• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Jelly Belly

Salmon 2016

oyo

Could it be late? I went out last week and caught two nice ones, on Thursday. Went out twice this week, Tuesday and Wednesday and got skunked after many hours, seemed to be the case for everyone. The week before people were reeling them in steady.

AB
6 hours ago, oyo said:

Could it be late? I went out last week and caught two nice ones, on Thursday. Went out twice this week, Tuesday and Wednesday and got skunked after many hours, seemed to be the case for everyone. The week before people were reeling them in steady.

The salmon have other things on their mind other than feeding in the river so its a tough bite to start with.

Add a lot of boat traffic, and you better start looking for recipes to get the skunk smell out of your boat.

Even in the big lake, salmon don't respond well to a lot of unnatural noises, pressure them and they shut down fast

It seems that when a fresh run of fish hit the Nipigon, you have great fishing the day they come in, good fishing the day after, and decent fishing on the third day.......after that, they have other things on their mind and you have to really work at sneaking up on them and agitating them to strike.

Its not to early, or to late, its a crap shoot any time you go. So enjoy the time on the water, bring a camera and capture some of the scenery to daydream about when the snow starts piling up!

good luck!

AB

• Like 1

rceme74

It has been tough fishing on the river. I went in on Monday and caught 1 lost 1 in 5hrs on the water. Friday 4hrs of fishing and 1 hit. Nothing to keep you much later on the water. I talked to a couple of guys who were there early in the A.M. and nothing seen 1 caught. Did however see a few rising now and again. We threw everything but the handle off the tackle box. Still too many boats running around. If there are any fish around they soon shutdown with all the movement above.

Jelly Belly

Last fish of the year was yesterday. Went to wawa again.we ended up with 3 Chinook, 2 coho and 2 pinks. Here is a pic off our biggest. Had a very good year.lots of big salmon  in August. Hope everyone else did and still has a good year but as for salmon that's it for me. Got to start getting things ready for deer hunting and love chicken hunting.

• Like 1

levi64

We were out Thursday, 10-12 boats, only seen one caught and spoke to one other boat that had one. we fished for about 6 hours nada. Pretty well everyone I spoke to had caught nothing.

• Like 1

Jelly Belly

If it means anything. Not saying it will catch more fish. We like to run white jplugs. Over the time we have spent fishing the river white jplugs and white bombers have caught us more.  But that's just us. Where we  can we will run the rigger down 4 to 8 feet and run the plug off that.

• Like 1

kbrest

Been doing great so far on the river. The rain will help.

20160902_101819.jpg

• Like 1

rceme74

Nice fish. My son and I are heading down Wed. new run should be in by then.

allymeagan

Where else can you access the Nipigon River now that there's protected areas that are closed?  We tried at the Alexander dam and saw some, but didn't catch any.  I'd be tempted to go again if there's somewhere I could fish from shore!

rceme74

Not a good day on the water. Caught a small walleye with a bad piece missing from his jaw. There are Alligators in the area( Northern Pike), and the salmon will get lock-jaw. Mostly move to faster water. Seen one nice fish caught today, a little dark but good eats. My son and I were on the water approx. 3 hrs.

Jelly Belly

Nice fish kbrest! Well heading to wawa again. Buddy has a four wheeler to pick up there and my boats at the marina. So if happens to be nice going to fish late afternoon till dark. Couple friends were out last night and there still getting them in the bay. Thought it was last but hey! 

kbrest

Had to work a bit for this one. Lost three also, on and then gone. Seemed to be biting short out of aggression so only slightly hooked. Either way another fun day.

20160908_140500.jpg