• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

crazyctr

black bay

AB
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, allymeagan said:

Hey AB, how light should our gear be? Have a shack booked two weeks from now, and it'll be our first time out there. I have lots of 1/4 oz and some 1/8, should I get more 1/8 oz? Or go lighter? 

Ally,

For most of us in this neck of the woods, ice fishing for perch is something new. We all have gear that can easily handle walleyes, trout, pike and other bigger critters. But not everyone has light gear to detect the soft bites of pan fish.

I travel for work quite a bit and my fishing gear goes with me no matter what season. Now although I was able to purchase a license and go fish, I wasn't always as successful as the locals, especially when chasing crappies and other pan fish during the winter months. In general, I was just running to heavy on everything, rods, lines and lures. So I started watching what the successful folks were using, talking to the folks in far away tackle stores & bringing home new rods and tackle.

Now for Black Bay, because of the water depths and currents in play, I run lures in the 1/8 to 1/4 oz variety. I lightened up the line from 8lb mono to 6lb ice braid, tipped with 6lb fluorocarbon points. The change in diameter of the line alone helps cut down water drag and let a lighter lure get down further and faster.

Here is a snapshot of my main tackle for Black Bay. tackle pack.JPG  It's not a lot, but that's because I have given up on hauling out everything but the kitchen sink. These work well enough to put fish on the ice.

What really helped put more fish on the ice was gearing down on the fishing rod...John Mitchel, Elite Series 48 and 28" Meat Sticks have super sensitive tips tat allow me to detect the slightest lightest tap of a fish inhaling a bait. They also have enough back bone that I can handle the odd walleye or pike that latches on.

tips n jigs.JPG

When I talk about using lighter gear, its the rods and lines that I found paid off most when targeting the Black Bay Perch.

Good Luck out there, Hope the weather is great when you rent the shack!

AB

• Like 3

allymeagan

I really appreciate the info!  I'll probably bring everything and the kitchen sink with me to try lol.  I might invest in a jawjacker type device just to try as well, and then try it for a set line when I'm brook fishing.  I wanted to get a couple new rods, so this gives me a good excuse.  Thanks again, and I'll let you all know how we do!

scandiman
22 hours ago, Wolf said:

The rod tips were going crazy when out. My issue is when we leave the rods in the butt holders on the wall of the shack I can hand line and land the fish no problem. But would like to reel in the fish with the rod. If I touch the rod to get it out I most often lose the fish. Any tips to avoid this. It seems the rod on butt holder had more action vs one holding the rod. I tried one of those cheap red rod holders that go on buckets but I still seem to miss lots of fish. I started to set the hook by hand and then carefully pick up the rod to reel it in 

I prefer to set hook with a rod over hand bombing with any fish I catch, especially perch. Just my preference, however I feel like I've come close to perfecting it. 

When you see your rod tip detect a bite, carefully pick up rod and drop the tip down to allow slack line, this allows the fish to hold bait without resistance. Then slowly lift rod tip, if you feel any resistance, set the hook. Remember, perch, even jumbos, aren't huge fish so don't go crazy on the hook set. 

Good luck out there! 

Redline

Can someone please provide a phone # to rent a day hut out at black bay.

Thanks

Some Old Guy

tel: 807-857-1462 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Redline
38 minutes ago, Roger Mayer said:

tel: 807-857-1462

Roger

Thank You Roger!!

• Like 1

whiskeyranger
On 14/01/2017 at 5:38 PM, Keegan4 said:

What are the snow/ice conditions like? 

We were out yesterday where Gary has the shacks rented and hit about 18".  Easy digging.  

whiskeyranger

Great day yesterday. Thanks Gary for the ride out and shack rental.   Four out of the five of us were first time out here and everyone had a great time.    Anyone thinking about going out give Gary a call at Hamilton Baits and he will look after you.

bin fishin lots

Was out Saturday and the 2 of us got limits and off the ice early. Thank you Gary!

allymeagan

Love hearing about the fishing there, I'm pumped for next week!  It'll be my first time out and so excited!

Trigger Happy

Hi, just curious how far out are the jumbos this year. Are they near granite again? How's the sled ride? Thx in advance

Wolf
14 hours ago, Trigger Happy said:

Hi, just curious how far out are the jumbos this year. Are they near granite again? How's the sled ride? Thx in advance

Out the past Sunday. Little rough going if off the trail Garry has. On the trail is also a little rough but not too bad. I think It was 12km out. I think granite is where Garry has his shacks.  

trekalpye

Hi i just want to know if it is possible for my daughter(6) and i to walk from shore to catch some fish off hurkett harbor? We can't walk very far from shore maybe 1/2 mile or so.

Jayfishin
3 hours ago, trekalpye said:

Hi i just want to know if it is possible for my daughter(6) and i to walk from shore to catch some fish off hurkett harbor? We can't walk very far from shore maybe 1/2 mile or so.

Water is fairly shallow out from there and doesn't change much if you are only willing to walk out up to a 1/2 mile but yes you do have a chance of catching some perch, walleye, or pike.  Gary has a taxi service out to where his shacks are if that is a better option for you?

Jay

levi64

10 hours ago, Jayfishin said:

Water is fairly shallow out from there and doesn't change much if you are only willing to walk out up to a 1/2 mile but yes you do have a chance of catching some perch, walleye, or pike.  Gary has a taxi service out to where his shacks are if that is a better option for you?

Jay

I have used Gary's taxi service and his day shack before as my buddy brought his kids, the price was very fair and the kids had a blast, well worth it.

• Like 1

mmadge

Hi I'm thinking of trying black bay perch fishing for the first time this weekend and wondering if anyone has any information about the typical depth of the water for perch fishing. Just wondering if I need to re-rig my tip-ups with additional line to get to the bottom. 

Thanks

scandiman
8 minutes ago, mmadge said:

Hi I'm thinking of trying black bay perch fishing for the first time this weekend and wondering if anyone has any information about the typical depth of the water for perch fishing. Just wondering if I need to re-rig my tip-ups with additional line to get to the bottom. 

Thanks

16-20 FOW is where I usually target perch. Never fished anything deeper than 35 FOW.

mmadge
1 hour ago, scandiman said:

16-20 FOW is where I usually target perch. Never fished anything deeper than 35 FOW.

Okay thank you

NWO
39 minutes ago, Foozer said:

Weather made things wet and sloppy today.  Trail was soft and Gary asked that we cruise just off it to prevent it from completely rotting away.  

One pressure ridge not far from dock was a couple feet high on our way out but crossing was ok.  On the way out it had dropped to a mild hump.

We brought home limits.  Took about 4.5 hours.

Nothing over 13", 17 fish from 10-12", and only 6 under 8".  The remaining 27 were between 8 and 10".  What can I say?  I like to count things.

Actually, it was Gary who knocked down the ice-ridge with his know-how and a big ole iron chipping bar.

Gary works hard out there to keep things flowing for everyone....be they clients or not.  Hats off to the man.

Glad you had a good day........we were fortunate too with near non-stop action.

• Like 4

levi64

Any update on conditions over the weekend. I don't know if they had as much or more rain than us. Much Slush? 

crazyctr

Due to the poor conditions out on black bay i am suspending operations until it freezes up out there again

WE WILL STILL BE OPEN FOR MINNOW SALES 

hbaits.jpg

Domer

Made it out to black bay today. 6 of us took Gary's chariot out to the slush bog where all the shacks are. The lake is all water and snow. Slush and water everywhere. Good thing there is not too much snow on the lake. The fishing was pretty good. Landed over 150 fish and kept 58. So many small fish. The bite was only good when u didn't jig ur line. The flashers were basically only for entertainment today for the most part. When u left ur line still they would hit. The kids were troopers and had a blast. Thanks again Gary. Dom's fishing team strikes again. We have a dynasty team that can't be beat. Our numbers don't lie. 

IMG_2603.JPG

• Like 1