• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

walleyeman

Nipigon river

walleyeman

Just curious if anyones has been catching salmon.. i know some are in  there year round but has the main run started???

rceme74
4 hours ago, walleyeman said:

Just curious if anyones has been catching salmon.. i know some are in  there year round but has the main run started???

rceme74

Went in last week for a recce to see if things were moving, a few boats on the water but no salmon caught by the fellows I chatted with, but some nice rainbows

rceme74

Went into Dog Lake Wednesday, caught a few small Walleyes around the Big Island. Seen some good markings, look like another trip shortly. Thank for the information .

kbrest

Caught two in the river last week both this dark. Lost 2 that were also very dark. 

image:435

• Like 1

Jelly Belly

Ty kbrest. We are in wawa right now on holidays. Going to head there for a fish prob near end of august. I'm walleyeman's buddy we fish together all the time I'll pass it along.

allymeagan

I'm looking to try salmon fishing for the first time. I have a 12' tin can with a 5hp, is there anywhere on the river I could take this, or is it too small? Someone mentioned Lake Helen, could I take it on there? Or if anyone has info on where I could fish from shore, that'd be great too! I'm not familiar with the area at all, or fishing for salmon or rainbows, so a starting point would be much appreciated!!

pastor norm

I wouldn't take your tin can there... But there are places to fish around the first dam (Alexanders).  Try casting from the shore down from the viewing platform. There is a trail to it just past the boat launch. You can also park at the pipeline and walk down to the shore and cast there.  Try flinging pixie, castmasters, and crocodile spoons. Most people use the jointed raps J13 in firetiger. Or colour up the plain red or the plain chartreuse ones with a permanent marker to make them all tiger striped and mean looking to tick off the salmon.  

• Like 3

allymeagan

Awesome, thank you so much!!

bin fishin lots

Nail on the head pastor norm. Tight lines

gsambray

But are they in there yet? Lol

allymeagan

I'm hoping to go Monday, I'll let you know how I make out! 

Castnblast
22 hours ago, allymeagan said:

I'm looking to try salmon fishing for the first time. I have a 12' tin can with a 5hp, is there anywhere on the river I could take this, or is it too small? Someone mentioned Lake Helen, could I take it on there? Or if anyone has info on where I could fish from shore, that'd be great too! I'm not familiar with the area at all, or fishing for salmon or rainbows, so a starting point would be much appreciated!!

You can easily fish alexanders landing with a 12' boat and 5hp.

You have to cover water to fish those salmon and casting spoons from shore of the Nipigon is like standing on a rock on the shore of Superior.

It can be good fishing from shore, but chances are - as you stand there casting across the river - while watching boats troll past you - you will wonder why you didnt bring the 12/5.

I used to fish that whole area in a 12' sports pal with paddles before I bought a 24lb minn kota trolling motor. 

Never under estimate the power of the river, use caution and common sense, stay clear of the dam, and current seams off of the points and you will be fine.

good luck to you.

• Like 2

allymeagan

Thanks for the info. I'll bring the boat with me, and then at least I have it. I would much prefer that, but always like to err on the side of caution lol. 

pastor norm

yes, you CAN fish the Nipigon in a small boat with a small motor.  But it takes experience and knowledge about the water. It's not the same as on the Kam.  I have (twice) fished people out of the water there when their little boat overturned.  I've also watched people in tiny boats come very close to capsizing or swamping while they are in the throes of salmon fever. 

I have no idea how much boating skill or river knowledge allymegan may have.  She may be a real champ and work the water like an Olympian.  But the caution stands.  It's hard to judge the power of that river from shore.  

PS... I don't think I have heard salmon caught on Lake Helen.

• Like 2

Castnblast

the nipigon is not the kam ~ agree 100%.

I also agree that it is very difficult to judge the power of the current from the launch. You look out across the river and it does not look intimidating. Once you get on the water, close to current areas the power of the river can spin a drifting boat like a top, and can be dangerous.

Ally said she has a small boat, I'm assuming she has some experience _ but maybe I should not assume.

In my opinion, the water directly across and just below the launch are managable for a smaller boat when operated by someone with some experience and common sense. Stay well away from the upper section of the river toward the dam.

One other potential hazard worth mention is the other boaters / boats on the river. The throes of salmon fever are real, andcause many people to make questionable moves on the river. So much so, that I have avoided the river in late August & September for least the past 7 years.

Looking back on my post, I should add - for a first timer - it is best to go with someone who has fished the river. That is safest most productive way to experience it. 

Good luck to you. I hope you catch a nice salmon.

• Like 1

fishman1

I agree with c&b, it's no problem to fish in front of the landing with a small boat.

i wouldn't go up to the dam or too far downstream, but across from the landing is no problem, AND one of the best places to fish.

allymeagan

I have mostly lake experience with the boat, I've been taking it up to Graham for the past couple summers.  Ideally I would prefer to go out with someone experienced, but I'm learning on my own for the most part, as I don't have anyone experienced to hunt or fish with, so it's been a learning curve on both fronts!  I do have moving water experience, but from the stern of a canoe rather than in a boat, so I can read the river to a certain extent.  Salmon fishing will also be new for me, and I'm excited to try it.  Thanks all for your input!

pastor norm

Maybe I will see you out there, allymeagan.  I try to avoid the weekends on the Nipigon.

What make is your boat/motor?  I have a centre-console aluminum. 

allymeagan

Blue/silver viking with a merc 👍🏻 I'll be with another lady and her son I expect. 

evanschmidt

what are some good lures to use from shore for salmon, never really fished for salmon except fly fishing 

• Like 1

pastor norm

My first experience of a salmon on the Nipigon was when my father-in-law and I were casting from shore at the point just down from the Alexander's dam.  I was in a bad mood after a very nice brook trout snapped off my frog pattern Daredevel Imp.  "What colour was your lure?"  he asked.  "Sorta green with black and yellow" I replied, all forlorn.   My father-in-law reached into his snarly tackle box and pulled up a huge Aquaspoon in a weird sea green colour with black dots on it.  "Like this?"  "Close enough" I said, not even bothering to look up. He attached the pike lure to his heavy wire leader and heaved it half way across the river, slowly reeling it in and letting the lure flutter a foot down in the clear water.  My father looked at me and he said, "That was a a huge brookie."  "It sure was" I moped. We both started watching the lure.  Suddenly a silver submarine came up from the depths and smashed it, tugging on it twice and then and ripping it right off the leader.  It was shaped like a trout and it was silver but far too big to be a rainbow.

We were speechless at first then we were laughing. This was not our day. The scene has played over and over in my mind. Only years later did I learn that there were salmon in the Nipigon River. 

So try anything and everything. You are not trying to match the hatch or anything. You are trying to trying to p-ss them off.  And make sure your terminal tackle/knots are  solid because they hit like a freight train. 

• Like 2

Grounds Keeper Willie

You can use that boat from the top at the dam and down past the hydro line but I would stay away from the narrow spot down stream from the hydro line the current is tough when it funnels thru there it won't capsize you but if you shoot the fast water the 5hp may not be able to get you back up. And certainly stay the heck away from parmasene which is way below that narrow spot so like I said don't go past the narrow spot and you won't need to worry about parmasene. You'll see the hydro line that im talking about just to the right of the launch a few hundred metres. About another 300-400 yards below that hydro line is where you should turn around tho you will see the narrow spot in the river I am talking about just around the bend. Be safe just troll don't go full out and just don't make any fast sudden turning motions and don't stand up in the boat if your going quicker than trolling speed and you'll be fine. There's some fast water up by the buoys but you can certainly troll it with the 12ft. Just get a feel for how the boat is acting in the current before you go up to the buoys IF you decide to. Don't do anything you aren't confortable with. No more than two people in the boat if there's 3 then u may want to find a 14ft with a little more power than a 5hp. Be safe and as I mentioned just troll the river don't go fast while getting to know it and no sudden turning motions I don't wanna hear about you falling out and going over board! Same as any other boating situation bring your paddles life jackets flashlights rope and all the necessary legal requirements needed. First time I fished from a 12 ft I wore my life jacket bcuz I did not know the river so bring another item as a seat cushion. I hope you get your salmon! Best of luck fellow angler!

• Like 1

AGGGH

rceme74

It seems most are using J13 fire tiger rapella.. I use Canadian Wiggler 1/2 oz. I change the hooks to Mustad trebles. Much sharper and hook set is easier even with boat rods. Have caught them on Red devils #3s. The only thing your doing is aggravating them to strike, So sometime the more gaudy the lure, you may just land on something that works. One oz jigs with a piece of red yarn also gets them worked up, just a word of caution, be prepared to loose a number of jigs until you get a feel for presentation. Fish close to the bottom and move slowly along. May not mark them on the finder, but they are there.

Tight Lines.  

Zackcorbin1401

I think I'm going to try off shore tomorrow, I've never been in a boat on the river if anyone needs company I'd love to join. Will post back with results tomorrow.

• Like 1