• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trouter

rules regarding whitefish sliding rig

Guest Trouter

I ice fish a lake in Ontario that has good numbers of both lake trout and whitefish.  Would it be legal for me to tie a whitefish fly about 45 centimeters above a lake trout jig, allowing me to target both species at the same time?  The rules book are not super clear.

lake trout-whitefish rig.jpg

Some Old Guy

Steelhead rigs use two so I think you are good to go. 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

BearSlayer

I thought it was 3 hooks per lure.I use sliding stinger for lakers etc. so that would be 2 ,yes? maybe MNR coulld chime in here.just a thought.

pastor norm

as long as only one of the lures is equipped with a treble.

If the bottom laker lure is something like a Swedish pimple with a treble

and the fly for whitefish is a single hook, it shouldn't be a problem.

In fact it's a good idea.

pbear

When l fish with smaller minnows I will often tie a 2nd bare hook or small jig head 10-12" above the bottom jig and tip it with a minnow. When you hook 2 fish at once, which happened only a couple of times so far, it's a fun fight 

sinker7

As per the regs you are allowed 4 hooks per line.

pastor norm

that's right...four hooks...a treble counts for three of the four

James01

A treble counts for three of the four?  What of Rapalas and other big body baits that have up to three treble hooks?

In answer to the original question, as far as I know you are fine setting a second hook on your line. Think of Pickeral Rigs and other such things. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

sinker7

Pretty sure a treble is counted as '1' hook if it is part of a lure...ie Rapala.  A treble tied directly to the line 'by itself' would be considered 3 hooks. I know there were issues a while back when the quick strike rigs(2 trebles tied in tandem) started to become popular and to avoid the legality issues of too many hooks as small spinner was added to the front of the first treble making it a 'lure'. 

pastor norm

by that definition, you could attach four trebles along on line .... each spaced 20 feet apart and baited with a sucker minnow on each...That doesn't seem legal,

Mr. Canoehead

It seems like a good idea until you hook a fish on the bottom but lose it when the hook halfway up the line snags on the hole as you're reeling in.