• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishman1

1 shot 3 moose

Fishbum

Well said LJB hunters should never give up their rights to moose hunting you will never get it back like some may think ... It's way to easy to take away and way to hard to give anything back !

As for the calves you have a point ... They may or may not survive ... Only difference now would be that if they don't you know they are just feed for the predators( which is where the main problem lives )

Everyone blames the natives ... But it's really not .. Disagree with their rules all you want they are a minute numbers compared to wolves and bears and (deer!!). Let's not forget what happened around Lenora area .. Used to be prime moose hunting and lots of old timers would go there ... Now not a moose to be seen for miles !!! What's changed ... Deer infestation !!!!! Why do you think they give out additional tags so many places to control this ( almost nuisance ) animal which has a know and proven effect on moose populations! Why not make it easier for hunters to harvest more deer and not harder for them ... Let us help !! If not then the moose will suffer and deer will always be a problem ...

Not to mention the ridding wolf numbers comes hand in hand with deer numbers ... What's the easiest food for a wolf a small and relatively weak ( compared to moose ) animal that has no chance in the deep snow. If the mnr stopes trying to have their cake and eat it to then maybe the moose would rebound and survive as they have for 100's of years ( they seemed to do perfectly fine back in the day for years and years )

Benji

Fish24/7 I agree with the need for more deer tags and a wolf cull. Wolves are getting bad for the farmers in the middle of the valley (flat open area). It's so bad my boss had coyotes going after his cows in broad daylight. Something needs to be done about the wolves

Jelly Belly

Wait till the tags shoot way up in price next year. If it doesn't I'd say by the second year. Sad but people will get frustrated and unfortunately give it up. Goverment ain't going to lose there revenue.

• Like 1

arvey

i'm sure n.o.s.a wasn't the only group that brought this to mnr's attention. I would think o.f.a.h. had a lot to say also. why would you say those calves are wasted is it because they could end up being wolf food. that's part of nature and survival . wolves kill moose all year round big or small. a lead pill is final the other is maybe.

Some Old Guy

Food for thought. Anything you require a license for is not a right. Rights are free of charge, unless you are defending them.

Roger.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

toma-hawk

I not sure where you want to go with this Roger.The hunter in question had a cow tag. he is a legal hunter. The decision to shoot his moose at that moment was his own and only his own he did nothing wrong. That is a decision he lives with.If he poached it ,that would be a different thing. By the way congratulations to the hunter for getting his cow moose.

Rick

Some Old Guy

24/7 mentioned to never give up your right to hunt is what I was referring to.

Not trying to provoke. Just saying that if I buy a license for something then it can be revoked.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Spectre

In my opinion sure it was a legal, they had a tag and all that, but if you are at all concerned/conscious of the fact that the moose numbers may be down or on the decline I wouldn't have taken the shot. Have already passed up one cow with a calf.

Not to say that this person was wrong taking the cow though, that's just my own preference and I'm not gonna try and tell someone how they should do their hunt besides being legal :)

Fishbum

24/7 mentioned to never give up your right to hunt is what I was referring to.

Not trying to provoke. Just saying that if I buy a license for something then it can be revoked.

Roger

Okay roger I guess your right .... ( you prolly don't hear that to often so enjoy 😆) lol.

You win this one haha

Jelly Belly

I think the only one here to blame is the mnr for the years of not being able to manage our resources. Last year if they didn't have the calf restrictions I don't think we would be having this discussion. I can be hated or even have it said that I'm unethical but if I had that cow tag. That I paid for that cow would be in our freezer.

robbo

Than you obviously are of the group that does not care about the moose population. Only care is that you shoot something. Why not pay for a side of beef if food is the only concern? Unless shooting something is more important than feeding yourself and family. Can't be cost of meat since when you do the math for gas, ammo, various expenses, etc., beef is still, even at it's price, is way cheaper.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

robbo

The original post was about moose population and life expectancy of calves without the cow. If that is actually the concern than how can a conscientious hunter take a cow with a calf? I'm not condemning anyone for their legal hunt. Just saying that you cannot complain if you are part of the problem to start with.

robbo

I have not even begun to hunt moose this year. Had a lot of extra scouting time. Next week I will go look for the calves we have been seeing this fall. Just like I would any other year except for the dates.

robbo

Wish I had a cow tag so like most years we could take them both. Maybe that's part of the problem. Also, whether it's shot or taken by predators, the calf is still dead is it not? What difference does that make to maintaining the population size? Less food for predators means less breeding by predators? My family has always said that wildlife should probably have first crack at wildlife.

fishman1

If NOSA was managing the herd for the MNR, I can honestly say that it would be in better shape than it is in now. Did NOSA play a part in getting the MNR to recognize that there was a problem, defintely. If the moose hunter paid attention to this issue from the start and understood how the MNR internal policies work, they would have known that there were minimal options that were presented to the stakeholder groups. You could choose door #1,2 or 3. You could not create your own door. Sure there are a lot of disgruntled hunters who blame organizations such as NOSA when decisions are made that they do not agree with, but on the other side, hunters have shown support that moose hunting practices could not remain as they were. I just hope that hunters put as much passion into their comments to the Phase II moose management plan as they do in their threating emails and telephone calls (just less cuss words and name calling :lol: )

i personally had a talk with bill mauro and he stated that it was NOSA s idea for the present management strategy. And they fully backed it.

On the other hand there is no oneolicy that will satisfy all hunters.

fishman1

Wish I had a cow tag so like most years we could take them both. Maybe that's part of the problem. Also, whether it's shot or taken by predators, the calf is still dead is it not? What difference does that make to maintaining the population size? Less food for predators means less breeding by predators? My family has always said that wildlife should probably have first crack at wildlife.

the only difference is that the hunters would enjoy the meat, and my party does not agree that predators should get the meat.

Cribby

Hi all my old friends, I see hunter ethics are in play again..

Can't wait to see this plays out.. Just like bating deer. legal but not ethical. (deer relying on bait and dying after season is over cuz hunters stop feeding them and they rely on it.}

Not changing the subject. but just using it as an example.

fishman1

Hi all my old friends, I see hunter ethics are in play again..

Can't wait to see this plays out.. Just like bating deer. legal but not ethical. (deer relying on bait and dying after season is over cuz hunters stop feeding them and they rely on it.}

Not changing the subject. but just using it as an example.

i would think that the deer would move to a different food source rather than starving. In farmland deer feed on crops, in the winter and after harvest, do all the deer starve????? The crops , feed etc, build up the fat and body helping the animal to survive the lean winter months.

Pumpkinhead

I think there is too much rhetoric and hyperbole in regards this subject we could go on for days trying to outdo each other with our own unique experiences and opinions. In cruising the net looking for data to see what the chances are of an orphaned calf surviving after its mother has been taken by hunters, I found it was hard to pin down exact numbers.There were numbers no doubt, but just the actions of a hunter legally taking a cow moose does not automatically make that calf a 'dead moose walking' . Snow depth and future snow depth, how healthy the calf was at the time the cow was taken, whether it was part of a twin group, the presence of predators (and what type) , are there other family groups of moose that the calf could 'shadow' so that it could benefit from existing snow trails and also a good feeding areas ?, when the calf was born? etc.

I'm wondering if we as hunters are falling into the same type of thinking as non-hunters and even anti-hunters who equate young animals (like our own children) as being completely helpless if their mothers are taken out of the mix. I'm sure some of us will say why don't we just err on the side of caution and ban all calf hunting and give them all a chance. Well, this is where politics sometimes trumps biology. Our moose herd whether we like it or not is dependent on not how green our forests are, but rather how much green goes into the MNRs coffers. Hunters expect results and the MNR is trying to appease the masses rather than a few . Blaming hard working groups like NOSA or the OFAH for the state of our moose herd or even intimating that they are in collusion with the MNR is just silly. Our moose herd may have suffered the effects of a perfect storm of sorts and we are now just seeing the result of a bad political decision made 17 years ago. Add to the fact that our winters are warmer which not only allows moose ticks to thrive but also heat stresses moose out. Deer,which grow like weeds are everywhere and even more predators are waiting in line. The MNR has only a few tools in their toolbox to help our moose herd and it seems to lacks the political direction to bring back our spring bear hunt and also put wolves back on our small game license. Our moose herd took years to falter and it may take quite a few to get it back to where we as hunters are satisfied.