• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Clewis

Good 4 or 5wt rod

Clewis

wondering if anyone knows of a good 4 or 5wt rod around 100 - $150 

evanschmidt

superfly premium performance fly rod amd reel is what I've been using. its about $130 and has worked great for me

Thefishleclair

there is a Flyrod at Big Eds Pawn shop, Looks decent. 70$ I think it was th eone on Algoma.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

wampa

I have a William Joseph WJ fly rod 9' 5wt.  It cost me $100 i think.  Nice rod for the price.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Heisenberg

I really like my St. Croix Rio Santo 5wt (http://stcroixrods.com/products/fly-fishing/rio-santo)
It's at the upper end of your price range but it casts beautifully.  One downside is that the tip section seems to be a little delicate.  I've broken it twice (due to improper storage / transport), which brings me to another plus of this rod:  St. Croix customer service is excellent!  I was able to purchase tips for $30, shipping included.  Yes, some big-buck rods have lifetime no-questions-asked warranties, but considering the price of the Rio I don't mind paying $30 to get my rod back in working order.  Tip:  Get a tube, and USE IT!

evanschmidt

What is the smallest rod you would go with for steelhead? Would a 5 wt holdup if I used a strong leader?

hookset

I hooked into a nice rainbow late spring at the mouth of the current on my 5-6, with 6wt line. I had no chance. I couldn't move the fish from bottom and when it decided to go down stream I couldn't stop it. It rolled at the wall(I was at the concrete pillar at the split)and spit the hook. It was a good size fish. It is a challenge on the lighter weight rods.

wampa

7 wt is the lightest I'd use but 8 wt would be better I think.  Fast water and big fish means you need a little backbone to turn them on most rivers around here in the spring.

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

brookiebuster

Would not reccomend using a 5wt for steelies. Lightest rod I'd use would be a 10ft 6wt but a 7 or 8 would be preferred. With lighter rods you'll be playing the fish longer and tiring it out and possibly kill the fish. 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent