• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Tailout

The problem with this site.

Lyle Reiner

Youve clearly never seen Southern Ontario rivers...are the fishing forums down there responsible for the massive crowds down there too? You honestly think this site has more effect than Social Media? My newsfeed is 80% steelhead right now, and I dont even fish for them.  

Whats wrong with young kids learning to fish? Im sure you are holier than thou and handle every fish exactly right, never foul hook or deep hooked a fish. Would you rather the kids stay home and not fish, then break into your vehicle when they get bored?  

Why don't you take a few minutes and educate the people who are mishandling fish on proper techniques rather than come online and Arf Arf. 

So before you blame one facet of the information available online for the sole destruction of a fishery, how about doing a little bit of positive action and get with the times! Maybe you should send Mark Zuckerberg an email to let him know how detrimental facebook is to your precious steelhead, see how that goes!

🖕🖕

• Like 1

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

jonut13

I hate to break it to you tailout, when I first started fishing steel 30 years ago there were people snagging then too.  Long before this site they somehow figured out that fish were in the rivers all by themselves.  Like people have already said, take the time to educate the wrong doers and quit painting everyone with the same brush.

• Like 1

Pound 4 Pound

Good one Rather Be Fishing but if they take up knitting they might foul hook themselfs. I don't see any signs of the population of steel going down last year was one of the best runs I've seen in years. Tailout if you don't like or hear what people are doing/saying don't go everyone has a right to fish and thier opinions.

eddylives
46 minutes ago, Tailout said:

Classic response because your defenses are depleted.

No defense required here tailfeathers.....

Your argument is lame at best with zero backing

I would say that your responses are classic depleted cries

Love troll fishing....all catch and release lmfao

• Like 3

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

pastor norm

Seems to me that if anglers can't cooperate in positive ways to protect the fishery, blaming others and resorting unreasonable solutions like censorship and secrecy instead, our only recourse is to let the Government of Ontario close the fishery in all Thunder Bay waters during the spawning cycle. Ultimately, its the Ministry which must decide if the wild stocks are valuable enough and pressured enough to warrant that sort of drastic solution,  I don't fish for steelhead in the spring, so it would be no sweat off my back.  However, I trust the present regulations with their strict limits ensure there will be a healthy return every spring.  On the other hand, there are other reasons to keep a spring steelhead fishery open besides the fun of the fight.  http://mntu.org/north-shore-steelhead-need-your-help/

Snagging and poor handling, including clandestine roe harvesting, have been a nefarious part of the fishing culture since rainbows started appearing in the Lake Superior watershed.  I witnessed it when I was a kid.  I don't think these negative practices have increased proportionally since then.  I would like to think that we have progressed since the days when many considered steelhead as just another meat fishery. 

• Like 1

RatherBeFishin

I also would like to take this time to thank Zimak for starting this post. This is making for some great reading material. Lovin every minute of it 🤣

• Like 1

RatherBeFishin

Just left the mac. Good news. Water levels went up due to all of tailouts tears he has shed 😭😢

• Like 4

gsambray

Great site. Great info and great people. Keep it up roger 

gsambray

Specks open soon to if anyone wants to complain about that lol

• Like 3

JohnZ

Tailout's response when other forum members use common sense in their posts. crying-aby-with-hands-on-head.jpg

j.klister

This happens every year.  I seem to recall there was a guy named Wes Bender who used to be a big steelhead contributor on here who ran away over some dispute about people posting steelhead info and too many people fishing the rivers.

Decided to check up on the guy and lol and behold he has a business selling custom fishing floats!  Earth to Wes:  your business needs customers. More customers means more people fishing the rivers!

mickleburgh2

Hey tailout, what gives you the right to fish for steelhead over everybody else? Just because you didn't check out the site before you went out and fished? Can you honestly tell me that when you were just beginning and learning to fish, you wouldn't have used a resource like this site if it was available? It's not rocket science to drive past a river that runs right through the city and figure out if it's open and if there are fish. We are lucky to live in a place where we can take an hour or two in the middle of our day to head down to a river and try our luck for steelhead. People learn fairly quickly about handling, and there is nothing wrong with offering some friendly advice, but there is no need to come on here and bash the owner of this site. He runs this site on his own time and cares about our fisheries. 

• Like 1

NorthwestHunter

Tailout, this is just a thought...if the preservation of steelhead is your number one goal, shouldn't you be fighting to close the season when they're the most vulnerable? I mean, pretty much every other game fish is protected by a closed season during spawning time - maybe it's time to protect the fragile steelhead as well?  Wouldn't that be the most effective way to protect and preserve them?  That way we can all fish them when they're dispersed in the lake, and not piled up in the rivers.  Just thinking out loud here. 

Since this site is such an effective tool to spread the word about fishing, maybe you can take advantage of that and start a petition to close fishing for steelhead during their most vulnerable time?

Also, leave the walleye and perch in Black Bay alone.  After all, they discovered it first. 

• Like 1

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Trevor Zimak
On 4/16/2017 at 1:22 PM, RatherBeFishin said:

I also would like to take this time to thank Zimak for starting this post. This is making for some great reading material. Lovin every minute of it 🤣

100% bored outta my mind one day in March... The only thing lame on this site was ice fishing talk.... had to get the big spoon out!!! hahahaha 

I have logged on more in the last week than the last 4 months.... lol!

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

Well that answered my question on what does a bass guy do when he can't fish bass. 

Roger

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

McLovesIt

When Zimak can't catch bass he goes SUCKER fishing.... Looks like he caught a big one this time! lol

• Like 2

Bear

Us bass guys go catch boring old walleyes, gotta eat something.

Bear

• Like 1

RH.

I wonder if tailout is the same guy who has that camp on LOFQUIST lake, you know, the lake that produces tons of beautiful brook trout with very easy access and has excellent fishing!!!  

• Like 1

BIG SMOKE

This has to be one of the best threads to date.  Assuming that all of the action down at the rivers is related to TBF is a true testament to how successful your site is Rog!  Congrats!   As for the 55 cars along the river that Zimmer noted (that you are apparently at fault for), an allegation like that could only be backed by seeing TBF bumper stickers on every vehicle!  If that's the case, then great work on your site as well as your advertising skills.  Maybe Tailout should just change their user name to Tapout and grab a rod instead of a keyboard.  

• Like 3

Gills

Everyone has the right to fish and hunt. Yes more pressure on our rivers is hard on the fish, yes more people should practice catch and release, get involved and help our fisheries. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case, so instead of complaining about the site educate these "people" about respecting the fishery. The best thing us anglers can do is pass our ethical standards and respect for the sport we all love to others with less understanding and knowledge. Life's too short to worry about people fishing your spots. When were all 6 feet under your spots will be fished and the fish will be managed for generations to come. Now quite staring at a screen and go wet some lines people!

therealfndeal

Call up chronical journal they advertised smelts are running lol 

Foozer
39 minutes ago, therealfndeal said:

Call up chronical journal they advertised smelts are running lol 

How would they ever know.

Must've checked TBayFishing.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Grounds Keeper Willie

Everyone knows that steelhead are in the local rivers this time of year. This site does not change anything. I do however get upset when someone publicly posts a speck stream but I don't ever complain about it. It's not always a great idea because the specks live in the streams all year and if they receive too much pressure the fishery in the stream can suffer big time from too many fish being kept. Steelhead make their way up spawn then leave back to the big lake so it's a completely different story. 

• Like 2

AGGGH