• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luckmedic

Any experience with re-bluing?

luckmedic

Hey guys and gals,

I bought an old 1970's Savage 24 .22LR/20 ga and it's in need of some aggressive TLC. There's quite a bit of rust on the barrel and receiver and the bluing is pretty worn out. Has anyone had success with home cold bluing kits? From what I've read online, Oxpho-Blue is the way to go and it's exceeded most peoples expectations, but if there's any tips/tricks people in the local area could share I feel it would be valuable.

:smiley-sport020:If you wanna blow smoke, go have a dart. :fishing:

Thefishleclair

Ive done 3 guns with the kits, 2 turned out great and the 3rd not so good but that was because of my own stupidity. My tip is get a big enough tub to fit the barrel and all its fixins. Read the instructions and fallow to the T.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

eyelander

Yeah, I tried years ago and it did not work out to well at all. But like fishleclair said, I did not have the proper stuff to do it properly. I did it by word of mouth from other people. But that was before the internet was so prevalent where you can watch good quality videos about tequniques and products to use, so I am going to try again this summer probably 'WITH ALL THE PROPER TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT" to do it.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

SherpaJ

Cold bluing will never be as good as hot blued steel so you'll have to give it more regular and careful maintenance if that's the route you're going.

I've done it on two shotguns and found that:

1. the better polished the steel was (I mean practically a mirror finish which took ALLOT of work), the better the bluing.

2. PERFECTLY clean steel was a MUST.

3. Pre heating the steel as much as possible (burning hot) helped produce a better bluing as well.

In hindsight, I wish I had just paid to have them hot blued, somewhere.