• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
walleyewarrior

Food plots

walleyewarrior

Thinking about making a small food plot on a piece of property I just purchased. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and been successful. What did you plant. When did you plant. What shape is your plot. Just any tips and tricks that will help me be successful. Thanks

Benji

ive thought about doing the same thing before. I've noted deer like soybean fields in December. Plant soybeans and something else?

Dirttracker18

There are some great mixes out there designed for our more northern climate.  I am hoping to start next summer myself and have been researching like crazy since the season closed.

You want a nice mix of growth.  Some that will grow in the summer to bring the deer in early and some growth that is better after the first frost to keep them around all fall.  As I said, there are some mixes like this and that are designed for our short growing season and early frost (usually early, this year was an exception).

Search for northern deer plot seeds and find what suits your location best.  Some do better in shade, some do better in sunlight.  Some are set up for higher ph soils, some for lower.  Lots to figure out before you actually plant.

Start simple and get more into it as the seasons go on.

The Great Outdoors

jonut13

I have been playing around with food plots for ten years or so.  I found the Whitetail Winter Greens to be the best.  But it is PH sensitive. 

Soybeans have worked well also, and you don't really need to fertilize them so you can save some $$$$

xf800

The guy at Bole's feeds last year had a mixture for deer he said that's what they used in Minnesota close to the Canadian boarder. So he might have aoption on what will grow on your ground conditions that deer like.

Dirttracker18
On 1/8/2016 at 4:49 PM, xf800 said:

The guy at Bole's feeds last year had a mixture for deer he said that's what they used in Minnesota close to the Canadian boarder. So he might have aoption on what will grow on your ground conditions that deer like.

Thanks I will talk to him about it!

The Great Outdoors

Benji

More tips... When you go to make the first pass spray with glyphosate (roundup ready) about 2 weeks before. Then use a disk to cut up the residue so you can plow. Then plow with a moldboard plow. Disk again this time to work up the ground more aggressively instead of just cutting and sizing the residue. If you have a fine enough seed bed (disking could take multiple passes!) you can plant with a fertilizer spreader or a dedicated seeding rig. 

What do you use for equipment? 

Ill attach pics of what I'm talking about. Pic 1 is moldboard plow pic 2 is a disk pic 3 is a lawn drop spreader/aerator but it will work for a dedicated seeding rig.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

levi64

I've used alfa seed and all kinds of other seeds, doesn't really matter.  Throw a Mineral lick out there and they will come and they will hang around. 

Thefishleclair

I grew buck and doe chow with great results.....Trick is keeping the birds off it until it sprouts!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB