• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pbear

trail camera usage

pbear

I have 4 trail cams but they emit a red light when the ultraviolets are taking pics or videos. I use them strictly for hunting. Is there a model/brand someone could recommend if it is going to do double duty as extra surveillance around the yard in town or at camp (there was someone snooping around on the property last week).

Nnev

Sounds like my dad's trick of getting rid of the check engine light may fix this one for you on the cheap.

Just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

pbear

Sounds like my dad's trick of getting rid of the check engine light may fix this one for you on the cheap.

Just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light.

Unfortunately it won't work in lowlight conditions then. My truck was broken into at night.

hunt or be hunted

Well u could do what I've done and put ur cams way up in the trees 20 plus ft aiming down toward ur area u want pictured, I cut all the limbs off from the ground to 15 ft and just use an extension ladder to reach them, and set up more then one in different locations, it fixed my theif problem real fast and not to mention most thieves don't look up 20/30ft in a tree when their scoping things out prior to steeling and deffinitly aren't looking up a tree at night !

bwkre

Any camera, be it a standard or trail cam, will need some kind of light to enable pictures or video to be taken. The trail cam uses ifrared light which also emits a small amount of light in the red spectrum. This is what you are seeing. There is nothing you can do short of setting outdoor lights to keep the area lit. The lights would then provide enough illumination for the camera. You could also invest in a high power IR spot light and move it back further or higher out of sight. Could be an expensive venture though. A google of IR flood or spot light should provide more details.

I use 2 cameras with a dvr. Each camera has its own built-in ir source. If you look close you can see the emitters glowing but its not really noticable. Each camera has about 20 emitters and lights an area about 30 feet out. A camera that would provide a useable image to id someone( in the dark ) would be rather expensive.

eddylives

A good quality brand name camera with the "no glow" illumination is what you should look at purchasing.

We use a moultrie D-900i and it takes super day light pic and a pretty decent night time pic that you could possibly identify a person.

I have never noticed the camera at night and it has been there for 6 months lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it