• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TroutHunter

Fernie BC Fly Fishing

TroutHunter

So I'm looking to head out west early sept to the Fernie area for a fishing trip.  Has anyone ever trout/salmon fished out there? I'm just curious about what patterns to tie up to bring out.  I've never fished out west before so this is a whole new ball game to me!  Any info would be appreciated. 

Tight Lines!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Heisenberg

Ha!  We just came back from there a few days ago.  Note that my favourite two rivers were a "no go" as the number of licenses (date and water specific) are now limited.  I'd highly suggest booking your non-resident classified water permit in advance.  That's $21/day/person and only allows you to fish a specific river (!)
We didn't get into any bull trout, but the cutthroat were happy to come out and play.  Elk hair caddis, green drake emerger and parachute patterns all worked well.  I imagine that the patterns will change a bit by September though!  I don't have use of a drift boat, so I haven't fished the Elk much, but I highly recommend the Bull and Wigwam Rivers as well as Michel Creek near Sparwood.

cuttie.jpg

TroutHunter

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely have to look at purchasing my permit in advance.  I'll be wading so i guess the I'll have to stick with smaller tribs of the Elk.  Thank you for the fly and river suggestions.  I'll be doing some more research before leaving, maybe call a fly shop and ask about water levels and that.   Do you head out west to fish often? 

Tight Lines,

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

fishman1

It's tough purchasing a permit in advance as the conditions change. You should come up with a better system. Especially if ou want to fish 2-3 rivers a day.

TroutHunter

Well I've never fished out there before so its all new to me. I don't know what other type of "system" i should come up with... Any suggestions? 

spindilla1

A better system is getting a BC drivers licences so you don't have to do all that BS, knowing people in BC helps because it attracts so many people to just fish.

Technically I'm a resident of BC and Ontario......There's always ways around the "system"

The Columbia is really good as well, just got back two weeks ago, going again in 2 weeks.

spindilla1

Kokanee's were in full effect when I was out there, def worth a couple of swings.