• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

flyndie22

Need sleep help ELECTRICAL HELP

flyndie22

Hey guys looking for some help Tuesday night to diagnose añ electrical problem on my 600 sdi anyone on here have some time 

eyelander

What is a 600 sdi?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

flyndie22

It is a 600 sdi I'm just not good at electrical I know whay needs to be tested I just don't know how to do everything  with a mulitmeter 

I have a parasitic drain I'm figuring and would like some help with diagnosis 

eyelander

Ummm.......quad, outboard, snowmobile??????

eyelander

OK, was a little confused with the title of this thread"

"Need sleep help ELECTRICAL HELP"

but you typed in 600 sdi so I figured it might be a mechanical issue not a sleep issue LOL!

Check these 2 posts from a couple of other websites, similar issues, might be of some help.

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/59-ski-doo/39460-battery-loosing-voltage.html

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/526873-600ho-sdi-starting-problems/

flyndie22

Yeah sorry about that mixup and yes I've read pretty much all these posts just need someone to help me with checking the electrical it's a brand spanking new battery so the problem lies somewhere else 

naden
17 minutes ago, flyndie22 said:

Yeah sorry about that mixup and yes I've read pretty much all these posts just need someone to help me with checking the electrical it's a brand spanking new battery so the problem lies somewhere else 

What is the sled doing? 

flyndie22

Draining the battery when the sleds off or its not charging the battery when it's on. I just don't know how to test to see if it's working or not. Shouldn't be that hard to find 

naden
29 minutes ago, flyndie22 said:

So if you charge the battery the sled will start no problems but eventually dies, or after being left for a period of time the battery dies?

flyndie22

Yep battery is fine fully charged for a week or 2 after that it's dead somethings drawing power I'm almost 100 percent sure.

naden

I would charge the battery and start the sled, set your multi meter to dc volts and measure the voltage at the battery. The voltage should be around 14.4 volts. If the voltage is low I would guess you either have a bad stator or voltage regulator. 

If your battery is charging properly while riding but discharges after sitting for a while I kind of doubt there is a drain on the battery, more likely your new battery is defective. Was it doing the same thing before the new battery?

flyndie22

Yeah it was doing the same thing to the old battery just happened this year bought brand new oem battery and It was load tested battery is fine it has something to do with the electrical and I was told nothing would work on the sled if the stator was shot. Could be voltage regulator but Idk how to test it. 

naden

When my regulator went on my sled the voltage was low at idle and then high when revved up. I would try measuring the voltage at the battery or even a light bulb socket with the engine running, you could try revving it up or turning on hand and thumb warmbers, the voltage should stay relative constant. 

filletandrelease

To check for a draw disconnect the ground cable from the battery and put a test light from the neg terminal of the battery to the neg cable you took off.  If it lights up a circuit is being completed and something is draining your battery. Then open one circuit at a time until the light  goes out. When it goes out you know what circuit is draining your battery then repair that circuit

• Like 1

flyndie22

Ok I'm going to go to Canadian tire to get a test light and mulitmeter to see what I can find hopefully this works and it's not a 500 dollar stator lol

flyndie22

Well I just started the sled and checked the voltage at 3800 rpm and it's at 12.3 pretty sure it should be around 13.5 to 14 so the charging system isn't working correct?

naden
4 hours ago, flyndie22 said:

Well I just started the sled and checked the voltage at 3800 rpm and it's at 12.3 pretty sure it should be around 13.5 to 14 so the charging system isn't working correct?

That does seem low, does the voltage change between say idle and 5000 rpm or when you turn hand and thumb warmers on. 

flyndie22

Nope doesn't change at all so I'm guessing stator or voltage regulator got a guy to test it tmr and find out then let the $$$ fly cause it's gonna cost alot 

naden

That sucks man, I hope you didnt just buy that sled and someone else sold you their problem. 

flyndie22

Nope I've had it for 2 years awesome sled never had a problem with it until now unfortunately I've put about 800 bucks worth of upgrades shocks eCT. On it this month and now this just brutal timing 

naden

Well hopefully the guy thats looking at it for you can confirm whats wrong, for what its worth I know some people have had bad luck with aftermarket regulators and stators but I put a regulator from royal distributing in my sled and it has worked fine so far.