• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TroutHunter

Steelhead Reel

TroutHunter

So I'll be in the market for a new fly reel for this upcoming steelhead season.  I found a steal of a deal on eBay for an Orvis Helios 2 9wt and couldn't pass it (possibly a bit heavy for steelies but the price was worth it).  I'm looking to pair it with a decent reel... Any suggestions would be appreciated!  

Thanks, tight lines! 

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

mickleburgh2

Make sure you get something with a large arbor. The new Redington Behemoth reels are getting great reviews, and have a excellent drag system. I got one for my 5wt single handed rod. They are also pretty easy on the wallet, and look pretty sweet too!

It all depends on how much you're looking to spend, but keep doing your research and I'm sure you'll find something that fits!

Clewis

^Yeah I've also started to hear lots about the behemoth reel. For $120 seems like a good idea.. You'd likely have to order one from US though :wacko: unless D&R carries some.

TroutHunter

I checked D&R and unfortunately they do not have the Behemoth .  I was pretty impressed by the Ross CLA though... Butter smooth reel for a good price too.  On top of it, Cabelas had them for basically on clearance!!  $100 off retail price, and was still cheaper with the USD exchange rate conversion!   Picked up the CLA 4 good for 7-9wt rods... Now to pair it with a line!  Oh the joys of spending money on new gear... Gotta continue on with my bargain hunting haha... I suppose its an investment that'll last a long time if well taken care of!  

Anyhow, can't wait for the spring steel run!  Been busy on the vise filing boxes in the meantime waiting for the thaw to come... Looking forward to getting out for some hard fighting chrome!

Tight lines

<'))=^=={

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

fishman1
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 4:08 AM, mickleburgh2 said:

Make sure you get something with a large arbor. The new Redington Behemoth reels are getting great reviews, and have a excellent drag system. I got one for my 5wt single handed rod. They are also pretty easy on the wallet, and look pretty sweet too!

It all depends on how much you're looking to spend, but keep doing your research and I'm sure you'll find something that fits!

Bill boote at dnr carries reddington products.

I am sure he can bring a reel IN

Thinking of a reddington at dnr as my Ifirst spey outfit