• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Ice fishing tips, tricks and tactics

Bobber Down

Got an ice fishing tip, trick or tactic to share? Could be anything from jigs to shacks and everything in between.

When I'm on ice, which is pretty rare these days, I always use crampons like in the pic. Same style but mine are black. Never had a slip n fall with them on shoes or boots.

cramp.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Some Old Guy

When fish are not aggressive try trimming the tail of your minnow with scissors. Minnow still goes nuts but can't really go anywhere. 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

arvey

You probably already know this one , try hooking your minnow upside down it will fight to right itself.

thought i'd add a few other hints. Today everybody has a color flasher , but if you don't here's something that may help. Estimating how far off the bottom or were you are in the water column can be trying. I put on a bobber stop then I take a heavy sinker put it on my hook lower it into the water let it hit bottom , bring it up a couple of turns then I set my stop at the rod tip that way every time you reel up and let out your bait is at the same depth especially good ounce you're on fish. Great with kids makes things a lot easier. In the old days we didn't have buddie heaters so we took a tobacco can put a role of toilet paper soak it with methal hydrate until it can't take anymore once lit this will burn for hrs I've even cooked sausages over this the flame is blue and clean.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Drill ice holes on an 45 deg angle so you can cast further.👍

• Like 4

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Bobber Down

Remember that "Key's" don't float

• Like 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

naden

For those who still use set lines with sticks, what have you found to be the best way to attach the line to the end of the stick 

TroutHunter
1 hour ago, naden said:

For those who still use set lines with sticks, what have you found to be the best way to attach the line to the end of the stick 

Depends on what species of fish... For finicky brookies, i'll find a nice whippy dogwood branch with a Y near the top... I'll sit the line in the Y and strap a bell to the end... for bigger fish I'll make a slip loop and drape it over the end of the stick.  Small piece of flagging tape on the line works well for a visual reference if your bait has been taken 

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

arvey

I don't use a stick anymore , but here's a couple of ideas. I use to use a slip type knot on the end of a stick maybe 3 ft. long with a small end the fish would hit the stick would bend and the line would slide off of coarse you had orange flag tape on it. I 've seen an elastic used in the same way tie the elastic to your line then drape it over your stick , fish pulls on it elastic slides off. A reel good one I saw used is a willow 4 ft long or so real small end attach your line to it but not so it will slip fish hits stick bends like a rod gives to plenty of time to react , the one thing about this method is when you get a breeze that stick bounces ever so lightly.

RatherBeFishin

I just tie my flagging tape in a knot around my line. Poke a hole in it and put flagging tape on the stick. Keeps my lure at the right depth and line and tape just slide off ! 

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

If you use a flasher or fish finder with a transducer, drill a second hole right beside the hole you are fishing. This way you don't have to yank the transducer out of the hole each time you're trying to land a fish.

Roger

• Like 1

Sauron

Always put on your blade guard on your auger when you are finished drilling your holes. Prevent a simple accident. My buddies dog cut himself pretty bad today. 

• Like 2

fisherdude

Yeah my buddy almost cut his hand in half one time trying to clear snow/ice off the blade(like an idiot). As soon as it happened he looked at his glove and thought t was just his glove until I said to take it off and see how bad... very scary when your on the far end of a lake plus a really far walk through deep snow in really cold weather. ALWAYS PUT THE COVER ON. It also prevents build up with leads to bigger problems.

btw I hope your buddy's dogs ok, that's not something I'd wanna ever see.

speckmaster

After drilling last hole i always drill a hole just down far enough that the auger will stay upright.  Keeps ice of blades among other things

eyelander

I do the same as speckmaster with hand and power augers. Rarely have an issue with blade icing.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

Personally I don't drill a half hole to place my auger in. I have one of those tubes. Way better than just a cap.

A few times I have seen them freeze in the hole. Not one of them survived the attempt to pull them out. Ask Stud Muffin. Not his auger but we saw it happen.

Roger

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Oh ya . Fun times. ...Ya don't drill an auger hole stand. If it floods and freezes. It won't come out in one piece...True story

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

eyelander

Yes I have seen that happen once years ago and make sure I check my augers regularly during the day to make sure it does not happen with my equipment.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

Best tip ever.................. CHECK THE THICKNESS OF THE ICE!!!!!!

lactruck.jpg

whitefishtruck.jpg

• Like 1

speckmaster

I can see it freezing but i drill lots of holes throughout the morning and mine doesn't have time to freeze. Good  thing to keep in mind though ...that's why these are tips!!

naden

I had an auger throttle cable freeze solid once and we remedied it by wrapping an adhesive hot hands foot warmer around it, handy thing to have with you. 

• Like 2

gsambray

When with a dog on the lake remove hooks as soon as they come out of the water. This tip may save you $400 in vet bills. Figured this one out the hard way. But at least I can say I hooked a 55lber on whitefish lake 

• Like 2

Retriever

Like others I tie the flagging tape to the fishing line. I then add a bobby pin to the twig and insert the flagging tape into the bobby pin. Easy to set sensitivity by positioning the tape and if necessary fold the tape for heavier weights. 

• Like 1

pbear

When using sticks for fishing, I make a loop out of the line then take a 3" piece of electrical tape and fold it over. Then you can either tighten the loop by pulling one of the ends so it will stay on a flexible stick and you can see the fish biting or leave the loop open so it falls off when the fish bites and the fish can swim down without resistance.  The trick is to position your stick so the wind does not catch the electrical tape and blow it off.  I'm not sure if this description makes any sense. 

Bobber Down

Try to carry a change of clothes, a towel, and a blanket in your vehicle or sled and if your walking in a backpack. You may not be wet and in danger but may just save someone else who is and needs your help.

ottoman82
On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Roger Mayer said:

If you use a flasher or fish finder with a transducer, drill a second hole right beside the hole you are fishing. This way you don't have to yank the transducer out of the hole each time you're trying to land a fish.

Roger

If you're fishing in a shelter or on a good bite, drill 3 holes in close proximity and you can keep an eye on your set line and what your jigging.