• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

km_tb

Rust Proofing

km_tb

Hi,

What is everyone's thought on rust proofing vehicles?  Where is the best spot to have this done in town?

Thanks!

eddylives

There are a number of good choices in town 

But I would recommend a thorough inspection after its done......

We have had vehicles done at company "X" and found many areas that were missed and dry including inside the doors etc.

Don't tolerate BS workmanship........you pay for a product and service to be done properly

• Like 1

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

levi64

I've been getting Krown for years, no issues now that they stopped spraying my engine #$%@#$^#^&^&

JustMe

ECO-RUST-TECH, very thorough and environment friendly. Does box liners too.

MILLER

I've been doing it myself for at least the last 5 years. I use a product called "corrosion free," which you can buy at Canadian Tire. There's a study online that the Canadian Army did to test their vehicles and this product won first place. It is a clear dripless spray and works very well. As cheap as I am, I don't skimp on rust proofing because I want to protect my investment. My truck used 13 cans and I covered every nook and cranny, unlike most places in town. It's very easy to do if your willing to put in a couple hours of labor, and you can have piece of mind knowing that it was done right. If you decide to do it yourself, make sure that you cover the exhaust parts with garbage bags or you'll be smoking a little.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

RT04
On 10/4/2016 at 9:35 PM, levi64 said:

I've been getting Krown for years, no issues now that they stopped spraying my engine #$%@#$^#^&^&

No kidding, Krown practically put an inch thick coat on my exhaust manifolds so as i was driving down the highway it looked like my car was on fire. Not to mention the interior ended up smelling like burnt oil for weeks after the oil was all gone from the manifolds. 

rceme74

I am a retired military vehicle engineer and technician. There was no actual live study ever done on a specific corrosion protection for the Standard Military Pattern,(SMP), vehicles of the day, ie MLVW LSVW and Iltis.  We used various types of corrosion protection on the commercial fleet, depending on the area of the country and region. There have been several papers written by budding engineers from Royal Military College (RMC), Kingston Ont, to the pros and cons of rust protection. Because these vehicles may be on aircraft or ships, rust proofing is considered hazardous material and cannot be on aircraft or ships, at this time. The pilots and Load Master get very upset when something drips from underneath a vehicle.  I can tell you I rust proof mine every year and Rust Check is very good, however, as mention by EddyLives, check it over really well, my inner front fenders have to be done after I inspect the work. Generally it is pretty good, its a 2004 Dodge 2500, and not one spot of rust.

MILLER
15 hours ago, rceme74 said:

I am a retired military vehicle engineer and technician. There was no actual live study ever done on a specific corrosion protection for the Standard Military Pattern,(SMP), vehicles of the day, ie MLVW LSVW and Iltis.  We used various types of corrosion protection on the commercial fleet, depending on the area of the country and region. There have been several papers written by budding engineers from Royal Military College (RMC), Kingston Ont, to the pros and cons of rust protection. Because these vehicles may be on aircraft or ships, rust proofing is considered hazardous material and cannot be on aircraft or ships, at this time. The pilots and Load Master get very upset when something drips from underneath a vehicle.  I can tell you I rust proof mine every year and Rust Check is very good, however, as mention by EddyLives, sheck it over really well, my inner front fenders have to be done after I inspect the work. Generally it is pretty good, its a 2004 Dodge 2500, and not one spot of rust.

Do you use drip or dripless, because that's another debate. Dripless costs more but it's supposed to be better. Makes sense because it clings to metal for a longer period.

Here's a good article and it even mentions the Canadian Army test http://www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-service-is-best

rceme74

I use dripless, because it is thicker and it will creep into the seams of the body panels. One real key is to keep the undercarriage clean and rust free as possible. In the spring I get the undercarriage power washed, let dry and then get some rust paint and paint the bare spots. then when its hot undercoat the vehicle. It seems to last a long time. I know its a lot of extra work, but the cost of replacing my truck is over the top, so I will spend a little extra time.

vesh_89

What's your opinion on doing this for the first time if it's never been done before? My truck is an '08 and I've never done it but thought about doing it soon. Is there any point to it now, or will I just be sealing in rust, grime and water?

MILLER

Vesh_89, it just happens that my daughter owns a 2008 car and I will be rust proofing it today. She just bought it and I think it might of been done once before. I believe in "better late than never," with most things, especially something as important as rust proofing. If you don't plan on selling your truck, and you want to add more years to it, then I believe it's well worth the investment. Remember, water and oil don't mix, so you will be extending the life of panels, brake lines, gas tank, etc......so that's the benefit of rustproofing. I owned a 1994 Ford before the one I own now, rust proofed it every year, and had many people complimenting how good of shape it was in for a 94. As for sealing in rust, grime and water, I would just try to remove as much dirt from underneath as you can using a pressure washer, or just a regular hose, if that's all you have. All vehicles will eventually get rust over the years, however, you can slow it right down with rust proofing. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

mooboy76
On 10/6/2016 at 0:19 PM, JustMe said:

ECO-RUST-TECH, very thorough and environment friendly. Does box liners too.

I'm probably going with them this year.  I think it is about $110+tax for each of my cars.  Corrosion-Free at Canadian Tire is ~$130?

Either looks like a decent product.  I do like the lanolin scent of the Fluid Film that ECO Rust Tech uses - and the darn stuff NEVER goes on sale at Canadian Tire.  Always $15 a can.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

rceme74

It comes down to do something to protect your investment.  Repairs to the body is over the top. Up to $1000.00 for a gallon of quality paint, plus all the other things that go along with the paint job.

JustMe

Eco Rust Tech, has a brand new shop, as I said before he also does awesome box liners. Did my rocker panels with box liner, rocks bounce right off, not sure if he can do that anymore in the new shop. 

mooboy76

Ah, good thing you said that. I'm booking my appointment and might have been confused going to the Prestige Limo building!

CSSA Member

CCFR Member