• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Lac des Mille Lacs Ice Conditions

adam_k

I was there yesterday when the truck went threw the ice it was around the corner to the left from the landing at pine point prob only 50-75 feet from shore be carful out there maybe the ice isent as good as everyone is reporting

SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP

Supposedly this was the truck at pine point!

IMG_1066.JPG

Def be careful out there!

Thefishleclair

YIKES!!! I remember once going out there. Was told solid 18" of ice no problems driving. Parked my truck and drilled first hole 12"......Was not Impressed with the report! Stay safe everyone! Hopefully everyone got out OK

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

arvey

No matter were it happened or who it happened to , that would put a brown stain in your underwear.

adam_k
1 hour ago, SILVER MINNOW BAIT SHOP said:

Supposedly this was the truck at pine point!

IMG_1066.JPG

Def be careful out there!

IMG_5635.JPG

Foozer
2 hours ago, Thefishleclair said:

YIKES!!! I remember once going out there. Was told solid 18" of ice no problems driving. Parked my truck and drilled first hole 12"......Was not Impressed with the report! Stay safe everyone! Hopefully everyone got out OK

On Boxing Day I was told a solid 15".

After I drive my truck on and water was pumping up from the holes I drilled I measured the ice with my scoop.  It's got up to 16" marked on the handle.

One hole at 12" and the next at 10.5". Forget that!

I parked the truck on shore and walked back to my holes.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Thefishleclair

Wonder if the Same person told the 2 of us???

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Fishallspec

So how and when do (They ?) get that out of there? There has to be some hefty fines and environmental impacts ! Fuels, oils. etc. 

Fishall. 

PRO V

..........this could also be an issue with insurance, double, and triple check by phoning your broker, before you hit the ice.

Mike

• Like 1

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

download_20170104_120026.jpg

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

CoryCo

I called my insurance they said I'd be covered under comprehensive. Doesn't hurt to ask. 

Towed the shack hack out from the landing at sawmill bay. Went all the way to coffin. Road is not bad. Few slush spots. One lane the entire way. 

• Like 1

wampa

I was out there also when this happened.  Solid 16" everywhere I drilled (even about 40 yards from where the truck went down).  This guy drove off the "road" (on the shore side) to get around a slushy area and went through about 15 yards from shore between the big rock and the first dock to the left of the boat launch.  I seem to remember that area always having some slush and somebody once told me there is a spring in that area.  Lots of slush coming up at pine point with the recent foot of snow that dumped the last couple of days.  Truck was still frozen in the ice as of yesterday and I heard they were going to try to get it out today with airbags.  

• Like 2

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

eyelander

Yes there is some kind of up-welling there near that rock. A few years ago my bud walked over to it for whatever reason and broke through and got a wet foot. I walked near enough for him to toss me something and I broke through even though I was 15-20 feet away, but I managed to avoid a wet foot.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Fishallspec

Maybe it can get staked or marked some how to prevent another accident after the truck is removed. If there is a loss of life the next time, I am sure the local Ice Fishing Community would be all over it. Prevention is the key.

Fishall. 

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

How's everyone doing I went out yesterday and got 7 walleye and a pike and lost lots

GaryE

2 of us out fishing yesterday, got 5 pickerel and 2 perch during the afternoon.

speckmaster

Heard that fishing has slowed down 

mikejson

Got back this afternoon. It wasn't as crazy as last week, but it wasn't horrible, the bite seemed to be on mid morning. They aren't biting hard, and with this cold, a few times I went out and broke the ice and had something nibbling. Wasn't hard enough to pull it down with the little skim freeze on the hole though.

The road is great, and they were working on it all weekend. It is super wide in most spots, and rock solid.

There are some little cracks with a little water coming up from them. If people drive slow (I can hear Gary now) that road should hold up for quit a while...

Those 60km/hr+ idiots are going to ruin it though...

FishyFishy

Good day. Sounds like everyone is having fun but mainly staying safe. Heading out to coffin in the morning just checking in on ice road conditions. Thanks all. 

Jayfishin

How come the guys that maintain the ice road don't make it wider early in the season instead of one lane?

At the in-laws camp, when we had to access by a winter ice road,  the guys would have it plowed 50ft wide early to allow for the cold to drive down into the ice which helped with any slush issues as well having enough width to compensate for wind/drifting thru the winter. We generally had a good road even though it may of ended up being only half as wide later that winter. It seems at Lac that one lane sure doesn't last long the first day with any wind/drifting as well as slush in a lot of places.....just my observations. 

Jay 

speckmaster

Maybe because it's so long. IDK?

mikejson

The road is bigger at around this time. It takes time for the ice to be safe enough to do so.

You can always drop your blade on the way in and out. If you don't have a blade be thankful for what all those that do drop their blades do.

Last time I was out,  except where there was slush on both sides of the road near birch, the road was 2+ lanes wide and like a highway... saw 2 different trucks working most of the days on the weekend widening the road.

• Like 1

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin
20 hours ago, Jayfishin said:

How come the guys that maintain the ice road don't make it wider early in the season instead of one lane?

At the in-laws camp, when we had to access by a winter ice road,  the guys would have it plowed 50ft wide early to allow for the cold to drive down into the ice which helped with any slush issues as well having enough width to compensate for wind/drifting thru the winter. We generally had a good road even though it may of ended up being only half as wide later that winter. It seems at Lac that one lane sure doesn't last long the first day with any wind/drifting as well as slush in a lot of places.....just my observations. 

Jay 

My 2 cents. I plow a lot

You can't move a bank very well on ice. Because the snow banks insulates slush. Ideally one guy plows road 50 ft wide . Throwing snow to only on side leaving one side of road virgin snow ... Can always bust that virgin snow later when road gets narrow.. but somebody always Trys to help and drops a blade after a heavy snow and puts up a bank on wrong side or middle of road . voillla road is ruined. Can't windrow it easily any wider once banks set. And to throw snow good u need some speed. Speed breaks ice.

Also a wide road people will speed. And again that pops ice  which cause issues.

Narrow road ..Lots of turns..Keeps traffic slow and Rd easy to maintain.

I think that makes sense

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Jayfishin

I understand your points about speeding, etc and obviously the length and other variables affect what can be done. I guess only those that actually plow it really know what can be accomplished based on the responses above. I only go out their once or twice a winter so it really doesn't matter to me as I don't have a shack out there, just as well sled out if road isn't driveable....just some oberservations is all.

There is always risks to travellin on frozen water so judge your travels accordingly :)

IMG_0223.JPG

• Like 2