• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Justin Johnson

Ontario Wolf & Coyote Research

Justin Johnson

Hey Thunder Bay hunters.

My name is Justin and I'm a Masters student at Trent University who is researching wolf and coyote habitat use throughout eastern North America with a focus on Ontario. I'm curious how these animals are using their landscape and am in the process of creating an extremely large distribution map which shows where you are most likely to find wolves and coyotes. My project is made possible due to the support of various independent trappers, museums, fur auctions (NAFA, FHA), and universities because the samples are so difficult to obtain and we require so many! 

This leads me to my question - if anyone expects to have access to wolf OR coyote samples in the coming year and would like to support ecological research I would be absolutely thrilled to cover the cost of shipping the samples. All that is required is 20-40 hairs from an individual with an accurate (<1 KM) GPS location (can be done on a cell phone!). Acknowledgements for support will be made in any publications and presentations, while your efforts will help us better understand how wolves and coyotes are responding to landscape modification and habitat fragmentation. 

I have attached an image which shows the location of a few hundred of our samples, as you can see we are quite sparse in the Thunder Bay area. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions or would like a more in-depth review of my proposal and methods. Feel free to email me at any time at justinjohnson@trentu.ca

ThunderBayLocs.png

TroutHunter

If one comes through my crosshairs, i'll be sure to get in touch and send you some samples!!  Do you need the entire hair, including root and hair shaft?

Good luck with your research

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Justin Johnson

Great question! The entire hair including the root is the most useful - the best method is to grab a small clump and pull against the grain (20-40 hairs). Sealed paper envelopes are the best way to store them (just at room temperature) because plastic bags can cause condensation. Again, since my research involves mapping, the GPS location is the most important. Any coordinate/location format is fine (even placemarks on google maps as long as they're accurate).

Good luck this season!

Iron Ranger

Do you supply the ammo?

Come on across the border.

You might get some samples of dog fur mixed in with wolf fur after the devils snatch the dogs from the yards of people who let their yippe dogs out to do their business.

Seriously, good luck with your studies.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Some Old Guy

This is pretty cool. I might be able to help you. Fire me an email at tech@thunderbayfishing.com

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Justin Johnson

Unfortunately due to the typical budgetary constraints of ecological research I won't be able to supply any of the ammunition, thanks for all your thoughts though!

Happy hunting.

Justin

tomtom

I'm not sure why but the wolf hanging around my yard is eating rotten apples off the ground