• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pbear

Best Salmon Fishing Time

pbear

I'm not sure if this topic

was covered in previous posts, but I thought I would ask.  What time produces the best number of hits when salmon fishing on Superior?   I've only tried fishing outside the breakwall and by Silver Harbour.  I'm hoping to hit Black Bay, Pigeon Bay and Little Trout Bay over the summer.  I tried from 8-11 am this past Saturday but the winds forced us back in early.  There are so many different variables but I thought I would ask.  

Thefishleclair

Anytime is usually the time. But the last few years ive been batting 0. I like the early am and back out in the pm. 6-11 am and 6 till dark. Key to tying into salmon is find baitballs and work them. Look fot thermalcline. If I remember right they like to stay in water around 54-57 F. But I will have to look it up again. Im going to try tomorrow am and ill check the temps. Reort back how i did. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

RatherBeFishin

Apparently the best salmon fishing right now is at black bay. Seems they are always there earlier on then out front. We have always had better luck there early then moved to outfront later on. We fish around cranberry island area. I know of guys who have been catching there. Not tons. But some for sure. 

Jelly Belly

I like to set up in dark and fish till 10 -11am. Evening if when I go. Is usually 5- 6pm till dark. I don't waste fuel in afternoon anymore unless I go out of town to wawa I'll put in the whole day just cause I traveled. I've caught them during the day. More time I have not during the day.

johnr

I lived on Lake Superior for the last 12 years and glad to offer some data ...fact/luck, useable or not! These fish are frustrating beyond belief! Bait Balls I agree are the key. Set your down riggers accordingly and try to stay close. If thats not hard enough ....change spoons, plugs, speeds, directions and depths until they feel like co-operating. Then, when you have lost the bait ball , put on the purple/silver nasty boys in two or three different sizes , set your cannon balls to 35 and 45 feet with cheaters and put on some tunes. Just when the eagles "hotel California" plays and you are singing like no-ones listening they will hammer you!!! Every time! Seriously ...if I had to pick two times to be on the water it would be at 11 am and 2 pm. Don't ask!!!! You can't catch one if your lines not in the water and I had the good fortune to have a boat on the lift ready whenever I got the urge. My favorite time is sun up and sun down but my log says 11 and 2 ....for what its worth. 

pbear

Thanks for the feedback guys...now just to get outband try to catch them.  Just wondering...is there a secret source for the nasty boys spoons?  I couldn't locate any online.  

• Like 1

tbayfinn
6 hours ago, pbear said:

Thanks for the feedback guys...now just to get outband try to catch them.  Just wondering...is there a secret source for the nasty boys spoons?  I couldn't locate any online.  

D&R Sporting Goods should have them

Thefishleclair

No Nasty Boys! Hard to find

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

PRO V

.............they do not produce Nasty boys anymore, some times they will pop up brand new in the package, but people want large. and at times when people sell their lot of spoons you may find a couple of Nastys in the mix.

Mike

pastor norm

Nastyboys work but there are spoons that work even better, especially when you are varying your speed.  I was out the other day on Black Bay and Pro King was the top producer.  Moonshine lures also work very well and out-produced everything else in the box last year.  Shoehorn spoons by Luhr Jensen are also good.  All three of these options are found at DNR.

• Like 1

Thefishleclair

Surface temps yesterday hovered around 50-51 F. Had 8 realeases 2 were lakers and the other 6 unsure but Im going to go on a limb and say 1 was a salmon for sure. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

CurtisYaright

The guy at the old Best Buy Auto on Cumberland Street (can't remember his name) bought the mold and rights to the Nasty Boy Lures.

oyo

If its okay, i'd like to add to the question. What time of year is best for salmon fishing on Nipigon river? Ive been going start of September to mid September the last two years and have been pretty happy with the results. My friend says we are going way to late and the middle to end of august is when they are running. Is there a best time for Salmon on the Nipigon river? I think the main difference between the two times is what the type of salmon running not the quantity...? Thoughts or advice?

Cheers,

A

crazyctr
On 14/06/2016 at 9:32 AM, pbear said:

cant get nasty boys anymore im using dream weavers and having good success

hbaits.jpg

crazyctr
On 21/06/2016 at 6:28 PM, oyo said:

If its okay, i'd like to add to the question. What time of year is best for salmon fishing on Nipigon river? Ive been going start of September to mid September the last two years and have been pretty happy with the results. My friend says we are going way to late and the middle to end of august is when they are running. Is there a best time for Salmon on the Nipigon river? I think the main difference between the two times is what the type of salmon running not the quantity...? Thoughts or advice?

Cheers,

A

they are catching salmon in the nipigon river right now was a 16 pounder caught 2 days ago 

hbaits.jpg