• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest aanii84

1st time deer hunter

Guest aanii84

Hey guys, just a first time deer hunter here and looking for some advice. I've been preparing for the hunt for almost a year know, accumulating all the neccessary gear and all the info I could get. I can see that there are some real pros on this website that no doubt have tons of useful information. I have a doe tag for wmu 13 and have scouted out the area behind whitefish lake a little. I can't seem to find a real good spot or make a strategy though. I'm not asking for any spots or anything, just maybe if one of the experinced hunters on the board could throw a few tips my way it would be greatly appreciated. Its been hard getting started because it just seems there are so many different tactics to put in to practice when reading it all but when you get out into the field its hard for me to figure out what tactic might be useful. Anyways, any information and tips that would help me be successful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Burkie

Guest TerryK

I think you are maybe trying a bit too hard to have all the latest gear and use all the latest techniques. Hunting is not rocket science. A little deer habitat and behavior knowledge will go a long way to get you started. Most of us older guys started out with a truck, a rifle and a weeks holidays. That's it.

I say keep it simple and just get out there and learn from experience.

Just my opinion of course.

TANGLED

burkie

If you have found an area with good deer sign and light hunting pressure find a good vantage point from which you can see but not be seen and sit STILL! If your spot is anywhere near a feeding or bedding area and you have a reasonable amount of time to put into your hunt sooner or later you'll connect.

good luck

TANGLED

Guest Big Moose

Mission Island!!!!

Nah just kiddin all you can do really is put in the time and sit STILL a blind or tree stand frees you up for a bit of movement.If your seeing good deer sign you'll most likely be seeing a deer sooner or later.A little Deer Chow and a trail cam never hurts.

Slow down and don't put so much pressure on the hunt and enjoy just being out there.

Good luck'

Moose

Gone8to1248

Burkie

At pre-dawn the deer are on thier way back to thier bedding area and just at dusk they start moving around feeding again. During they day they will get up and move a little to go to the bathroom and feed a little but they will stay close to thier bedding area. Get out to your spot while it's still dark and sit thier until at least 9am. Be back on your spot by 3:30-4 pm and be quiet and keep as still as you can. During the day if you are going to stalk deer I suggest you wear wool or silent clothing. Stalking deer can be a lot of fun but never walk into thier bedding area. Once you do that you'll probrably sour the area and they will move because they don't feel safe there any longer. While your sitting there watch the direction they are going in the mornning and the direction they are coming from in the evenning and this will you a good idea of thier bedding area. If there is any new timbering in your area thats a good place to start. Like moose they feed on the new growth and small buds on trees and bushes. If baiting is legal try hanging a sugar ice cream cone on a tree and filling it with apple juice. The scent will fill the area and bring them in at times. 90% of the deer I've gotten was while I was stalking them. This can be a lot of fun and it pits your skills against the deers skills of being advasive. Have fun out there and let us know how you do. Be safe out there!

gone8to1248

arvey

i'm no pro but here's a couple of small minor things that can pay off.

expect the unexpected,when you figure nothings happening that's when it will.

when walking a road or cut go slow,stop and look around use binocs.check tree lines closely.

watch the wind.this time of year the odd low burp might raise some couriousity and bring one out.

arvey

Guest aanii84

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. I'll be sure to keep all the sugestions in mind while hunting. Over the weekend I found an area that looks great for hunting deer. It seems like it may be a bit over hunted but my plan is to just get their early every time i go and to put as much time in as i can and hope for the best. I didn't mean to sound like i was just after the kill or trigger happy or somethin, It just really built up over the off season and I sounded a little overzealous. I know that being outdoors in the bush and enjoying yourself is the most important thing and i always do that. Anyways, thanks a lot guys for the help so far and i'll let you all know how it all unfolds. Good luck to everyone

Burkie