• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Iron Ranger

Stand Off With Wolves/VS my Dog

Iron Ranger

I was out partridge hunting two days ago. I had one of my Springers out with me hunting a 10 year old stand of young popple. It has been a great producer of birds this year. We flushed a bird, got it. I heard something busting the brush headed towards me and just stood still. I thought it could be a moose or a deer. I was almost run over by a cow two years ago in the same spot. I stopped and whistled in the dog, he came back to me with the hair on his shoulder standing up. He kept looking ahead. I wasn't sure what to think. I never saw the dog this way.

We stayed in the same spot and I kept petting him and I made out a pair of wolves crossing us just in front of us 30 yds. away. They stopped and sat in front of us.

I was not sure what do at the moment. I did take the shotgun and spank one tree right next to one of the devils. They did take off like scared pups then.

The wolves are just getting out of hand down here and I will be damned if I will have one eat one of my dogs.

• Like 1

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Dirttracker18

Listen up MNR.

Bring the wolves back under the small game license.

There are out of control and need their numbers brough under control.

The Great Outdoors

Benji

My boss has had wolves going after full grown 1200 pound cows in broad daylight. This is in the middle of the valley in the wide open too.

levi64

Seen more wolves in the last 3 years than I have in the last 30 combined.. Get them on my game camera almostly weekly and in the daytime.

BearSlayer

More wolves are seen now in urban areas than have in a long time.I know of people that have had their dogs killed by them wiyhin city limits and have had wolves come right up to the house.I remember when you barely saw one even in the bush.You could call them and they would respond in the distance.Maybe time for a small cull or hunt more deer in the area to cut off some food supply so maybe nature would cull some in winter.Might also save some moose calves.

• Like 1

Guest finska

lost my dog to wolf pack last winter while my daughter.was walking them on the back trails. this was on Melbourne rd by dragon hills golf course.we definitly need to cull them.

Dirttracker18

I am now certain I have a pack of 4-5 living in my and my neighbours backyards.

My deer numbers have dropped off this year and I checked after the recent snowfall and every deer track, and there are few, is paralleled by a wolf track.  Found some kills sites as well.  One site is meters behind my neighbours house.

Something may have to be done here.

• Like 1

The Great Outdoors

Spruce river ? I better watch my dog in the bush.

Im hearing dog walkers are running in to wolves at Boulevard.

pbear

I've never attempted to shoot a wolf even though I've seen a few in the last two years.  What do you do with them once they are down.  Do trappers take the fur?

Monks

Have to say I'm partial to the side of the wolf. Man hates every animal that competes with him. They are amazing animals that survive year in and out. Yup their current population is high. They were not spoken of while deer numbers and moose numbers were high. Drop in tags and numbers and yup blame the wolves. Sorry they follow population levels, they do not control them.

People see them as some viscous predator animal much like people fear a shark. Ya they are hunters and compete. So people fear them. I completely feel for anyone losing a pet to them. I'm about to lose my dog to nature "blastomycosis" it sucks but nature has its way and we are lucky to have the freedom and access to land we do. Ya sure I could eradicate a field with fungasides to eliminate it where it may have come from. Or I can accept I live in northern Ontario and nature is what it is. 

Sorry you had an encounter with a wolf. Maybe next time a cow moose tramples your dog protecting her calf.  Doubt anyone would post too many moose their dangerous threads. 

As outdoors people we really really do need a better message. Look at all the complaining about the newly proposed bear hunt! Really!! It's finally coming back!!!

As outdoors people we need to perceive and live by a message that we respect all aspects of nature despite of our own gain. 

Trust me I love eating and feeding moose and deer meat to my kids. But not at the loss of the species.

I know people are seeing more moose than ever, but on whole moose are declining. It's a fact and one we as hunters contributed to. 

• Like 1

scandiman

Well said Monks!!