• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Red lights and aliens

Bobber Down

The moonlight shone on the glass like waters of Lake Superior. It was a beautiful night at the mouth of the Current River. The Walleye opener. I was there early 4am. My lighted bobber cast an eerie red glow as it floated slowly along with the river currents, just like it has on many previous outings. However this night was going to be different. This night there was going to be an epic battle. An epic battle worthy to be told and retold beside many a campfire.

My cast was not unlike others I had made that evening. Smooth and accurate to a point. The minnow was fresh and lively. I watched my bobber with anticipation for my first strike of the season. Suddenly the bobber raced forward quickly. Not down, like a Walleye bite but along the top of the water like a Pike bite. Quickly I reeled up my slack line and set the hook. My rod instantly bent in half and line was screaming off my reel. My bobber covered a good 50 yards in short order. I've never seen a bobber move so fast. OMG I thought, this is one huge Pike. I tightened the drag.

I could not see the beast as it protested being hooked. It was in the darker area of the water, outside of the moons direct beam of light. I slowed it's progress though and could hear splashing the surface as it was trying to spit the hook. Suddenly, my line went slack. Well that's not unusual for a big pike to break your line I thought. I started reeling my line back in and then I saw it. My glowing red bobber racing back towards me. What the f I thought. I reeled as fast as I could.

Once again my rod was doubled over. This time the river current was it's destination. It pulled hard heading upstream. Once again my thoughts touched on a big Pike. Then went to Salmon then a Lake Trout. If only I could get a glimpse. Wasn't meant to be though as the fight continued in the back n forth battle. I liked the fight.

After about 5 minutes in the river the standoff battle again headed to the lake. Peeling off yards of line again. This time however closer to the fishing boats was on it's mind. It was much lighter beside the boat in the closest slip. My rod was seriously bent and the line it took I quickly reeled back but I knew the fight had turned in my favour. It's time in the current had taken it's toll. The surface broke, my beast was looking into my eyes. OMG!! It's a Castor Canadensis. I quickly removed the hook from it's tail.

The moonlight shone on the glass like waters of Lake Superior. It was a beautiful night at the mouth of the Current River.

4528407.jpg

• Like 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Clewis
19 minutes ago, Bobber Down said:

The moonlight shone on the glass like waters of Lake Superior. It was a beautiful night at the mouth of the Current River. The Walleye opener. I was there early 4am. My lighted bobber cast an eerie red glow as it floated slowly along with the river currents, just like it has on many previous outings. However this night was going to be different. This night there was going to be an epic battle. An epic battle worthy to be told and retold beside many a campfire.

My cast was not unlike others I had made that evening. Smooth and accurate to a point. The minnow was fresh and lively. I watched my bobber with anticipation for my first strike of the season. Suddenly the bobber raced forward quickly. Not down, like a Walleye bite but along the top of the water like a Pike bite. Quickly I reeled up my slack line and set the hook. My rod instantly bent in half and line was screaming off my reel. My bobber covered a good 50 yards in short order. I've never seen a bobber move so fast. OMG I thought, this is one huge Pike. I tightened the drag.

I could not see the beast as it protested being hooked. It was in the darker area of the water, outside of the moons direct beam of light. I slowed it's progress though and could hear splashing the surface as it was trying to spit the hook. Suddenly, my line went slack. Well that's not unusual for a big pike to break your line I thought. I started reeling my line back in and then I saw it. My glowing red bobber racing back towards me. What the f I thought. I reeled as fast as I could.

Once again my rod was doubled over. This time the river current was it's destination. It pulled hard heading upstream. Once again my thoughts touched on a big Pike. Then went to Salmon then a Lake Trout. If only I could get a glimpse. Wasn't meant to be though as the fight continued in the back n forth battle. I liked the fight.

After about 5 minutes in the river the standoff battle again headed to the lake. Peeling off yards of line again. This time however closer to the fishing boats was on it's mind. It was much lighter beside the boat in the closest slip. My rod was seriously bent and the line it took I quickly reeled back but I knew the fight had turned in my favour. It's time in the current had taken it's toll. The surface broke, my beast was looking into my eyes. OMG!! It's a Castor Canadensis. I quickly removed the hook from it's tail.

The moonlight shone on the glass like waters of Lake Superior. It was a beautiful night at the mouth of the Current River.

4528407.jpg

Now that's a fishing story. LOL