• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Tailout

The problem with this site.

Tailout

The owner should grow up and worry about the steel head resource and not so much about ad money. These fish are sensitive to angling pressure. By letting everybody know that the steelhead are in the rivers puts way too much pressure on them. Steelhead are a valuable resource that need to be properly handled and released properly. The people I see let them roll around on the ground and injure them. Steelhead can't handle the pressure of this many people angling for them.

RH.

Everyone with a fishing license is well within their rights to fish for them as much as they want and posting on a fishing forum will do nothing to change it

• Like 3

Hurketthunter

Any fish that you plan to release should be handled carefully and released quickly. However trying to blame a website for people knowing fish are in the rivers is ridiculous. People were catching steelhead long before the interweb.

• Like 3

shmanks

It's not steelhead season on thunderbayfishing without someone remaining nameless to come on the forum to complain, try educating anglers who mishandle fish on the river rather than complaining about it here. You do a great job with this forum roger keep it up the good work.

• Like 2

L J B
1 hour ago, Tailout said:

The owner should grow up and worry about the steel head resource and not so much about ad money. These fish are sensitive to angling pressure. By letting everybody know that the steelhead are in the rivers puts way too much pressure on them. Steelhead are a valuable resource that need to be properly handled and released properly. The people I see let them roll around on the ground and injure them. Steelhead can't handle the pressure of this many people angling for them.

Yes definetely you are correct Tailout. 30 years ago when I was in my youth nobody fished the rivers for steelhead in the spring, most likely because nobody had an idea when the ice had gone out of the rivers. Of course we didn't have websites like this one ruining everything. I'm sure that the people you see letting the steelhead roll around on the ground are all users of social media and more specifically this site! As a matter of fact I'm almost certain that this site is somehow responsible for the decline in moose numbers throughout our region as well. It is a shame that somebody driving the little known road known as the Trans-Canada highway had to tell everyone else that the rivers are thawing this spring.

On a more serious note, I see a lot of younger people fishing on the rivers at this time of year. This may be one of the few opportunities that some people get to fish at all during the year. Aren't we lucky in Thunder Bay to be able to introduce kids to the joys of fishing right within the city limits. The people heading out to further reaches towards the east on the north shore are not waiting for the " ice out " signal on this website. The majority of them would be on the rivers anyway, just like I'm sure you are. 

Incidentaly, although I am an avid hunter and fisherman , I am not a steelhead angler. You don't have to worry about me catching any fish that you hold in such high regard.

• Like 3

dunnhuntin

Everyone with a fishing licence has the same right to fish for steelhead as you do. Anybody can take a drive along the highway to see for themself which rivers are open. Posts about ice out simply help people save gas to check for themselves. Its not a big secret that spring is here and rivers tend to open up after a few weeks of warm weather. Nobody has posted the location of some secret fishing hole, only that rivers are open.

A simple forum post about the location of open water has no effect on how an individual chooses to handle a fish. If you see someone handling a fish poorly, by all means help them to learn the right way. I know when I started fishing I was glad to receive some advice from a more experienced angler. There is no need to try and shame anyone for trying to help people get out and fish.

Tailout

It is not facebook or anything else I hear about. I heard about this site on Wednesday night. The were calling it tbf and I had to ask what they were talking about and it was this site. So I checked it out and it is this site causing the mess. The one with the title steelhead a running has over 3000 views and you tell me which river or combination of rivers can handle that many people on them. That's crazy. Not to mention the crowds to the rivers this site causes it's all the garbage left behind. You can trace it all back to this site. This site does more harm to a fishery than anything else I have ever seen. It points out that the steelhead are running but where does it mention proper care, cleaning up after yourself and respect to other anglers. It mentions nothing so this makes me think its all a money grab for ad dollars. Its all bullshit.

oyo

Dude, most of the rivers mentioned and being angled hard run right through the middle of a town with a 100 000 people resident to it. Many of them rabid and avid outdoors people. You dont need this site, just drive by the river and you will see guys everywhere in waders IN TOWN, not hard to conclude the rainbows are running.

Go talk to a doctor and get your head checked.

3000 views means it has been clicked on 3000 times, personally I check whenever a comment has been left. 

Dont be a greedy guts, sorry other people are fishing the same river as you. If you head out east past nipigon, you wont see a loving person. Best of luck.

• Like 1

oyo

If you have concerns over how someone is handling a fish, call a CO. People are expected to educate themselves before hunting or fishing, its not our responsibility to baby sit viewers of this site.

Yeesh.

• Like 2

RatherBeFishin

Well here is your chance tailout. If there is 3000 views and this site is so effective. Educate all of us on how to properly handle a fish ! 

pastor norm

Wow. I so disagree with you, Tailout.  But at least you didn't get censored.  I have lived in Michigan, Alberta, BC, and now back in my home town of Thunder Bay.  Both local websites and tackle suppliers in these places have been giving anglers basic information about ice-conditions, river conditions, angler success, and best techniques, including conservation and handling practices. To this day, these same locations have excellent fishing.  From what I gather, you would prefer everything to be secret and managed by select few fisherman who supposedly are more conscientious than the the rest of us.  You also don't seemed to be worried about the conservation of other games fish species, though they all deserve conservation and correct handling.  How hypocritical!

I appreciate Roger's business. Many times fellow anglers have posted reminders of how to conserve and handle fish as well and cleaning up afterwards.  It's everyone's responsibility, not just yours, Tailout.

• Like 1

RatherBeFishin

Also. To add one more thing. I dont believe roger even steelhead fishes. But every year he gathers a group from this site. To go walk rivers with garbage bags and clean them up ! Id say thats worth some praise !! 

• Like 3

arvey

Tailout

Go to youtube and type in steelhead fishing Thunder Bay . You'll be surprised at what you may find. There's pages .

Wopfisher

I go steelhead fishing 4-5 times a week during the run and I don't have a problem with people on the river everyone has the right to be there if your mad cause you can't get your spot on the river then go out earlier don't expect the Mac and needing not to be packed cause there always gonna be there in the middle of the city

Adrian

Hi Tailout.....just so I understand, you obviously know more about fish than the MNR biologists, and therefore believe there is too much pressure on the fish this time of year.  Maybe you should call the MNR and give them hell about letting people fish now instead of downing a website owner.   Get MNR to close the rivers to fishing till later in the summer...they already to that all over this area for pickerel fishing, now there is a novel idea, but I guess they are not as smart as you,  This website offers information about just about every outdoor activity you can name, and a lot of people in this part of the world look to this site for that information.  It includes ice conditions....maybe that should be scrapped too because it keeps  too many people on safe ice..and they can catch too many "eyes" and perch, it includes great discussions on trolling motor batteries, but wait, lets not do that, because if you end up with the best battery, you can fish longer and get more fish...it talks about the best winter tires for your truck....wait.hold on...don't do that because if you don't get stuck in the snow, you will be out and catch too many fish that day.  Tailout, I think you should feel free to use this website as it was intended, to provide information about the great outdoors in this great area we live in for those who want the information.  By the way, did you see 3000 people fishing the river???  

• Like 1

Gone8to1248

The gig is up Roger !!  I told you that all those off shore accounts that you have will eventually catch up with you. !!  You pay me 1/2 of what is in those accounts and I promise not to post those pictures of you treble hook snagging all those steel-head and then using them to practice your Javelin throwing.  :ph34r::o

The Stalker

P.S. Will contact you later to tell you where to place the money in a brown paper bag. I want it in coins and no 2 alike!!

• Like 3

Adrian

Not me Roger, I don't want cash...I want gas gift cards.....

• Like 1

Canucker

What!! the steel head are running?  Can someone please PM me with the name of the river,  directions to their favorite fishing hole, what they are hitting on, some good brine recipes and anything else that will help my outing.  Thanks TBF!

Tailout

I spoke with a couple of buddies and one of them is pretty high up in the fishing community. They said they don't use this site because of all the crap people stir up on it. I totally see why. You cant compare steelhead to any other fish. Steelhead are in trouble. Look at the restrictions in town for size. Look at the mess Black Bay is in because of walleye and perch. Should be opening up the season in there to clean them out. This area has turned into S. Ontario Rivers. People all over the place. I don't care if the owner of this site goes and cleans up garbage. Probably cleaning up his own garbage which is what everyone should do. Doesn't make you special. I do call the mnr when I see something illegal. And the stupid Benny Hill picture just makes you look like an idiot.

Some Old Guy

Interesting observations. I'll try to answer each one.

I spoke with a couple of buddies and one of them is pretty high up in the fishing community. They said they don't use this site because of all the crap people stir up on it. I totally see why.

I dunno... But everything seemed fine here before 10 am this morning...........

You cant compare steelhead to any other fish.

You are correct. I cannot. Unless I compare steelhead to rainbow trout..........

Steelhead are in trouble. Look at the restrictions in town for size. Look at the mess Black Bay is in because of walleye and perch. Should be opening up the season in there to clean them out.

I'm not sure if they are in trouble. The size restriction, as far as I know of was so a fish can spawn a few times before it was kept. I could be wrong though. As for the Black Bay case, shut the whole area down to angling for five years. Let mother nature sort it out. She's been doing a great job since the ummmmmm beginning! Last fish standing wins!

I clean up garbage because I want to. I don't utilize the steelhead fishery at all.

As for the Benny Hill picture.......... Just the fact that you knew who he is totally debunks my thoughts that you were an ignorant, arrogant and egotistical kid. You're not a kid at all!

Roger

• Like 2

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

speckmaster

Don't bother replying anymore. He's just trying to stir everyone up.  Don't put anymore wind in his sails

• Like 2

Croat

Wow,this guy needs to calm down. I`ve fished the Mac since 1974 and Steelhead numbers and size came down in the late 90s but the river spawn is doing a lot better from what ive seen.The biggest problem is low water in the spring because water levels drop fast due to low snow and a lot less rain in the spring.As far as garbage I bring a bag with me cause I see a lot of timmy cups.I`ve seen my share of poachers and usually make sure they know that i know what theyre up to by telling them and carrying my phone with me.My truck has been scratched a few times.When the rivers open up they all have steelhead in them its not rocket science.As for this site its awesome and by the way THANK YOU Roger.

I don't get on that chatty part of this site but had to put in my 2 cents

• Like 2