• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gone8to1248

Playing with my Christmas Present

Gone8to1248

I bought myself a new wood lathe for Christmas and have it set up and started working with it. I started with this.................................................

DSCN1387.JPG

Gone8to1248

nd from that block of wood I got this............................

DSCN1388.JPG

Gone8to1248

Moving on from that point I came up with this................................................

DSCN1390.JPG

Gone8to1248

Next up this was turned out of that Block of wood which is Zebra wood by the way, is this.........................................

DSCN1395.JPG

Gone8to1248

After it is all done we wind up with this.............................. On a MHX 7' Medium / Fast Spinning Rod Blank

DSCN1396.JPG

• Like 3

RLK

Nice job Bernie. Looks like a fun toy.

DJL66

Looks great Bernie!! Very nice job. How does the weight of the wood handle compare with cork? 

Gone8to1248

A lot of the soft wood that I use is as light as cork or balsa wood. I have some acrylic bars that I use for making the winding checks that go in front of the wood grips that I may try to make a complete set of handles out of. It also is extremely light weight. Many of the rods I make can either be used for fishing or hung on the wall for decoration even though they are completely functional rods.   I have some ideas on other things I would like to use for making handles and different finishes I want to try including marbling.   

• Like 1

WalleyeWayne

Nice work Bernie!

Snowball

Excellent Work ! You are a Great Craftsman/Artist.

Gone8to1248

Time permitting I have been known to make rods for people. A lot depends on what they are looking for.

BirchPoint2014

I'm still waiting for my walleye rod Bernie lol

Terry

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON

rodbuilder2014

Nice work Bernie.  Did you use a mandrel to put that piece of wood on to turn it?

Gone8to1248

Started on another handle set and this time using Marble wood that is harder and denser than the last wood I used. I'm thinking about making either a 3 or 4 piece set for a split grip setup. That will go on a St. Croix SClV 6'3" ML / XF Vertical Jigging rod. This rod when bought from St. Croix comes with Alconite Guides, but on this rod I'll upgrade them to SIC guides which are much harder and last longer when using Braided Lines. They are also 2 1/2 times the price. The difference between a 3 piece and a 4 piece handle set is the 4th piece goes between the 2 parts that make up the real seat. As it goes along we will just have to see what I wind up with. The 1st picture is the original block of wood I started with and the 2nd picture is where it's turned down to already. I'll post more pictures as the rod progresses.

DSCN1398.JPG

DSCN1397.JPG