• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
flybum

2016 season

flybum

Well, i had a great year this year. i tagged my first antlerless on sept 2nd(first pic) and then put in a ton of work and practise for the next few months after that.

I acquired permission on a new property and set out a camera. i headed out and sat for a morning and pulled my card and a had a beautiful 4ish year old 4x5/ 9pt(pic 2) buck on camera. i was excited that i had a good one on camera. i showed my wife and she said..

"you need to go sit in your tree stand until he comes out"

Say no more! i went and sat for the rest of the day... without seeing a thing. i had permission to sit until i got my buck(thanks wife) so i headed out the next morning and was out an hour before light (as usual) i sat through the morning and was burning my phone battery on all my games on my phone while the squirrels harassed me... 

10:45am, i hear a stick break, it was loud enough that i knew it wasn't a squirrel, i started to scan the clearing and saw some legs below some branches. 10 seconds later i saw the body and then the antlers. i got a little excited... he must have been following a does tracks because he was weaving all over the place. He stopped broadside at 30yds and i set my pin and let one lose. the arrow hit its mark and the deer went less than 10yds.Turns out it wasn't the buck i had on camera but a nice 5+ year old, 6x6/12pt buck with some split G2s.(Pic 3 was at 10:47)

i called my wife and a buddy to help me out and headed back to the truck with some of my gear and to get my field dressing stuff and spotted this "doe" (actually a button buck but didn't see that). i decided to put a stalk on this "doe" and ended up getting a perfect broadside shot at 50yds. Again, my arrow found its mark. the deer went about 20yds and dropped(pic 5). 2 deer down in less than 30 mins.

I was excited to get my largest buck to date and to double up in one day. i was also excited to share the experience with my daughter who was very excited and told me how " beautiful" my buck was, over and over again.  

2016 season in the books and it will be a tough one to replicate. 

Picture 6 is a trail camera picture from a friend, he caught my buck on a different property a little ways away. pretty cool to see the pic of him. 

Side note... when field dressing my buck he had a full passthrough bullet hole high shoulder. someone is obviously hunting with FMJ bullets.

IMG_9245.JPG

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9835.PNG

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9948.JPG

• Like 1

allymeagan

Congrats, awesome job! Always like to hear when people practice and make great shots.  That's a beautiful buck and way to go on filling your tags.

• Like 1

jonut13

Congrats on the year Flybum.  Mine was the total opposite.  I had two target shooters inside of 40 yards and no shots fired.  The one was out in the food plot 40 minutes and just wouldn't turn, but it was still 1-1/2 hours before dark so I was just waiting. all of sudden all the deer in the field heads come up and they were gone.  A fox entered the plot and it was over. Later in the year I was hunting a ground blind, the deer was 4 yards from the shooting lane broadside and a chunk of snow fell on the blind and he was gone.  Also had a bear living in my other hunting location right till we had the second big snow so I didn't even really get to hunt that spot this year.  Ended up taking a nice on doe the last Friday, so ended on a bit of better note. 

• Like 1

flybum

Thanks guys, couldn't say the same of last year, but every squirrel finds a nut at some point. this fall was my  "NUT". 

on to spring bear!!!