• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

Dog Lake Open 2016

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

The 2nd annual DLO Walleye tournament is a go for June 4th, 2016

Please click this link --------> http://silverminnowbait.com for rules and team registration forms.  There will also be registration forms available at the outdoors show this weekend at the Dnr Sporting goods booth and the Intercity Powersports booth.  

Please give me a call at 632-6572 or post on here if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Josh-

FLYER-2016.docx

• Like 2

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I'm in, this event ran awesome last year. Cant wait for take off!

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Adrian

I am not a tournament fisherman, but I wondered about the timing of the event last year, and I see it is the same time this year.  My wondering is that in early June, there are really only 2 fishing spots on Dog Lake, not actually on Dog Lake, but in the rivers.  Would it not be a better challenge to have it in August when there are 100 spots to fish on Dog Lake. 

• Like 2

Pound 4 Pound

I agree with you on that one Adrian it opens a whole lot of fishing opportunities than craming the rivers, there is enough traffic in there at that time of year.

Fishbum

You guys are right ... Majorly dependant on the type of spring the river both can be great fishing ... However having a tournament for walleye mid aug when your pulling fish out of 30fow is very hard on fish .. Not mention the warm water temps at this time ... That is why most walleye tournaments are in June or sept when the water is cooler and it's easier on the fish when they are released 

but it on a side note I'm in again! Last year it ran awesome and had a great tour out 

• Like 1

Yes late summer walleye cause issues with mortality. Especially on a deep body like dog. Last year i don't recall a single non releasable fish at beach in which is impressive on an event that size.

The few fishing spots aren't actually as limiting as you would think. The kam river holds a very successful AYA on way less water. There are dozens of miles of river to be fished in DLO . I didn't have a boat fishing within 100 yds of me all day except fishbum.. :)

It is actually a very good venue for an event with ample opportunity and spots to be fished.  

• Like 1

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP
On 2/28/2016 at 8:42 AM, Adrian said:

I am not a tournament fisherman, but I wondered about the timing of the event last year, and I see it is the same time this year.  My wondering is that in early June, there are really only 2 fishing spots on Dog Lake, not actually on Dog Lake, but in the rivers.  Would it not be a better challenge to have it in August when there are 100 spots to fish on Dog Lake. 

This is a perfect tournament for someone to begin tournament fishing.  Its a new tournament, so most guys that enter are fairly new to the lake/rivers which levels the playing field a bit.  I know with some other tournaments that have been around for a while, certain anglers have there "spots" to fish and always seem to get there first which really helps them do well.  In this tournament everyone is starting fresh as it is new.  Also, I  dont feel this tournament has that "competitive" feel to it yet which is also good for a new tournament fisherman.  This is why for me personally, I enjoyed going into the frazer lake derby when it was running.  I wasn't a big tournament fisherman so because the frazer derby wasn't super competitive, I felt it was just a fun day to get out on the lake.  Whether we won or not wasnt really the main reason for being there.  It was to have fun!  I feel that the DLO is similar in that respect.

As for timing of the tournament, I think a couple guys have answered the question already.  The main reason for having a walleye tournament this time of the year is to keep the fish healthy and releasable.  The last thing we want to see is a bunch of dead fish in a lake due to a tournament ran mid summer.  This wouldn't be good for anyone.  Also, when we were looking at starting this tournament we looked at all the other popular tournaments that were already happening in northern ontario and this was the weekend that there wasn't much else happening.  This would allow anglers to enter even if they were entered into other tournaments.  This was also the weekend that the Frazer Lake derby was on and now that it was no longer running we thought it would be a good weekend for the DLO.

I feel that last years event went very well.  Alot of fish were caught, everyone seemed to have a good time and I didnt see one non-releasable fish.  You should really think about entering this year and give it a shot.  I think you will see how big the lake/rivers actually are out there and that there is more than enough room for everyone to fish!  

Hope to see you out there!

Josh

• Like 1

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

The early bird prize was just confirmed by Kyle at Kashabowie River Resort.

A 2 night stay for up to four people!  A package worth approximately $400.00 plus taxes! 

Get your entries in to be entered into the draw.

Thank you to Kyle and Kash River Resort!!  Check them out at http://Kashabowie.com

WalleyeWayne

We'll be there!

• Like 1

McGinnis_Fishing

sent my entry in today, cant wait!

• Like 2

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

Entries can also be dropped off at dnr sports or intercity powersports!

Grounds Keeper Willie

Is the river off limits or no?

AGGGH

AmateurHourAngling

Nope, everywhere the lake touches is a go

32 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willie said:

Is the river off limits or no?

-JADEN

Grounds Keeper Willie

Hmm hope it's an early thaw and all the fish are done spawning and out of the river. I agree with the comment above it would be a lot more fun to fish the lake. But I also agree with another comment that it's not the best conditions to fish em in deeper water then release them after being in a live well. I will try and make it work for this tournament this year. 

AGGGH

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

Boundries are any water you can access without leaving the water, including rivers, from Dog Lake.

Josh

Only 3.5 weeks left to get your entries in to be eligible for the early bird draw!!

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

Only 20 days left to get your entries in to be eligible for the 2 night stay for four people at Kashabowie River Resort! http://kashabowie.com/

Registration forms can be printed off at http://silverminnowbait.com/dog-lake-open-2015/

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

JOIN the Dog Lake Open Tournament and get CHEAP BAIT!!

Worm's-$3.00 per Dozen

Leech's-$3.00 per Dozen
Med Minnows-$3.25 per Dozen
Lb of Leech's-$30.00(works out to be approx $2.00 per doz)

Bait discount for tournament anglers will be from Opening weekend up until tournament day(June 4th)

• Like 1

Ice is out everywhere I've been. Fish gonna be huge this year!!! 

Can't wait till takeoff.

Adrian

This year may prove to be a prop welders dream come true on Dog,  The lake is over 2 ft low for this time of year, and not coming up anywhere near as fast as it should.  We need rain!!!!  I was at Pace Lake Landing Monday, and you will have a lot of fun launching anything over a 14 ft boat unless you have a 30 ft tongue on your trailer.  I did not try go up the river, but it will be fun.  You can't launch a boat at the resort yet.  All the docks are high and dry.  Maybe a seadoo is the way to go this year......

http://www.opg.com/generating-power/hydro/RiverSystems/Northwest/DogLake.pdf

Jayfishin

Was at resort yesterday.  Water is slowly coming up but definitely very low this year.  Still within OPG's compliance levels though. Will be interesting to see some low water structure right now. Was thinking of bringing boat out for a ride but snow flakes were flying yesterday. I heard you could quad around the complete east bay last week.

Jay

• Like 1

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

The team list is now up on silverminnowbait.com in the order of takeoff positions.  All entries from now until tournament day will be added in the order they are received for take off position.

Remember to mention your in the tournament to get your discount on bait for the long weekend.

Josh

• Like 1

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

8 DAYS left to get your entries in for the DOG LAKE OPEN!!  We are now at 29 teams entered.  Please give me a call if you'd like to enter..632-6572

Josh