• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Dirttracker18

Talk to me about your BOOTS!

Dirttracker18

Seriously, tell me about your boots.

I am in the market for a new pair and am not sure which way to go.  Right now I am leaning toward a pair of Irish Setters but I tried on some Mucks and really liked them.

My needs are:

Comfort

water proof

stability (I have weak ankles and sprained them many times)

Wants:

some kind of scent lock/proof would be nice but not a neccesity

My concerns with the Mucks is stability.  They feel great and I have heard nothing but good things but I am concerned about stability for my ankles.  They seem like they do not offer much to help stop me from rolling my ankles in a tough situation like a pair of laced tall boots.   Anyone have anything to say about this?

The Irish Setters by Red Wing seem to generally get really good reviews as well.  

I am not adverse to spending money on boots but I want to make sure I am getting value for my money.

Thoughts?

The Great Outdoors

Bobber Down

Sounds like your primary concern are your ankles and sprains. Probably a good idea would be to obtain a quality ankle brace first and then a good boot. Here is a link for ankle braces and supports.

http://sporttherapysupport.com/best-ankle-brace/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Dirttracker18

Thanks for the thought but it has not been an issue so long as I wear quality supportive foot wear. Normally I have issues in sandals or athletic shoes while playing sports.  I switched to good high tops for sports and have not been injured since and have rolled over my ankles.  Minor twing but no soreness the next day.

The Great Outdoors

Iron Ranger

Check out Danners boots

Buy the ones that are still made in the USA.

The boots that are made in China do not hold up near as well

I have Irish Setters that are gathering dust in the closet now.

Cabelas handles them or you can buy direct Every now and then they have great sales on their website.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

naden

Ive got a pair of irish setters with the goretex camo outers. Lasted only a few years before they tore - not impressed!

TroutHunter

Love my Danner Pronghorns.  Ive had them for over 6yrs now and they're still in great shape. Very durable and waterproof (Gore Tex), comfortable (wear them all day moose hunting/hiking through the NW Ontario backcountry with no sore feet), and ankle support seems to be solid... I'll definitely be buying a new pair once these wear out, if they ever do!  They are uninsulated so I cannot speak to their warmth. 

I own a pair of 800gm Thinsulate Irish Setters which are good, but durability does not compare to the Danners IMO.  I've had them equally as long and they are starting to wear out (a seam coming apart where your foot bends at the toes while walking).  They claim to be water proof and I have had no issues with wet feet in snowy/wet conditions (prior to the seam issue, now feet get a bit damp in wet conditions), and they are not Gore Tex.   Once these wear out more, I'll be replacing them with an pair of insulated Danners.  

Hope this helps!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

MetalFishing

I've been using only Dakotas for the last eight years. Have fantastic ankle support. Anything that can last through multiple months of planting trees is a quality product.

levi64

Been wearing Danners for over 25 years. Long lasting, tough, warm and comfortable. Not bad for a stand and excellant to put on the miles with.

Dirttracker18

FWIW

I purchased a pair of Irish Setter Grizzly Trackers here in town. They are waterproof, well built, scent locked (scent ban), great ankle support, 100 grams of insulation and had very good reviews.

I found them on sale at a local outdoors store.  I tried on a variety of boots and these fit great, even with my orthotics in them.  Add in the sale price and it was an easy decision.

I really liked the Mucks but I could not get other the possibility of not enough ankle support.

I can't wait to try them out in the bush.  Especially on the cold days up in the tree stand.

The Great Outdoors

scanaego

I have recently tried good hiker (back packer) boots. The brand I'm using are Solomon but there are a few brands to choose from. Excellent support and water proof especially if you add a good water proof greese to them. Walk all day and no sore feet. 

Gwhunter99

I resently bought the rubber boot Irish setters for my trip to alberta. After 2 1/2 days I could barley walk in em (blisters). Thankfully a guy in camp had an extra pair of mucks. Went the rest of the week in them with no problems. When I got home I returned setters for new mucks. 

Oh and no elk this year but did arrow my 1st cow moose on the 2nd last day. 

DLC

Just got a new pair of Danner Canadian boots during Lebarons closing out sale here in Ottawa. I have been breaking them in (30 minutes at a time) while walking the dog. So far so good. Very comfortable after I had a few miles on them. Waterproof, with excellent stability and warm, though probably not suitable for -30. I am not sure where Danner boots would be available in TBay. 

For cold temps I have had Baffin Apex boots for a couple of years now. They are lightweight, warm and comfortable. I got the Baffins at Lebarons as well, though they are available at GUFO in TBay (at least they were) or Cabellas.

Possibly break-in was the issue with Gwhunter99's Setters? I have no experience with Irish Setter boots. 

Looking forward to getting out moose hunting in the Armstrong area in the next couple of weeks. Hope there is snow.

Daryl

Edited by DLC
added info