• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bunnyfoofoo

2016 Smelts

Bunnyfoofoo

Weather is getting nice, melt is doing good, anyone getting the itch for them (or freezer getting low on them). Maybe im jumping the gun, but good memories with family!! Want to make more and fill my tummy to !!! :P

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Benji

Yah I'm getting the itch! Hopefully this year is better than the past few years

Bunnyfoofoo

Wow a reply, Yes i did best at Mackenzie at the mouth 20+ per scoop, tho i was out up to my chest almost and with a 15 foot reach net, good times. Also kids love McVicars there looking forward to it.

• Like 1

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Benji

I've only ever gone at eldorado beach. Witchy neighbor at my uncles camp screamed at us for checking the creek she said we could fish in last year. 

Bunnyfoofoo

Really fun with kids, put them in a bucket (fish not kids in bucket) and they play with fish. Throw a few in the net and let them scoop. This year i think they will do good. All depends where you go, and what net you use. Normal net , metal net big small. Fun Fun Ill post picks of the nets i am going to make and store bought.

mooboy76

Hoping to get out for my second ever smelt run.  We missed the heavy runs last year, it took us three hours to net 40.    They still tasted great, and the kids loved them!

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

Thefishleclair

If I am home Ill have to go check my Day spot. Done with the dipping and crowds in the dark.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Bunnyfoofoo

like the dark love the night love the crowds, its like walking into a full on drama  with fishing as a side dish!!

Bombtrack81

Looking forward to the smelt run again this year.  Pulled out 3 buckets like this last year from McVicar mouth.  Went around 10:30PM and people willing to go out a bit deeper were filling buckets within minutes.

11169964_756177099454_6490188825102396779_n.jpg

• Like 1

offroader
19 hours ago, Thefishleclair said:

If I am home Ill have to go check my Day spot. Done with the dipping and crowds in the dark.

I'm thinking around April 15 for the run...too cold as of late. I go with the day approach now too

hunt or be hunted

Have any of the rivers started flowing yet ? I'm away at work and curious how things are doing on the north shore 

Bunnyfoofoo

low low water lvl as of right now, still ice and snow

Domer

Somebody said slow past couple of years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

I could not imagine cleaning all of those.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

The_Outdoorsman

last year was my first year for smelts and i almost filled a tote similar in size to one of those. needless to say I learned my lesson for this year

5 minutes ago, Roger Mayer said:

Roger

• Like 1

Bunnyfoofoo

My hands hurt just looking at all those little guys....... but i know it was fun and they are so tasty........ from the looks of that location it is below boulevard lake?

Domer

Kept 2 dozen and gave the rest away to people who couldn't go or aren't capable to go no more

Jayfishin

You didnt leave the poor salmon out in the harbour anything left to eat Dom!

sad-salmon.jpg

• Like 2

Benji
On April 7, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Roger Mayer said:

Roger

Roger that's what children are for

James01
15 hours ago, Benji said:

Roger that's what children are for

Brings back some bad child hood memories... staying up most of the night cleaning what seemed an unending supply of smelts. I still hate cleaning them because of that. I am happy with a single feed or two of them - because I am still not interested in cleaning buckets/totes/bags of them. 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

flyndie22

With this warm weather smelts should be running by monday tuesday 

fishman1
On April 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Domer said:

Kept 2 dozen and gave the rest away to people who couldn't go or aren't capable to go no more

Kept 2 dozen and have the rest away??????

holy geez, the city of Toronto could feed off them for a week!!!!!

perhaps you took a few tttttooooooo many???????

• Like 3

Domer

I know a lot of people that appreciate the gesture

metalgod

is that a 40 hour week of cleaning smelts lol you must know a lot of people! 

the grudge

smelts should be starting to move shortly with this warmer weather and hopefully the steelhead are not to far behind