• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Iron Ranger

Martin and Fisher Trapping?

Iron Ranger

My wife said I cannot stare out the window waiting for good ice any more. I'm retired and have a lot of time on my hands between seasons. I have noticed while hunting quite a few Fisher and Martin while I hunt and travel. They seem to favor the spruce, balsam and pine stands. One late afternoon coming back from bird hunting on a small gravel road I saw 4 fisher crossing the road in a 45 min. span. I have had Martin chasing squirrels in the trees while hunting also.

I've trapped Muskrats and a few Fox's, but I do not know where to get started with these two critters. Any help? Best type of traps, sets, attractors, scent would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to get one of each specie to add to my collection of mounts. I have no problem with money or time spent trapping them.

Can anyone help an old guy out?

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Thefishleclair

By yerself some 160 conibears, Make some boxes and bait them with beaver meat or other scraps, there are many lures to pick as well that will attract them ( I use ones with a Skunk base). Make sure you check your local regulations for licenses and setting baiting of traps, Not all traps are legal to set and also how you set them. Leaning poles or horizontal sets in trees will work well for the fisher and marten. Youtube has allot of video's. "Set for a mouse anchor for an elephant"

Good Luck

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Iron Ranger
9 hours ago, Thefishleclair said:

By yerself some 160 conibears, Make some boxes and bait them with beaver meat or other scraps, there are many lures to pick as well that will attract them ( I use ones with a Skunk base). Make sure you check your local regulations for licenses and setting baiting of traps, Not all traps are legal to set and also how you set them. Leaning poles or horizontal sets in trees will work well for the fisher and marten. Youtube has allot of video's. "Set for a mouse anchor for an elephant"

Good Luck

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know about 160 Connibears. I am doing this mainly as hobby to get a couple good mounts and have something to do until we have ice. I already cranked out a bunch of box's this afternoon. I would like your advise on a connibear size. I already have a good idea from your you tube suggestions.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction sir.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Thefishleclair

160 is the size, you can buy 120, 160, 220, 280, 330 and I've seen 660's!

The 160 Size is a good one for Marten and Fisher. Not to big for the marten and not to small for fishers.

220, 280 is good for Otter, Raccoon

330 is good for Otter, Beaver, Lynx

And the 660 I dunno. Its a big trap that can cover allot of area.

First off read up on the regulations in your area. Every place has different rules on how to and where to set. I know of some places you cannot stick a marten trap in a tree if its more then 4" in Diameter. Also some need to be X amount of feet of the ground. If I remember correctly you are in the USA?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Iron Ranger
12 hours ago, Thefishleclair said:

160 is the size, you can buy 120, 160, 220, 280, 330 and I've seen 660's!

The 160 Size is a good one for Marten and Fisher. Not to big for the marten and not to small for fishers.

220, 280 is good for Otter, Raccoon

330 is good for Otter, Beaver, Lynx

And the 660 I dunno. Its a big trap that can cover allot of area.

First off read up on the regulations in your area. Every place has different rules on how to and where to set. I know of some places you cannot stick a marten trap in a tree if its more then 4" in Diameter. Also some need to be X amount of feet of the ground. If I remember correctly you are in the USA?

Yes I figured the # 160 right away after doing some research.

Thank you for your help.

Piketree

Iron ranger, are you a licenced trapper?  You will require a trapper's licence and an approved area to trap such as private land or registered trapline if you want to set traps. 

Thefishleclair

Piketree I think he is from the USA.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB