• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scojik

A Gentle Reminder.

Scojik

Today with the warm temperatures it was nice to get into the shed and start cleaning up from the winter and the squirrel that decided to nest in there.  

My yard backs right onto the Neebing river so when I decided to take a little break, I headed to my fence to lose myself just watching the water flow.  I'm sure almost everyone here can appreciate the calming and tranquil effect that the sound of moving water has on the soul especially after winter, it really instills a refreshing sense of energy on oneself.  However my sense of calm was shattered when I got to my fence and looked out onto a mess of Ice, trees and garbage.  

I try to be as much of a conservationist as possible.  I believe through and through that it is important for us to respect our surrounding environment whether that be out in the crown lands or right here in the city.  As a volunteer with Scouts Canada we teach our scouts the principles of "Leave no trace camping".  Now it is hard to follow all those principles given that you will not find a patch of ground in this area that someone has not laid foot on and built a campfire however we all should be mindful of the consequences of our actions.  Yes you did throw your Timmy's cup at the garbage and it fell to the ground, Yes they do have staff go out and clean up from time to time, BUT its really windy that day and your cup just caught a ride down the street 4 blocks and fell into the river.  That's when it was treated to a lovely pleasure cruise down stream all the way out to Lake Superior!  

So I only ask of you the same as I do of my Cub Scouts;  Do Your Best!  remember we are all stewards of the environment to our kids and by making the right choices today we can set an example to follow and protect the fishing and hunting areas that we want our grand kids to enjoy!

PS: Big Picture of white ice with clear plastic bottles all on it is not a good example to use but its the best I could do.

Thank you all for your time to read this.

IMG_20170404_1527347.jpg

• Like 1

RLK

Thanks for the good read.  I work for the Conservation Authority and part of my job is picking up garbage along the floodway. Unfortunately it is never ending. 

Scojik

Well Sir then let me probably be the first to thank you for your efforts to keep our waterways and forests maintained and protected!

If there is anyway I can get involved let me know!

Perhaps you can answer a question for me?  if I wanted to build up the bank of the River, (it is dangerously close to consuming my garage due to erosion), who would I talk to?

RLK
2 hours ago, Scojik said:

Well Sir then let me probably be the first to thank you for your efforts to keep our waterways and forests maintained and protected!

If there is anyway I can get involved let me know!

Perhaps you can answer a question for me?  if I wanted to build up the bank of the River, (it is dangerously close to consuming my garage due to erosion), who would I talk to?

You would have to call the Conservation Authority and they would send someone out to take a look.

oyo

Sometimes, as someone who grew up down south, I feel that a side-effect of having so much wilderness at your doorstep, is a tendency to take it for granted. I'm often surprised to find garbage here in fairly hard to access areas and more so in those within an  hour of town. I felt pretty sad to come across a camp on it own lake somewhere up Camp 45 road, cruising the property along the shoreline, I noticed the owner had literally been throwing out anything that broke down in a giant dump behind the camp, snow machines, tvs, fridges, minor crap, general crap, from like a 60 year period. Come on now :(.

I've fished at the marina once near that little lagoon by the creek outlet, felt like I was going to get herpes from just looking at the water.