• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

I'm loolking at.........

hookset

the fenwick fenglass series. I love the old school look. I want the 6wt 3 piece. They don't have a two weight rod. Its a 5wt or 6wt or so on. So I figured I would go with the 6wt. In my mind the 6wt of the fly world is that of the 30.06 of the hunting world. Versatile. Anybody here use new school glass? Reviews on the rod seem positive. I'm happy to be rod shopping, but also sad. My good old

browning is coming apart. She needs to be replaced. I've been tossing flies with her for almost twenty years. Not to mention the times it subbed in during rainbow season.

flybum

I have a blue halo, gen 1 8ft 3 PC 5wt. I love my glass rods. I had a chance to do some casting with the fenglass and they cast and feel great. Not to mention he look. Have you ever used a glass Rod?

A great glass Rod is also the echo glass. Also a blue halo. Even, if you want to just try a glass rod, go with an eagle claw featherweight. Here about 50$ shipped to your door!!! I'm a bit of a glass geek, feel free to ask questions. 

A good resource is also, thefiberglassmanifesto.com

cheers!!

hookset

My first rod was glass, a Canadian tire special. lol. I can't really remember how it would cast. I used it for a few seasons before I went to graphite. How did the fen feel action wise? was it noodley? I was looking at the eagle claw as well. I just like the look of the fenglass. I haven't heard of blue halo. I'll have to check it out. My price range is in and around what the fenglass cost.  Thank you for the info.

flybum

Most glass fly rods at the moment are E glass, some (Epic fly rods) are unidirectional S glass, sometimes referred to as fast glass. The blue halo was WAY BEFORE the fenglass. The fenglass is a full flex, moderately slow action. It's got the beauty cherry tones and its casts like a glass rod casts. Slow and deliberate. You can't rush a glass Rod, let it do what glass does best. It takes a bit to get your head around it going from a fast graphite rod to a slow glass Rod. Just remember, your line follows your tip, if you lean into it, your tip stays low which brings your fly low which gives you a new piercing! 

Good luck!