• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Mr. Canoehead

Road hunters blocking the way

Mr. Canoehead

What do you guys think? If someone is crawling up a logging road about 5kph and you need the get to your hunting spot at the end of the road, should they let you pass?  I just assumed that was common sense until last weekend. I got annoyed aftet a while so I tail gaited the guy and let him know I was planning to pass him. He blocked me and jumped out and basically tried to scrap me and said I think I own the bush. I told him he's the only one acting like he owns the bush.

The way i see it, it has nothing to with hunting. It's a road. It's about driving.

Edit: Had to cut out the rest of my story/rant it sounded too whiny lol. 

• Like 1

hunt or be hunted

Ahhhh the good old Hollywood hunters !!!!!! U have every right to pass him, he's choosing to drive the road and hunt from his truck which is fine but he can't block the way of travel for others ( you in this case) from passing him to continue furthur down the road to reach another location!  

• Like 1

Garbie

I have been on both sides of this question. I often idle the road looking for chickens, I have no problem with someone passing me to continue on their way, sure it may spook the birds, but give it a few minutes and they usually return. But if your passing me only to be first in line and hunt ahead of me, then we have a problem. On the other side I feel bad when I catch a hunter and he is just idling along. I have to pass and hope they understand. That's a gamble you take hunting a traveled road. I would feel even worse if someone were mobility impaired and their only means to enjoy the activity.

• Like 1

levi64

If you are going to be hunting the roads you have to expect to be passed at some point, however like Garbie said, if your passing just to hunt in front of a fellow hunter, thats not cool

Dirttracker18

Double edged sword.  If it is daylight and I am changing locations I drive slow and keep a lookout.

You blasting past ruins all of that and may mean you get the moose I am looking for.  Also how do I know we are not heading for the same place?

On the other hand I understand you frustration as well.

Both sides have a point

The Great Outdoors

AB

Most of the logging roads in WMU 13 are pretty well travelled corridors meant for one thing, the movement of  commercial vehicles in and out of an area. If someone wants to try and bag game off them, that's their prerogative, but they shouldn't get upset, nor impede another vehicle from moving past.

Now bumping along a single lane tote road for chickens....that's another story.

I've noticed a lot of the great grouse habitat is being damaged by the slow trolling truck & ATV hunting fraternity. Sections of grit that the birds require are being transformed into ultra compacted areas that rival pavement. Shallow puddles are dredged into deep holes eventually making the road impassable, creating un-natural drainage / erosion problems.  

Personally, I'd support a ban on the use of ATV /UTV vehicles for small game hunting, and limited use of them during daylight hours for big game hunting. If you aren't a mobility impaired hunter, get off your duff and take a walk!

AB

fishman1
2 hours ago, AB said:

Most of the logging roads in WMU 13 are pretty well travelled corridors meant for one thing, the movement of  commercial vehicles in and out of an area. If someone wants to try and bag game off them, that's their prerogative, but they shouldn't get upset, nor impede another vehicle from moving past.

Now bumping along a single lane tote road for chickens....that's another story.

I've noticed a lot of the great grouse habitat is being damaged by the slow trolling truck & ATV hunting fraternity. Sections of grit that the birds require are being transformed into ultra compacted areas that rival pavement. Shallow puddles are dredged into deep holes eventually making the road impassable, creating un-natural drainage / erosion problems.  

Personally, I'd support a ban on the use of ATV /UTV vehicles for small game hunting, and limited use of them during daylight hours for big game hunting. If you aren't a mobility impaired hunter, get off your duff and take a walk!

AB

If you ban atv use people will only use their trucks more.Atv is much more economical, you can cover 10 times the country in a day, you're not burning expensive fuel and beating the crap out of our vehicle.

but on the other hand, it does turn the tide in the hunters favour and opens p the country.

2 sides?

Foozer

I'm not a fan of the quads bombing all over the place.

And there's been so many times guys say there aren't any birds out and all they did was blast by them on a bike while picking off a couple that are out on the road. 

Ive walked the same road buddy drove down and had a limit in a hour, just walking.

They make it difficult to see or hear a damn thing with the helmet on.  Any they are loud as all hell too.  Must be tough to hunt that way.

Then they access some of the more grown in trails and old roads and push the big game even further into the holes where you can't get at 'em.

Very lazy "hunting" if you can call it that.

Used as a tool to pull your game out - sure!  Hunting from one -just lazy!

Covering more ground doesn't mean you'll be more successful.

In any case, I've been the guy letting people go by while hunting chickens from the road.  They were on the way to a deer stand.  But I've also been the guy trying to get by the bird hunter to get to an old cut for moose and been frustrated by the guy blocking passage.

But I'd be pissed too if I let him by only to stare at his tail lights as he crawled along in front of me.

So many different circumstances to consider....

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

AB
22 hours ago, fishman1 said:

If you ban atv use people will only use their trucks more.Atv is much more economical, you can cover 10 times the country in a day, you're not burning expensive fuel and beating the crap out of our vehicle.

but on the other hand, it does turn the tide in the hunters favour and opens p the country.

2 sides?

Fuel economy concerns while hunting? Your feet could get you down that trail for free! Put those expensive hunting boots to work!

Put the truck in park at the start of the road and turn off the ignition, get out, grab your gear and go for a walk. That will save  precious "expensive" fuel. It also lets the next guy know, there is someone on this trail.

Shoot Straight!

AB

fishman1
18 hours ago, AB said:

Fuel economy concerns while hunting? Your feet could get you down that trail for free! Put those expensive hunting boots to work!

Put the truck in park at the start of the road and turn off the ignition, get out, grab your gear and go for a walk. That will save  precious "expensive" fuel. It also lets the next guy know, there is someone on this trail.

Shoot Straight!

AB

Park the truck and walk, so the next guy can drive past me and ruin my hunt? 

I do walk when in my area, but use the quad more for covering ground during the scoutinghase.

there was a time before the influx of southern ontario hunters when there was a thing called ethics.

when you seen a vehicle parked y,ou turned around.

now when someone sees a vehicle it seems to be an invite telling them that you know something is in the area. And it only makes them drive in to where you are.

dont have to worry about this now as I no longer support the MNR moose hunting debaucle and no longer buy a tag like the tens of thousands of others that have also given it up.

RatherBeFishin

Ban a quad or restrict during daylight hours ? Thats absurd , the road thats ultracompacted and or impassable wasnt there until they cut it and the grouse survived fine. I use a quad and there is absolutely no problem there. I hunt during the morning hours and evening hours by foot. Then ride around on the quad in the aft for something to do. I know everyones got there opinons but that is just to far out there ! 

gsambray

I don't own an atv and do a lot of hunting on foot. I enjoy it more than the few occasions when I have access to an atv. If you have one use it but it all comes down to ethics. If I see a truck in a cut I will go to the next available area. But I was also brought up that way. When I am lucky and get one on the ground I use the old school method of quartering and carrying with an old frame pack. In fact I have actually been successful by sitting in a cut and having the atv road warriors going past and pushing game out in the open. Have respect for each other out there offer help to whom is in need and enjoy what your doing. That's what I follow and keeps everything  less stressful 

• Like 3

AB

I own a quad, and fully support the use of them to help get an animal out of the bush. My vehicle is not equipped with a gun or bow case and its likely going to remain that way for as long as I can walk.

That being said, I can understand the effect the vehicle and my actions could have on another hunters success. My primary beef with motorized vehicles being used for hunting comes is when they are used for small game hunting.

But restricting the use of motorized vehicles for hunting proposes isn't unheard of. See the section below, taken from the Alberta 2016 Hunting regs.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS

The use of vehicles, including off-highway vehicles (OHVs), is controlled by various regulations. Refer to the Wildlife Management Unit Map for more information (click here to order your copy of the 2016 Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations which contains the WMU map).

Vehicle Use and Restrictions
The ‘footprint’ of vehicles is much greater than the average foot. Noise, erosion, soil compaction, habitat disturbance and vegetation impacts generally increase with vehicle use. Hunters are requested to minimize the impacts of vehicles where they are permitted and abide by limitations to vehicle use where applicable.
All off highway vehicles (OHVs) operated on public land must be registered, insured and have a visible licence plate. Vehicles must also have a headlight, tail light, muffler and spark arrestor.

Hunting with Motorized Vehicles
It is unlawful to

• discharge a weapon at antelope from within 46 m (50 yards) of a vehicle;
  • use motorized travel within Willmore Wilderness Park; and
  • carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
    * this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters).

*NOTE: Hunting big game after the 6 hour timeframe as indicated in #2 above does not negate the potential application of #1 above.

Recreation Trails
A number of forested areas throughout Alberta have designated recreation trails. These areas allow a variety of activities including hiking, horseback riding, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling. Trail users and backcountry travellers should be aware of current land use restrictions. For more information on recreation trails, contact the Information Centre in Edmonton (click here for details).

Trappers’ Trails
Many trails on Crown lands are created and maintained by trappers. To avoid interference with trapline operations, recreationists are urged to avoid motorized use of trails marked with signs indicating “Active Trapline,” especially during trapping seasons of November through February.

From a little closer to home, look what Deer Hunters in Minnesota have had put in place to deal with ORV traffic in the woods.

From Minnesota’s Hunting Regulations…..

ARE THERE SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS ON OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE USE DURING DEER SEASON?

To reduce disturbance during the prime deer hunting times, operation of off-highway vehicles and snowmobiles is restricted during the regular firearms deer season:

Licensed deer hunters

Licensed deer hunters must not operate an off-highway vehicle or snowmobile on public or private property in an area where their license is valid except:

• Before legal shooting hours (½ hour before sunrise)

• From 11am until 2pm.

• After legal shooting hours (½ hour after sunset).

• On property they own.

• On private property with the landowner’s permission.

• Under a permit issued by a conservation officer in an emergency or other unusual situation.

Motor vehicles licensed for and being operated on public highways, or farm tractors being used for agricultural purposes, are exempt from this restriction.

Crazy talk! Absurd! No, just a few rules that are put in place to reduce potential conflicts and promote the enjoyment of hunting.

Have a good one folks!

AB

hunt or be hunted

Interesting info and read I'll say that ! But things are kinda getting way off topic from the original post that had nothing to do with atv's or any bush disturbance???? Lol 

Mr. Canoehead

Great discussion guys.

In my case it was a main logging road with several secondary cut roads branching from it. And we both were hunting for deer around 4pm, time to get into position for the evening.

If he were driving down a dead end road that would be much the same as if he were parked there.  I would have just gone elsewhere.

After he found out I wasn't going to "his" spot he did let me pass. But this was after calling me out in front of my 4 year old! I think he had serious anger issues and took it out on me knowing i wouldnt be scrapping anyone in front of my kid. So i stayed out of his range and diffused the situation.  But the nerve of this guy to try to pick a fight while standing right beside a deep muddy ditch lol. 

If he had been respectful we could have talked about it without the threat of violence.  That was actually most of the problem.  

Personally I like when people drive the roads because it might scare the deer back to the treeline where I hunt!

Fred

Those "restrictions" for Alberta are pretty much the same as here. Except for the part of where they call a rifle for hunting a "weapon". A weapon is for offensive or defensive protocols. That kind of language is what antis will jump all over. As for saying I shouldn't use a quad for my hunting and should walk is the same as me telling every guy who fishes they can't use a motor boat or a snow machine. Paddle or walk!

AB

I'm guessing Fred doesn't fish up at Hazelwood or anything in Quetico Park. I'm just having a little fun Fred, no offense intended.

All kidding aside, there are places where motorized vehicles (ORV and trucks, outboard motors and snow machines) aren't allowed for various reasons. 

It's a shame we feel we need them in order to be successful harvesting game. 

I hope everyone has chance to enjoy at least one conflict free day in the field this glorious fall season.

AB

• Like 2

Fred

No offence taken. All I was saying was if you can use a quad, use it if you want. Just be respectful.