• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Happyjack

Stress Cracks Around Rivets

Happyjack

I've got a few stress cracks starting to show up on my 1999 Lund Outfitter.  They only seem to be around the rivets holding the splash deck on to the sides of the back of the boat.  The consensus online seems to be to rivet a patch around them.  Has anyone had them welded with any success?

naden

Ive had small cracks on a boat welded before but I think I drilled out the rivets, had the area welded, and then put new rivets in. The person that welded it told me that it is hard to get the aluminum nice and clean when your welding an old crack. Im not a welder so Im not sure if thats a huge issue. I'm sure alloy technical welding could repair it for you. 

If you decide to rivet a patch I'd get some scrap alum. and practice riveting first, its not that easy to do properly if you've never done it before and also you will need to use the proper diameter and length rivet and also the proper alum. alloy for the alloy of the boat. If you decide to rivet it and have any questions send me a msg, I fix airplanes for a living and can send you some info on proper rivet sizing and materials/sealants etc.

Chris

Happyjack

Thanks Naden.  I've dealt with Alloy lots in the past and just wanted to know if it was worth dragging it into town.  I've done some riveting before with some success (my ears are still ringing......) but was looking for an alternative.

Thanks