• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Foz

Grouse

Foz

My dad was wondering and he has heard many different answers on the topic. What is the legal way to dress and transport grouse? I'm thinking along the same way as fish, like leaving a 1 inch square on the fillet type thing. Do you have to leave a wing or what. 

Spectre

Yup, still ok to step on wings and pull the feet (that was illegal for a while many years ago). Just have to leave one wing attached to breast.

Foozer

Page 85 in 2016 Ontario Hunting Reg's under the transportation of game birds and water fowl:

"Remember to leave one fully feathered wing on migratory birds when transporting"

No mention of feathers or wings to be left on grouse while transporting.  Migratory bird is defined on page 86.

The link is below.  It's page 85 of summary, not pg 85 of the .pdf file.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario-hunting-regulations-summary

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

naden

no wing and it is illegal to let the flesh of game go to waste but I've never heard of anyone being fined for discarding wings or legs

naden

This was in the ask the mnr section

Spectre
12 minutes ago, naden said:

no wing and it is illegal to let the flesh of game go to waste but I've never heard of anyone being fined for discarding wings or legs

This was like 20ish years ago we were told by a CO it was illegal to discard thighs and waste meat by cleaning with the step on wings and pull feet method. Obviously it's the way to go now though, not sure if he was telling the truth or just BS. 

MetalFishing

Starting tomorrow there will be an orange hat on the dash of every truck

Dirttracker18

Not that it is smart but you don't actually need to wear hunter orange until big game gun season opens.  You can bird hunt in whatever you want until then.

Personally, a .22 bullet will go a long ways so I prefer to still have the hunter orange. Anyone that has gone for chickens knows that you can practically walk up to them anyways lol

The Great Outdoors

MetalFishing
1 hour ago, Dirttracker18 said:

Not that it is smart but you don't actually need to wear hunter orange until big game gun season opens.  You can bird hunt in whatever you want until then.

Personally, a .22 bullet will go a long ways so I prefer to still have the hunter orange. Anyone that has gone for chickens knows that you can practically walk up to them anyways lol

Yeah I got three from one branch once; not the brightest

Hurketthunter

Uh last I checked bear season is open for archery as well as firearms so big game rifle season is here.

Hurketthunter

• Like 1

naden

If you are small game hunting you are only required to wear hunter orange if you are hunting during an open gun season for deer elk or moose. Page 25 of the hunting regulation summary

Foozer
8 hours ago, naden said:

If you are small game hunting you are only required to wear hunter orange if you are hunting during an open gun season for deer elk or moose. Page 25 of the hunting regulation summary

Interesting......

I'll have to keep that nugget of info  handy.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Thefishleclair

Yes that is True, Chatted to a CO about 2 weeks back about this situation, Along with if its required to have Orange ATV Helmet if yer out "ON" a quad hunting.

I know his answer but I want to see what others say for now.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

hunt or be hunted

Curious to know what was the CO's reply on the orange helmet for an Atv ? 

levi64

Anyone seriously want to be in the woods this time of year without hunters orange. 

naden

Here is a few posts regarding orange atv helmets. 

Hurketthunter

I read the regs and your right there seems to be an exception in that case. It seems strange that people rifle hunting for bears must wear orange while a bird hunter can wonder through the woods in a black coat and risk being mistaken for game by an overly excited bear hunter. Somebody hasn't thought this through.

Hurketthunter 

Dirttracker18

This comes up every year and I am not sure why.  The regs are pretty clear about it;

"Under this regulation, all licensed hunters, including bow hunters, falconers and black bear hunters, hunting during a gun season for deer, elk or moose, are required to wear hunter orange."

You do not have to wear orange until gun season for deer, elk or moose opens.  It is still a good idea and it would make no difference when hunting chickens.

The Great Outdoors

Spectre

I know we don't have to wear orange but it doesn't feel right out hunting without it on, makes it feel more like hunting with it... Though I wish the birds were wearing some orange right now tough seeing them in all the bush!

Dirttracker18
On 9/19/2016 at 10:37 AM, Spectre said:

I know we don't have to wear orange but it doesn't feel right out hunting without it on, makes it feel more like hunting with it... Though I wish the birds were wearing some orange right now tough seeing them in all the bush!

LOL, yup we went out last weekend and got skunked.  We could hear them a few times but no sightings.

As for the helmet, you need a helmet if you are using your quad in the course of hunting which refers to actively chasing or going to a location.  Essentially if your have your gun or bow with you, you need an orange helmet.

FWIW you can buy Orange helmet covers of material that stretches over the helmet.  No need to buy a special helmet.

The Great Outdoors

MetalFishing

Grouse I shot fell from the air onto a frozen pond; rod was nearby so it worked out.

image.jpeg