• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Arificial Lures for Lake Trout.

RatherBeFishin

Unreal info roger !! Great read. Deffinitly gonna rember and try this out !! I definitly dont have to many issues catching trout. But any advice is always appreciated and good to up my game !! I just read an article and i believe it was in the january issue of ontario out of doors. It talked about instead off hooking a spoon on the end drill holes in the side of it and use it sideways. They said it helps with action and also looks more like a baitfish which would sit sideways in the water instead of vertical. Which makes perfect sense. So i started altering some lures. I am excited to try that tactic out also. I think it was ontario out of doors and no on here. Lol !! Going walleye fishing tommorow and damnit now i wish i was going for lakers to try out some of theese tricks ! Next weekend i suppose :)

• Like 1

ottoman82

Thanks for all the great info Roger.  I am new to fishing for lakers and now I am even more excited to get out there and apply some of your tactics.  Cheers

Some Old Guy

Here is another analogy,

How many people down rigging for lake trout drag their lures 1-2 feet off bottom? Usually they set them well off the bottom and more mid way up!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

RatherBeFishin

And if u are dragging bottom while downrigging make sure to keep side cutters on board !!! 😮 A hung up cannonball on steel cable gots no forgivness !!! 

arvey

This can also work for other species as well , I watched a Linder video , I think it was on bass and they mentioned that many anglers fish below the fish .

eyelander

I have caught many lake trout in the 3 feet just below the ice. When jigging I drop the lure down 3 ft. and jig there for a bit. If nothing, then I drop it to bottom and slowly work my way up stopping every 10-15 ft to jig for a bit.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Zackcorbin1401

I'm heading out tomorrow for the mighty lake trout.I have so many techniques to try out can't wait to see how I do.

Red_Nuck

Thanks for the awesome info Roger, and everyone else that added their info. I'm guessing you'd say all this applies to splake and specks as well?

Some Old Guy

No......  Specks and splake are a different ball game altogether.

Roger

Fred

You put much thought into catching a fish. Don't you enjoy the other aspects of fishing? Scenery fresh air or anything?

levi64

Some very good info.

gsambray

Well I'm going Saturday and guess I'm heading to dnr Friday at lunch to add to my collection. I've always used a jig and a sucker on my still line and a white tube jig on my jogging rod. I usually tip the tube with a sucker minnow unless the bite is aggressive then I don't bother with the sucker. I normally work from deeper water to shallow and my biggest laker so far which is just shy of 11 pounds came from 9 feet of water and crushed my tube as soon as it dropped below the ice. Seeing that big head and my tube disappearing with an open bale was awesome even though I tried to set the hook without closing it. What a mess of line that was but in the end I won. Good read an lots of info!

Some Old Guy

Yep. I enjoy the scenery on the drive out and the fresh air is constantly flowing through the nostrils!

what I really enjoy is trying to entice a bite on an artificial lure. Fish can be triggered into biting. My goal isn't a limit and not worried if I lose a fish. If I have a split second hook up that means I did it all correctly. Except land the fish! Haha. 

Roger 

gsambray

Picked up a Hopkins spoon today and it's shoved in a tube ready to go. I also grabbed a buzz bomb too. Never used a buzz bomb but figured why not try it. Let's see how the lakers like it tomorrow

Some Old Guy

A few people have come up to me and asked me if I tip my artificials with a minnow or minnow head.

No, I don't.

Here is why,

I jig the upper column of water. This is where aggressive trout on the hunt are. It doesn't take live bait to get them to pounce on the lure. If I put and piece of bait on my lure it will mess up the action of the lure or prevent my lure to sink the way I want it to.

The other reason I don't use live bait is to prevent the lure from being swallowed and injuring the fish.

Yes I get it when there are days that live bait might out perform artificials for lake trout but not that often.

In the summer time...... Who uses live bait for lake trout?

Roger

Some Old Guy

Check out the photo gallery. The lake trout I just uploaded, I saw it smash my jig 3 feet below the ice as I was looking down the hole. 

This fish snapped me off and I had to re tie. Got my lure back too!!

Never ignore the lights up high!!

Roger

MILLER
15 hours ago, Roger Mayer said:

Check out the photo gallery. The lake trout I just uploaded, I saw it smash my jig 3 feet below the ice as I was looking down the hole. 

This fish snapped me off and I had to re tie. Got my lure back too!!

Never ignore the lights up high!!

Roger

Roger, you're right, the big one's are just below the hole.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

Some Old Guy

Sure seems like they are Miller. 

I have a theory on why. 

Lake trout will stun bait fish such as ciscos and whitefish. These will float when stunned. I think the bigger trout are targeting the stunned baitfish that are floating to the surface. 

Roger

MILLER

In conclusion, it appears that you only have to put your line down the hole a little, to get the biggest results. There's definitely some correlation here.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

Wolf
On 2017-02-25 at 7:58 AM, Roger Mayer said:

A few people have come up to me and asked me if I tip my artificials with a minnow or minnow head.

No, I don't.

Here is why,

I jig the upper column of water. This is where aggressive trout on the hunt are. It doesn't take live bait to get them to pounce on the lure. If I put and piece of bait on my lure it will mess up the action of the lure or prevent my lure to sink the way I want it to.

The other reason I don't use live bait is to prevent the lure from being swallowed and injuring the fish.

Yes I get it when there are days that live bait might out perform artificials for lake trout but not that often.

In the summer time...... Who uses live bait for lake trout?

Roger

Do you tip your spoons with anything? By artificial I assume plastics. I Have a few slender spoons I want to try, not sure if I should tip them or not. Never fished for lake trout much. I like the tube idea. Thanks wolf

Some Old Guy

No I don't.

Try a Thin Fisher spoon. These work really well.

There are a few left at D & R.

thinfisher.jpg