• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RatherBeFishin

Moose and Climate Change

grimcity.kid

LOL whoever wrote that article clearly does not know the current standing on polar bears.  Churchill's population is on the dive but almost every other region is reporting more bears than ever before.  The science on them is skewed because Churchill is the most reputable and accessible place to see them.
Moose on the other hand...well maybe scientist should have been focusing on them earlier than the last few years considering the economic impact they have in several provinces whether from residents or tourists.  Id personally like to see a bull only hunt instated in Ontario until we see the population start to rebound and become the "nuisance" it once was.  The changing climate I do not believe to be a real factor at this point.  Look at Algonquin Park, they're more common than squirrels down there and they do not have a harsh winter at all (I used to live in the region and have First Nations family members who still take a few each year).

scandiman
On 2017-02-26 at 10:53 PM, grimcity.kid said:

LOL whoever wrote that article clearly does not know the current standing on polar bears.  Churchill's population is on the dive but almost every other region is reporting more bears than ever before.  The science on them is skewed because Churchill is the most reputable and accessible place to see them.
Moose on the other hand...well maybe scientist should have been focusing on them earlier than the last few years considering the economic impact they have in several provinces whether from residents or tourists.  Id personally like to see a bull only hunt instated in Ontario until we see the population start to rebound and become the "nuisance" it once was.  The changing climate I do not believe to be a real factor at this point.  Look at Algonquin Park, they're more common than squirrels down there and they do not have a harsh winter at all (I used to live in the region and have First Nations family members who still take a few each year).

While the moose are "more common than squirrels" down in Algonquin, the climate has always been less harsh and therefore the moose have adjusted to this over time.

However, up here (and especially in the far north), the warming climate trends are felt by wildlife ten fold. Factors such as ticks (which are controlled by freezing cold winters) are becoming an increasing problem for moose in the north, in that the moose can become so infested by the ticks that they lose their healthy coat which allows them the insulation factor to survive winter. 

I will agree on the bulls only hunt tho, and add that the rack should be a defined size in order to harvest the animal.

It's insane that the MNR allows so many cow tags to be issued, and as a bow hunter, I am not afforded the opportunity to get a bull tag unless I have 10 guys in my group nor shoot a calf over taking a cow.

dano
54 minutes ago, scandiman said:

While the moose are "more common than squirrels" down in Algonquin, the climate has always been less harsh and therefore the moose have adjusted to this over time.

However, up here (and especially in the far north), the warming climate trends are felt by wildlife ten fold. Factors such as ticks (which are controlled by freezing cold winters) are becoming an increasing problem for moose in the north, in that the moose can become so infested by the ticks that they lose their healthy coat which allows them the insulation factor to survive winter. 

I will agree on the bulls only hunt tho, and add that the rack should be a defined size in order to harvest the animal.

It's insane that the MNR allows so many cow tags to be issued, and as a bow hunter, I am not afforded the opportunity to get a bull tag unless I have 10 guys in my group nor shoot a calf over taking a cow.

That's just what we don't need, is antler restrictions. Another rule that would cause a lot of moose to get left to rot.

scandiman
6 minutes ago, dano said:

That's just what we don't need, is antler restrictions. Another rule that would cause a lot of moose to get left to rot.

Is that a proven fact? Have you called up the BC resource management department to inquire about meat spoilage? Cause they have those kind of regs in place over there and I'd be willing to bet that it's not an issue in their province.

I guarantee that the majority of hunters these days don't have hunt for food to live. Its a choice, not a necessity, therefore if a hunter can't pass up an animal that may or may not be in the rack size required, then maybe that person shouldn't be hunting at all. Food for thought.

• Like 1