• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Jelly Belly

Salmon 2016

Junior

It was a beautiful morning on the water today. I fished with my dad and we picked up two nice salmon. One tipping the scale just over 13 lbs :)

IMG_2455.JPG

• Like 1

johnr

First trip out this summer.... gotta make sure I buy a lottery ticket! 18 LB13920656_10206926634744878_1643526792263061897_n.jpg

• Like 1

Thefishleclair
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:26 AM, johnr said:

First trip out this summer.... gotta make sure I buy a lottery ticket! 18 LB13920656_10206926634744878_1643526792263061897_n.jpg

Tell Ole Mark I said nice Fish!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Johnnyreid

Nice fish, I haven't been out in a while. Anyone got any reports on fishing out of the Thunder Bay Marina.

Thefishleclair

Some are around.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Jelly Belly

One this morning 4.05. This evening this one at 15.35

4795.jpeg

Castnblast

Beauties!

you must have a really good recipie ~ or happy neighbours!

• Like 1

Jelly Belly

Thanks Castnblast.  We are in wawa right now. Slowed down last night and this morning. We are all over the map in depths thus week. One morninh they want 45 to 60 next day hug the bottom. Some locals here also are getting g some very nice ones too. Did manage to pick up a 13 Pounder this morning. Seems to be no specific flasher but they are loving any fly that is silvery color. One evening though it was meat. Wouldn't touch anything else. Getting some but Alot off hits and misses. Nice thing though only one laker so far. 

riverrunner

Just starting to get into the downrigging/salmon fishing game, was wondering if anyone could share some base knowledge about them in terms of what kind of structure/depth/temperature/area to look for, etc. Caught one 7 pdr since I've been out and a couple lake trout but it really just seems like luck to me when the fish hit. Any advice would be appreciated!

fishman1
13 hours ago, riverrunner said:

Just starting to get into the downrigging/salmon fishing game, was wondering if anyone could share some base knowledge about them in terms of what kind of structure/depth/temperature/area to look for, etc. Caught one 7 pdr since I've been out and a couple lake trout but it really just seems like luck to me when the fish hit. Any advice would be appreciated!

Put your lure down and drown it like the rest of us.

most guys are putting in long hours for few fish.

when you see pictures here, they didnt jump in the boat like walleye.

youre not doing anything wrong.

• Like 1

rceme74

Start with the basics, then be prepared to adjust on the fly. Most of the time this will work just fine, who ever do not count out anything. One afternoon we spent about 4 hours trolling and nothing, not even a glimpse of anything, I pulled on rigger up and put on a Lake Troll and a Red Devil, checked the speed and returned to the depths, may 10 min a 15lb salmon nailed it hard. Reset and may be 20 min another salmon 18 lbs. Another weapon in the arsenal hasn't worked since, but never know. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Tight lines and good fishing.

rceme74

AB

Its that time of the year again when adult salmon start heading up the rivers, making the fishing spotty. Spectacular if your in the right place at the right time, or frustrating as all h#!! if you are not.

Good news though is that in the Tbay area, other species besides Chinooks have shown up! 

Landed 1 coho and 2 pinks yesterday and lost several other fish. Top 35 feet of water small spoons run on short leads and sliders were working, Even the slider dangling practically in the prop wash. Both Pinks were larger than I've seen in many years, so looks like the larger size trend continues.

Mmmmm Coho! Tastier than any chinook!

Sorry no photos.

Tight lines!

AB

• Like 1

Porkchop21

What's the chances of still landing salmon out in the big lake? Was thinking of trying little trout bay tomorrow for the first time, but not sure if I should go to the Nipigon river instead? Would salmon still be out in the big lake? Any advice for little trout bay? Thanks very much

xf800

I would try the nipigon river because I have always wanted to fish it. I fish cloud Bay Area all the time and did not get any salmon this weekend caught lots of lakers on the planer boards with raps and on the down riggers. But they could definitely be out there don't know till you try. I find my best time for salmon out there is middle of September to thanksgiving. But that's my opinion.

• Like 1

AB

The Coho and pinks I caught were within a few miles of the launch at Little Trout Bay and there are still Chinooks in the area. Not every chinook is going to be staging or running up rivers. The adolescent fish are still out there along with migrating adults. 

Nipigon River is a ZOO! Tons of boat traffic up and down the river. This makes fishing tough as the salmon are heavily pressured all along the river.

I've fished both places in the last three days.

If I had to chose which place to fish again, I'd let the wind make the decision for me. Big lake if the winds are light, river if it's blowing hard. With the road construction going on below Alexander's expect your boat and gear to get coated with a nice layer of gravel snot!

Big lake produced better fishing, with no aggravation!

Good Luck which ever direction you go!

AB

Porkchop21
44 minutes ago, AB said:

The Coho and pinks I caught were within a few miles of the launch at Little Trout Bay and there are still Chinooks in the area. Not every chinook is going to be staging or running up rivers. The adolescent fish are still out there along with migrating adults. 

Nipigon River is a ZOO! Tons of boat traffic up and down the river. This makes fishing tough as the salmon are heavily pressured all along the river.

I've fished both places in the last three days.

If I had to chose which place to fish again, I'd let the wind make the decision for me. Big lake if the winds are light, river if it's blowing hard. With the road construction going on below Alexander's expect your boat and gear to get coated with a nice layer of gravel snot!

Big lake produced better fishing, with no aggravation!

Good Luck which ever direction you go!

AB

Thanks very much AB! I'll post how I do when I get back from either spot. Does it get really rough out in the little bay? 

Porkchop21
12 hours ago, xf800 said:

I would try the nipigon river because I have always wanted to fish it. I fish cloud Bay Area all the time and did not get any salmon this weekend caught lots of lakers on the planer boards with raps and on the down riggers. But they could definitely be out there don't know till you try. I find my best time for salmon out there is middle of September to thanksgiving. But that's my opinion.

Thanks for the help! This whole salmon thing is pretty new to me. 

Porkchop21

Ended up going to Nipigon river last night for the evening. Lots of boats on the river with only a few having a fish. No luck for me. Maybe it's a little early?