• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

RatherBeFishin

Calf Hunt

Scojik

I think we would benefit more from a wolf Cull more then anything.  Would ease up the pressure a lot in my opinion.  

arvey

It could be the first step in ending the moose hunt completely , antis are already pushing for it and they will use this against us. once you lose it try and get it back . 

BuckNut

Arvey's right in that once something is taken away it may not come back. They would also not be going after the main problem. It's the growing bear and wolf population that are killing calves before they can make it to summer, let alone fall. Put wolves back on as part of the small game license and give outfitters as many bear hunters that they want.

RatherBeFishin

The first step in loosing the moose hunt was dropping the tags 80% 

If im not mistaken somewhere close to here in ontario has only 1 tag available for that district. The reason being if they get rid of all the tags then u will never get it back. I dont see it as a bad thing i see it as preserving a population in harm. We only have a two week season as it is. And in 2017 they did talk about putting wolf under small game. Which is a step in the right direction. Spring bear is back which i know u still can only shoot the same amount of bears as u could with a fall hunt. But that also gives more oppurtunity to get a bear. And a calf in the fall is way less susceptable to wolves and bears as a calf in the spring, most calves that are killed by wolf or bear are in there first months of life. I think it seems like they are trying to rebound it at least. I agree fully about wolves and bears. But it does seem as though they are attempting to get more of a population back. I would rather see reductions and such put in place in small steps to get a rebound then say no dont cancel calf season and then 3 years from now rant and rave as to y we cant hunt moose at all anymore. I have a little guy who i would love to take moose hunting in the futre ! 

Just my thoughts. 

Thefishleclair

Ethics play a big part, There are many hunters out there still shooting cows that have calves with them instead of looking for a solo cow. I hear about it all the time, Most common thinking is, "We will come back and hunt the calf when the season opens" I think cow moose with calves should fall under the same rules as a Sow with cubs! Off limits. I know personaly I would not squeeze the trigger on a cow with a calf and I try to convince others of the same rule.

• Like 2

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

naden

Just read in the chronicle that the MNRF has cancelled some of the Moose aerial surveys this winter. 

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/news/local/eyes-in-the-sky-reduced-for-moose/article_ed6a4990-eb63-11e6-9589-d346fd6b7f4f.html

naden

I also saw an MNRF job add today for a drone pilot to conduct aerial searches, enforcement missions, aerial wildlife surveys and photography. 

RatherBeFishin

I need that job !!!! The week before the season opens 🤣

Spectre

I think that cutting back cow tags would help more than cutting back on bulls as one bull can get with many cows to reproduce.  Also I would like to see the numbers on calves shot since the shortened season from when it was a full season.  I know last year for most of the season we were letting cows with calves go, but at the end of the season the calves are quite big and even get kinda hard to tell from the yearlings.   So if you shoot a cow say in December they have to have a much better chance of survival, especially since the moose are starting to group up more once they are going to their winter spots...

arvey

In the spring bears kill more calves than wolves for a short period of time , wolf ratio is higher all year round. With that being said cows that mate early say late September have their calf early in the spring and have a better chance of surviving the spring bear . Cows that mate later in the season have their calves later in the spring and those calves are more app to be killed. Come the next hunting and the cow gets harvested her calf that was born early has a very good chance of making it . Like Spectre said at the end of the season it can be hard to tell. So being born a month or more early can make quite the in size and maturity difference .

My opinion no calf tags for groups who have bull tags , no party hunting , I've said this before your group decides to apply as singles so you get 4 tags out of 7 and you all still hunt together that's not helping . You may have to cut the number of cow tags or you could look at 1 calf tag per group, cow or bull. If you apply as a single and are not successful no calf tag , it's a lottery guys you either win or lose. Hunter greed is just as much to blame for this as anything , remember the days when you had enough meat for your group and you didn't want to waste that 50 bucks so you had to fill that last 1 I've done it you done it we've all done it. There's probably a lot of ways you change things but cancelling is not one of them .  I think it will take time before you see results of the changes that have been made it won't happen over night.

Smokey

I would love to see a total ban on calf hunting as I have seen how letting the calves lives improves the number. In the area I deer hunt (57) they put a calf tag draw in a few years back and now I'm seeing more moose then in the last 20 yrs in the area. So I'm a believer in that helping them mature to adulthood and then the population will increase although it takes time. There would be some grumbling but that's life and definitely better than a complete moose hunting ban.

arvey

Unless all parties involved including the Indigenous and come up with a solution , your like the little boy and the dike running around putting your finger in the dike to stop the leak.

Smokey

Agreed but we have to remember one issue(moose populations and control) is a provincial rule and the other(who is hunting them freely) is under federal rules so its tough for the province to make sweeping changes and they have there hands tied.

arvey

I agree that's why a negotiation with them is essential to help solve the decline.