• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bwkre

And then came the tax man!

bwkre

2009, got a boat, not bought a boat but got a boat. It was given to me by a neighbour. I think I was doing him a favour by taking it. 1975 Princess Craft, 14' deep. Missing complete middle bench seat, wood in transom rotten, front and back plywood seats missing and lots of damaged rivets. Not sea worthy at the time, but with some newly fabricated bench supports, plywood, paint and replacement rivets it eventually all came together and I had myself a decent little boat. Spent 5 years using a 9.9hp borrowed motor, and all was good. Even caught some fish!

Fast forward to 2014. I decide to register the boat with Transport Canada. I don't have a bill of sale, it was free. The guy I got it from has since moved. I'm not sure if it was previously registered. So I compose a declaration, stating what I do and don't know,  take it to a lawyer and have it notarized. I submit my application to Transport Canada and 4 weeks later I have a license. Why you might ask? Well I thought about using a bigger motor, you need have a license for any craft with a motor bigger than 10hp. Also in the event of an incident it makes information regarding the boat / owner accessible to searchers. And the license is free! Good idea.

Fast forward to 2017, almost 3 years to the day. The Minister of Revenue now wants to know if I paid tax on the purchase of the boat. Another example of Federal / Provincial sharing of information. Provide a receipt of being paid through a retailer or provide a receipt from the private seller and submit the tax with the provided form.

What if I purchased the boat in 1980 from a dealer and decided to register it now. Registration is not always required. I certainly wouldn't still have the invoice. I doubt most people would.

So I took a copy of my declaration, added a note with it and put it in the envelope with the remittance form. The declaration states the condition of the boat at that time and that I did not pay any money or property for the boat (along with several other facts).

So I guess I wait and see what comes of it. I understand that the receipt price or the "Red Book" value is used, which ever is higher. SO what's the value of a 35 year old boat that isn't sea worthy. It's weight as scrap? Should be interesting!

RH.

Should have just got ahold of the guy who gave you the boat and asked him to write you a receipt for 1$ and just pay the 13 cents in tax and be done with it

Jack Fish

I went trough this a number of years ago. Stick to your story,  make THEM prove you wrong.

bwkre
27 minutes ago, reilly harris said:

Should have just got ahold of the guy who gave you the boat and asked him to write you a receipt for 1$ and just pay the 13 cents in tax and be done with it

We were over the fence neighbours. He's gone and I couldn't tell you his last name.

I was just trying to play by the rules, being honest about how I acquired the boat. For all I knew, when I applied to Transport Canada, the serial number could have come back as stolen. I'm sure I would have lost the boat then. Maybe even faced possible theft charges.

naden

I was wondering about this as well as I registered my boat last may. I havnt received a letter yet. I've read on a few forums that boat owners ignored the letter requesting tax be paid and nothing ever came of it. Other people have suggested that when you buy a boat motor and trailer to get a separate receipt for the hull only, that way you dont pay tax on the motor or other accessories. 

Jack Fish

On a private sale,only the boat and trailer ,which need to be registered, are taxed.

bwkre
8 minutes ago, Jack Fish said:

On a private sale,only the boat and trailer ,which need to be registered, are taxed.

The trailer yes but a pleasure craft only needs to be licensed if it has a motor greater than 10hp. I've heard that on a private sale you are supposed to go to Service Ontario and pay the tax on the boat purchase.

Jack Fish

you're right in regards to registration requirement for boats with motors  'greater than 10 HP'