• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BuckNut

Logging road radios

BuckNut

I've been wondering about getting a radio to know what is happening with the truck traffic on bush roads. Do any of you have one and how do they work ? It's obviously something that could save a life, especially on a narrow winding road like Athelstane. Also where do you get one and what is the cost ? 

tracker

I travel the Boreal lots so I use one. You can purchase from Lakehead Communications or call Radio World in Toronto where I purchased mine. Just remember that there are 3 haul channels (I think) so your options are to buy one that has to be programmed at the selling dealer or buy one you can adjust the frequencies yourself. 

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

nwoFisherman

I bought a Motorola from CRC Communications and had them program it with all the haul frequencies, mine was new and around $500 i think. But you can get used ones from them that are a different brand for a lot less that work just as good. They just didn't have any used ones when I bought mine.

eddylives

If your in no rush keep an eye on kijiji.......they show up there from time to time.

• Like 1

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Bobber Down
14 hours ago, eddylives said:

If your in no rush keep an eye on kijiji.......they show up there from time to time.

x2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

BuckNut

Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a used unit with the right channels so am good to go.

nwoFisherman

Right on, did you buy it privately? Or from CRC? Or other radio shop? I'm looking for another used one now too for my other truck.

BuckNut

Bought it privately, from a member of this site that saw my post. I was at CRC last week and they had no used ones at that time.

robbo

Digging this topic back up cause nobody actually posted which channels are used around T. Bay area?  Commonly, 5,6,7 I think but it would be nice to know for sure so I'm not running blind up the hauling roads.  It's nice when an operation posts which channel to monitor at the start of a road but doesn't always happen.  Safe driving still has to trump everything but does anyone have a definite guide to hauling channels or at least where to find out?  I know drivers don't want to meet me on a hill or corner just as much as I don't want to meet them.  Thanks for posting if you know.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

Adrian

Most of the roads have a sign stating what channel to monitor

DLC

What type of radios are these; FRS/GMRS, CB, VHF?

Daryl

BuckNut

They are VHF/UHF . and the channels used here are 5,6 and 7 (which the radio has to be programmed for) . If the channel isn't posted you can set the radio to scan and try to sort out the right channel, but if they are hauling they usually post it. 

Hunter

Some company's use a private channel that you can't get with out their consent.

Superiormobile

You will be good with 4,5,6,7. These are the so called public channels that they use on bush roads.If the logging companys are using there own channels, most of them will have it on scan to monitor 4,5,6 and 7. They will notify other trucks that you would be coming in or out.

1 150.290 The districts of Thunder Bay and Sudbury; part of the District of Algoma, south of the CN Rail line.
2 159.270 East of Nipigon, north of Wawa, Chapleau, Watershed and west of Matheson and Elk Lake.
3 163.980 The districts of Cochrane, Algoma, Sudbury, Timiskaming, Nipissing, Manitoulin and Parry Sound; part of the District of Kenora, north of Red Lake; Highway 17 extending east to Pembroke, north of Highway 60 and all of Algonquin Park.
4 165.180 The districts of Kenora, Thunder Bay and west of Wawa and Hearst, except 50 km radius of Red Lake.
5 170.250 Sudbury, South on Highway 69 to Parry Sound; Sudbury, east on Highway 17 to Pembroke; north of Highway 60, all of Algonquin Park and north of Highway 141.
6 170.310 The districts of Kenora, Rainy River and Thunder Bay.
7 171.000 The districts of Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay and west of Highway 129, Chapleau and Hearst.
8 172.065 The districts of Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay, Algoma and Cochrane; part of the District of Sudbury, north of Cartier and Capreol, except the 50 km radius of Red Lake.

If you are heading in the bush around Dryden and Ear Falls Domtar uses Channel 9,88.99. 88 or 99 is the same frequency as channel six. I cant remeber which on it is. Most roads are ussually posted if someone hasent shot them up.