• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TroutHunter

Hunting Bedding Areas

TroutHunter

So I purchased a 90 acre lot of land a year ago. It was clear cut 8-10 years ago and has is full of thick poplar regrowth now. I've placed a blind at an intersecting point of 4 trails (old skidder trails). After walking around, I noticed 10 or so deer beds within 250yds of my blind. These beds are in a grassy area next to a chain of beaver ponds. There is mature timber growth roughly 300m to the west (of the blind), and a large cliff face 300yds to the north. South are the beaver ponds and to the east is more clear cut, as well as my future cabin location/parking area. I've included a basic map of the layout.

My question is, would you hunt this area with all of these beds, or would you leave it and find a different spot? If you would hunt it, how would you approach it?? I'm relatively new to deer hunting (started 3yrs ago) and I'll be primarily bow hunting.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Thanks, good luck this fall!

post-1911-0-92234900-1445131052_thumb.jp

• Like 1

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Monks

I would hunt where you have your blind. Based on your explanation and drawing and description of your land. The deer are coming from the mature timber and feeding within your land as it was not cut that long ago and provides shelter and food. I would try and hunt it mid day and evenings with a west or south wind Or combo of these. The deer should be moving out of the mature timber towards you in the eve. This will allow you to walk into your blind during the day while they are still bedded. The beds you have found are probably transition beds where the digest food on their way to the mature timber where I would guess the primary bedding area is. If I were to hunt this in the morning I would go along the area with the cliff to the north and then head south down the mature tree line and sit in a tree stand between the beds you found and the mature timber. I would only do this with a south wind in your case. Good luck

milspec

I'm about as new as you are, but here's my thoughts. I'd just move your blind onto the other side of the road (west side, closer to the mature timber), better chance broadside shots since they're walking past you and not towards you, and getting your vision out of sun. Maybe put the bait pile in the tall grass as well, again, if you're shooting horizontally from your blind, when the deer feed their head is lower in the grass blinding them while they feed giving you more wiggle room to move without being spotted.

Good luck.

Thefishleclair

Hunt the bait. They will come. Property looks nice and sounds familliar. Did u purchase it close to where you live?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB