• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Clewis

Winter Fly Fishing

Clewis

I'm desperate to get out to some open water with this warm water, anyone have any recommendations on spots that might actually produce something this time of the year? i heard to wolf was open but I have doubt on hooking anything there with previous experiences in winter getting skunked.

TroutHunter

I drove to nipigon last weekend and there was a bit of open water on the wolf up near the weir... Black sturg had a bit of open water upstream as well...  I suppose it could be fishable but be careful.   Last winter i took a drive out to silver islet and was fly fishing the big lake in feb.  It was a short trip as I wasn't exactly prepared haha... Numb fingers and iced up guides beat me up that day! I would guess the weather we've been having lately wouldnt freeze up the guides as bad as last year.  you never know, might hook into some chrome out there... From what I hear, silver islet does not freeze over often.

Good luck! 

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Clewis

Thanks for the tips! i'll let you know if i end up heading that direction.