• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

mooboy76

Neebing Thermal Treatment Facility for Non-hazardous Waste

mooboy76

In case you live in Neebing, and were not aware, there is a proposed Waste Thermal Treatment Facility that will take the place of the Sandhill landfill site.

There is an Environmental Registry entry for comment that is open until December 5th.

https://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTMwNzI0&statusId=MTk3OTg5&language=en

https://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTMwNzE0&statusId=MTk3OTcw&language=en

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what materials are actually going to be processed.  Last night, I heard that municipal garbage and waste was only going to be about 1% of the material processed and that they are also going to rely on woody & biomass waste/fuel.  I missed the information meeting last week, so I can't substantiate that.

syn-gas, bio-diesel / heating oil are the main commodity products produced.  I'm just learning of it a week or so ago, so I don't have much info on the emissions side of things.

From what I've heard, the municipality is fronting the land and the company is spending all the other cash for the facility and equipment. 

Orion Eco Solutions is the company

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

FYI 

Looks like this project is going forward, although there is currently a petition to stop the rezoning of the Sand Hill RD Landfill - a required step to build the Thermal plant there.

It is still unclear where all the waste is going to come from; I'm pretty sure Oliver-Paipoonge said they want nothing to do with it.

The municipality and Orion Eco Solutions also talked about trucking in wood/biomass waste materials to process, in addition to hauling in residential waste.

From a couple of conversations with residents, and listening to the municipal meetings, there seems to be  conflicting information.  The MOE gave them two Certificates of Approval; one to deposit mineral ash in the landfill, and one for air emissions; but the word from council seems to be that the ash will not be deposited in the landfill, and that there will be essentially no emissions.   At this stage in the game, I would think everyone would, and should, be on the same page.

I'm a bit annoyed that the Municipality expects the residents to independently track down all of the pertinent information from the company and the MOE, rather than provide a full information package, but since I have not gotten directly involved, then I can't complain too much.;)

I've been told the petition goes in Wednesday, and that there is a copy posted at AJ's for anyone interested.

We (Ontarians) may see more of this in the future, I see many existing landfills in Ontario will be at capacity within the next 25 years.  I don't think the Province is currently taking a sunny view on opening several hundred more to accommodate the growing waste streams.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member