• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mcmillin

Getting rid of rats

mcmillin

My parents have some rats in their yard and im having trouble getting rid of em. They have a dog so i dont think poison is a good ideas and tried some glue traps only to get a couple small birds stuck in them. Parents will be back from down south soon so any tips would be appreciated

WIGGLEY BAITS

try the pail with the can trick...

wiggley1.jpg

RH.

Get a big bucket, fill it half way with water, rub peanut butter or something around the inside of the bucket and lean a couple pieces of wood on the bucket so the rats can climb up and fall into the water and drown 

Some Old Guy

Rats are a little different than mice. The pail trick will work on mice but rats........ not really.

Rats need three things. Food, a home and a mate. Get rid of just one of these will drop your population.

So, first off. Clean up your yard. If it's not your yard, then possibly a neighbour needs to clean theirs. Get rid of their food source. Do you live near a garbage shed, restaurant that has a grease bin? Or something like that?

Try to locate their denning area. Try to seal it off as best as you can. This is a really tough go though as rats are very persistant. Next is to try and trap/kill them. You can try a store bought squirrel trap. The cage kind needs to be fully wrapped in cardboard except for the opening. And not interfere with the moving parts of the trap. To bait it, but a blob of peanut butter on a square piece of cardboard and place it past the foot pedal trip. Don't put the peanut butter of the pedal! The rat will just lick the bait off without steeping on the trip.

You can also try rat snap traps but you'll kill other animals doing that if they are set outside. Use rat snap traps inside. (Garbage shed, garbage box, garage etc,)

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bobber Down

Almost impossible to eliminate rats in an outside environment. Too many variables with neighbours, sheds, wood piles, bush etc. Too many mothers giving birth and within months the young ready to mate. Rats have been here a long long time and are here for the long haul.

The best method to kill rats in an urban setting is the snap trap but like Roger said you will also catch and/or injure other critters in the process. Squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, kittens may be killed. Pic is a skunk with nose cut off be a snap trap. The other is one of many I caught in my shed. You could use cardboard boxes with a 1" opening on both ends and place a snap trap baited with peanut butter in there. Place a heavy brick or piece of wood on top. Should eliminate all by catch save a munk. Cover with plastic in case of rain and place around the edges of wood piles buildings etc. Live traps are a very slow process to eliminate rats. They are very wary about anything new showing up in their environment. You also only get one catch until you release it and from all accounts I have read the rat will die anyway. Place 15 to 20 snap traps in an area they are in and you will be busy baiting traps for awhile. Always wear gloves and a mask in enclosed spaces. Happy trapping.

skunkc.jpg

IMG_4928.JPG

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

mcmillin

thanks guys. parents are just gonna get someone to get rid of em. didnt realize they were around here. first time seeing one

Thefishleclair

I got some snap traps and boxes that should work. Going to set a few in my yard to see if they are around. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB