• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrewkruchak

Streamers / yarns and bugs

Andrewkruchak

Anyone care to share some patterns that work well around Thunder Bay for bows?.

Normally I use spawn/yarns or a maribou streamer and do well. I've tried aquatic bug patterns with no luck

Thanks 

Thefishleclair

Youtube Steelhead candy.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

TroutHunter

egg patterns (yarn flies, chenille flies), and stone fly patterns have worked for me... Those are all I've really fished spring run bows with... i imagine wooly buggers and other streamers and nymphs would work. haven't had to dig into the fly box for them yet! good luck and have fun tying!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Thefishleclair

Egg Sucking leach, Sucker spawn

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Clewis

Does anyone know a good video/article on how to setup a sight indicator with yarn or a nymph under it on a fly rod for bows? i don't want to bottom bounce the whole season because i tend to accidentally snag a good number of the fish i hook into. Just looking for the best rig for higher water (Mac, Neebing) in April. 

TroutHunter
19 hours ago, I❤️Specks said:

Does anyone know a good video/article on how to setup a sight indicator with yarn or a nymph under it on a fly rod for bows? i don't want to bottom bounce the whole season because i tend to accidentally snag a good number of the fish i hook into. Just looking for the best rig for higher water (Mac, Neebing) in April. 

I use the Thill brand indicators.  I toss out the wooden stopper that comes with and use a rubber band.  I cut a rubber band into small pieces (2" or so) and tie a piece of mono to it.  I then thread the mono through the indicator pulling the rubber band through.  Snip off the mono leaving a 1/4" piece of rubber band on either end (should have 2 tails of rubber at either end of the indicator). This allows you to quickly adjust the position of the indicator if you're running your fly too deep/shallow....   I can run this indicator with slinky rigs and weighted flys in the Mac with no issues (as long as your depth is set right).  Hope this helps!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Clewis
On 1/13/2017 at 5:09 PM, TroutHunter said:

I use the Thill brand indicators.  I toss out the wooden stopper that comes with and use a rubber band.  I cut a rubber band into small pieces (2" or so) and tie a piece of mono to it.  I then thread the mono through the indicator pulling the rubber band through.  Snip off the mono leaving a 1/4" piece of rubber band on either end (should have 2 tails of rubber at either end of the indicator). This allows you to quickly adjust the position of the indicator if you're running your fly too deep/shallow....   I can run this indicator with slinky rigs and weighted flys in the Mac with no issues (as long as your depth is set right).  Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip!