind correctly, then I would venture to say that deer will never present itself for a good shot.

That said, I know many sucessful hunters (over 30 deer harvested on average) that smoked while hunting. That being said, they were all rifle hunters and played the wind correctly.

If you are a bow hunter, I am going to say its a completely different story, as you are requiring that deer to come into a much closer radius, that even with wind control, I would say you're going to be busted 9 out of 10 times if youre smoking on stand or blind.

Also, with respects to the whole scent control idea, do you think the old school hunters that harvested many animals before us were using scent control?! I bet not lol.

In my opinion, if you are going the scent control route, don't waste a ton of money on scent control products. Baking soda (make sure you mix it up first) works wonders for washing your hunting clothes and then keeping them stored away from everyday regular smells that might spook deer, will go a long way.

Play the wind in your favour and you'll be sucessful.

FYI

Scent control is not for the scents you carry with you, such as household smells. The idea is that it restricts your own body odour, your natural smell, from getting out of the suit.

The Great Outdoors

scandiman

FYI

Scent control is not for the scents you carry with you, such as household smells. The idea is that it restricts your own body odour, your natural smell, from getting out of the suit.

FYI

I get that bud. Deer are skittish animals by nature so any unfamiliar smell can sppok them

Dirttracker18

FYI

I get that bud. Deer are skittish animals by nature so any unfamiliar smell can sppok them

No you don't get it.

You suggested that clean clothes with no household smells are a substitute for scent locking/blocking clothes. You said not to waste your time on scent control products.

Two different scent issues that need to be dealt with separately.

The Great Outdoors